Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

180 PS, nippy or what!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just been loaned 180 PS double door specc'd up kombi by dealer whilst cali in for warranty work (sep post!)
wow how nippy and reponsive especially pulling away up thru second and third and hitting pedal in higher gears...feels like my 2 litre beetle only lighter! If I did urban driving and used it daily I'd have to have this! fun to drive or what! Mind you, cali is a heavier beast but bet 180 Beaches drive like this. now I can see what the 180 folks enjoy about more power!
However am more than happy with my 140 decision with Cali as does all I want and need :D

David Eccles said:
Just been loaned 180 PS double door specc'd up kombi by dealer whilst cali in for warranty work (sep post!)
wow how nippy and reponsive especially pulling away up thru second and third and hitting pedