Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

10 weeks in Europe next spring/summer

G&Ts

G&Ts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, we've finally managed to coordinate work so that we can take a 10-week road trip next year - super exciting! The plan is to leave the UK on 26th April or 3rd May, and return on 5th or 12th July.

Now that it's finally happening, I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to go. We currently have two possible broad routes:

- Ferry to St Malo. Down west coast to San Sebastian.
- East across the Spanish Pyrenees, including Alto Gallego region, Ordesa, Ansiclo, Alquezar, Aigüestortes NP.
(c.3 weeks)
- Cut into France on N230/N125. Cathar region e.g. Tarascon-sur-Ariege, Chateau de Peyrepertuse, Minerve.
- Head east, possibly via Florac, Le Ciotat.
- Route Napoleon (including Verdon Gorge) north to Grenoble, then onto Annecy.
(c.2 weeks)
- Switzerland, including CERN, Bern, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Aare Gorge, Lake Oeschinensee, Seealpsee, Davos area.
(c.2 weeks)
- Italian Dolomites, possibly via Stelvio Pass.
- Austrian Alps, Grossglockner.
(c.2 weeks)
- swing back home via Bavarian Alps, possibly Black Forest.
(c. 1 week)

- Shuttle to Calais. Fast track to Tuscany via Nancy, Basel, Milan route.
- Tuscany e.g. Greve, San Gimignano, Siena, Val d'Orcia, Montepulciano, Terme di Saturnia.
(c.2 weeks)
- Ferry from Piombino/Livorno to Bastia on Corsica, possibly via Elba Island.
- Corsica loop Bastia-Bonifacio-Ajaccio-L'Ile-Reusse, stopping at beaches, villages etc.
(c.1-2 weeks)
- Ferry to Nice, then follow the Route Napoleon (including Verdon Gorge) up to Grenoble, onto Annecy.
(c. 1 week)
- Remainder as per route 1 taking in Switzerland, Dolomites, Austria, Germany.
(c.5-6 weeks)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on these options, and/or any other suggestions. A few (well several) points that might influence our route:

1. We generally enjoy gentle walks (we're not up to major hikes), kayaking, lake swimming, taking in beautiful scenery.
2. Husband will need to work remotely c.1 day a week, and to check in at other times. We're looking into options re Internet, power etc. (a whole separate conversation!)
3. Ease of finding places to stay without pre-booking, or booking only up to a few days ahead.
4. Will we need to book ferries far in advance for the Tuscany/Corsica Route, especially to get a cabin for the overnight leg? The routes currently available to book are showing as in high demand.
5. We've read concerning reports relating to crime/break-ins along the south coast of France. Is this area best avoided except for photo stops?
6. We tend to prefer quieter uncrowded places. I hear the Alps and Dolomites are very busy these days, but the scenery looks stunning. Is it that bad, and are there still quieter places in these areas in June?
7. We want to make the most if the time, but also don't want to feel like we're racing through and ticking places off a list. We'd like to take some time to slow down and soak up the scenery. Are we trying to do too much?
8. Will the suggested places in the Pyrenees be accessible in early-mid May? We have AWD (4motion) but don't want to be navigating hairpin bends in icy conditions.
9. We love mountain scenery, but will Pyrenees/Alps/Dolomites be overkill? Wondering if all mountains will start to look the same.

So much to think about... if anyone has any experience in these areas, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Just bare in mind that some mountain passes, like Stelio etc could well still be closed due to snow in May

Thanks colintfcolintf - that's a really good point. I don't think we'd reach the Alps/Dolomites until June with the routes we're looking at, but I understand some passes don't open until mid-late June.

I guess we'll have to keep an eye on things and have alternative routes in case.

Dolomites can be very busy, especially in high season. Southern Alps tend to be a bit more quiet (we like Barcelonnette).

Dolomites can be very busy, especially in high season. Southern Alps tend to be a bit more quiet (we like Barcelonnette).
Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't heard of Barcelonnette but it looks beautiful. I'll look into this area (we hadn't really considered Southern Alps).

It sounds like we might want to give the Dolomites a miss, or at least not plan to spend long there.

We did a France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy and back through France trip last year including some of the areas you have mentioned. Great trip but you are at the weathers mercy in April, May and June (Grossglockner was a fog-out with 2m of snow towards the top). If you need a bit more info I can dm you our route, campsites, etc.

I’d be interested in your route and campsites too. We are planning to do a similar route next year.

We did a France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Italy and back through France trip last year including some of the areas you have mentioned. Great trip but you are at the weathers mercy in April, May and June (Grossglockner was a fog-out with 2m of snow towards the top). If you need a bit more info I can dm you our route, campsites, etc.
That'd be great if you could send me details of your trip. We've done a couple of trips to Belgium, and also Slovenia (though not in the camper), so we're happy to skip those this time. We've been to France a few times, but the areas we're planning on going next year are all new to us so recommendations for campsites etc. would be gratefully received.

I imagine the weather in Tuscany and Corsica is likely to be more reliable than the Pyrenees in May, so that's a plus side for that route. We'll have to build in flexibility for the rest of the trip, though, especially considering this year's major floods in Switzerland and Italy.

Hi, we've finally managed to coordinate work so that we can take a 10-week road trip next year - super exciting! The plan is to leave the UK on 26th April or 3rd May, and return on 5th or 12th July.

Now that it's finally happening, I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to go. We currently have two possible broad routes:

- East across the Spanish Pyrenees, including Alto Gallego region, Ordesa, Ansiclo, Alquezar, Aigüestortes NP.
(c.3 weeks)
- Cut into France on N230/N125. Cathar region e.g. Tarascon-sur-Ariege, Chateau de Peyrepertuse, Minerve.
(c.2 weeks)
- Switzerland, including CERN, Bern, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Aare Gorge, Lake Oeschinensee, Seealpsee, Davos area.
(c.2 weeks)
(c.2 weeks)
(c. 1 week)

- Tuscany e.g. Greve, San Gimignano, Siena, Val d'Orcia, Montepulciano, Terme di Saturnia.
(c.2 weeks)
- Corsica loop Bastia-Bonifacio-Ajaccio-L'Ile-Reusse, stopping at beaches, villages etc.
(c.1-2 weeks)
- Ferry to Nice, then follow the Route Napoleon (including Verdon Gorge) up to Grenoble, onto Annecy.
(c. 1 week)
(c.5-6 weeks)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on these options, and/or any other suggestions. A few (well several) points that might influence our route:

1. We generally enjoy gentle walks (we're not up to major hikes), kayaking, lake swimming, taking in beautiful scenery.
2. Husband will need to work remotely c.1 day a week, and to check in at other times. We're looking into options re Internet, power etc. (a whole separate conversation!)
3. Ease of finding places to stay without pre-booking, or booking only up to a few days ahead.
4. Will we need to book ferries far in advance for the Tuscany/Corsica Route, especially to get a cabin for the overnight leg? The routes currently available to book are showing as in high demand.
5. We've read concerning reports relating to crime/break-ins along the south coast of France. Is this area best avoided except for photo stops?
6. We tend to prefer quieter uncrowded places. I hear the Alps and Dolomites are very busy these days, but the scenery looks stunning. Is it that bad, and are there still quieter places in these areas in June?
7. We want to make the most if the time, but also don't want to feel like we're racing through and ticking places off a list. We'd like to take some time to slow down and soak up the scenery. Are we trying to do too much?
8. Will the suggested places in the Pyrenees be accessible in early-mid May? We have AWD (4motion) but don't want to be navigating hairpin bends in icy conditions.
9. We love mountain scenery, but will Pyrenees/Alps/Dolomites be overkill? Wondering if all mountains will start to look the same.

So much to think about... if anyone has any experience in these areas, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.
Route No 1 ! It looks awesome!

I have recently tried asking couple of long routes on chat gpt. It’s free. I said that I wanted to go to Portugal from Caen in a campervan driving no more than 3h per day specifying I wanted nice sites, mentioned a few places to include, and it came back with a great itinerary.

I thought the reply was amazingly good, and at least a good framework

Try it and see if you agree!

(c.3 weeks)
(c.2 weeks)
(c.2 weeks)
(c.2 weeks)
(c. 1 week)

(c.2 weeks)
(c.1-2 weeks)
(c. 1 week)
(c.5-6 weeks)

Many thanks in advance.
Ok, one thing I've learnt after travelling many continents - don't over plan.

Keep both plans. You have 10 weeks! Take it as it comes. You will enjoy the trip more.

We only ever book the to and return tickets. Keep all else flexible. The joys of having your house with you at all times.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Some alternative routing ideas:

-> Basel, Lucerne, Brienz (Aare Gorge, Reichenbachfalls, Rothorn, Ballenberg), Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen (Schilthorn), Blausee, Oeschinensee, Kandersteg (Car train through Loetschberg tunnel), Simplon pass, Lago Maggiore, Milan
(c.2 weeks)
-> Piombino (Elba), Livorno, Lucca, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Portofino, Genoa (ferry to Corsica-Bastia)
(c.1-2 weeks)
(c. 1 week)
-> Geneva (CERN), Bern, Zurich, Davos, [Lo Stelvio Pass if open otherwise take car train from Klosters to Sagliains], Dolomites, Brenner to Austria, Germany
(c.5-6 weeks)

Keep both plans. You have 10 weeks! Take it as it comes. You will enjoy the trip more.

We only ever book the to and return tickets. Keep all else flexible. The joys of having your house with you at all times.

Enjoy!

Good idea, all I would add is that we never book a return ticket...... coz that way we can return from anywhere, anytime! (which is how is usually goes for us!)

I have recently tried asking couple of long routes on chat gpt. It’s free. I said that I wanted to go to Portugal from Caen in a campervan driving no more than 3h per day specifying I wanted nice sites, mentioned a few places to include, and it came back with a great itinerary.

I thought the reply was amazingly good, and at least a good framework

Try it and see if you agree!
That's interesting to hear your experience. I've been a bit of a sceptic and read less positive reviews last year around using chat gpt to plan routes, but I guess it's improving all the time. Perhaps it's time to take the plunge, have a play and see what it comes up with!

Enjoy!

That sounds like sage advice. I'm an obsessive planner, but one of the main points of the trip is to enjoy the freedom and flexibility of the camper, without the deadlines etc. that we've both been battling through at work. So we'll definitely take that an board and stick to researching the amazing places we could visit without pinning ourselves down.

Last edited:
Some alternative routing ideas:

-> Basel, Lucerne, Brienz (Aare Gorge, Reichenbachfalls, Rothorn, Ballenberg), Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen (Schilthorn), Blausee, Oeschinensee, Kandersteg (Car train through Loetschberg tunnel), Simplon pass, Lago Maggiore, Milan
(c.2 weeks)
-> Piombino (Elba), Livorno, Lucca, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Portofino, Genoa (ferry to Corsica-Bastia)
(c.1-2 weeks)
(c. 1 week)
-> Geneva (CERN), Bern, Zurich, Davos, [Lo Stelvio Pass if open otherwise take car train from Klosters to Sagliains], Dolomites, Brenner to Austria, Germany
(c.5-6 weeks)
Many thanks for these suggestions - definitely food for thought! I hadn't realised there are car trains in these areas so will look into these more, along with the other stops you've mentioned. We used a car train in Slovenia and it made for a fun trip.

I had looked at Cinque Terre and Portofino, but it looked like driving/parking could be tricky. Do you happen to have any recommendations for parking spots with easy access to these areas? I read you can park in La Spezia and get the train to Cinque Terre, but then I realised it's underground parking and the ceiling looked very low.

Last edited:
Good idea, all I would add is that we never book a return ticket...... coz that way we can return from anywhere, anytime! (which is how is usually goes for us!)
Ah I wish we could return anytime... I'm sure we'd be away much longer than 10 weeks! It's going to be a shock to the system, coming home on the weekend and back to the routine on Monday. But I won't think about that now .

I had looked at Cinque Terre and Portofino, but it looked like driving/parking could be tricky. Do you happen to have any recommendations for parking spots with easy access to these areas? I read you can park in La Spezia and get the train to Cinque Terre, but then I realised it's underground parking and the ceiling looked very low.
We stayed on a campsite in Levanto and used boats and trains to visit Cinque Terre. Stunning area but very busy in all the coastal villages - and I mean very, very busy. And some of the coastal paths were shut which was a shame. On saying that it was hot last June/July.

While we were in Italy this year some of the campsites were very busy with Germans. Apparently some have Pentecost holidays for about 2 weeks in May. There were also a lot of public holidays around the same period for French and Swiss too so the campsites were full on the weekends.

A thought, though I have not visited myself (they also have camping it appears):

Ah I wish we could return anytime... I'm sure we'd be away much longer than 10 weeks! It's going to be a shock to the system, coming home on the weekend and back to the routine on Monday. But I won't think about that now .
I know......... however there is a lot to be said for not booking the return..... you can (and we nearly always do) find yourself a long way from the return port........ and of course you can also come back early if you've 'had enough' (happens to us at about 6 to 8 weeks, then were over it).

We stayed on a campsite in Levanto and used boats and trains to visit Cinque Terre. Stunning area but very busy in all the coastal villages - and I mean very, very busy. And some of the coastal paths were shut which was a shame. On saying that it was hot last June/July.
Thanks - I'll check out Levanto, though this is making me think that area might just be too crowded for us, unless perhaps we gave it a shot in early/mid May.

Last edited:
While we were in Italy this year some of the campsites were very busy with Germans. Apparently some have Pentecost holidays for about 2 weeks in May. There were also a lot of public holidays around the same period for French and Swiss too so the campsites were full on the weekends.
Ah okay, that's really handy to know. I've been checking out national holidays and noticed Ascension Day and Pentecost aren't public holidays in Italy, so thought it might be a good place to be around those dates. But I guess a lot of people will be travelling, so we won't really be able to avoid that and might have to plan a bit ahead around those dates, regardless of where we go.

I know......... however there is a lot to be said for not booking the return..... you can (and we nearly always do) find yourself a long way from the return port........ and of course you can also come back early if you've 'had enough' (happens to us at about 6 to 8 weeks, then were over it).
I'm kind of hoping that won't happen ;) but it's always possible...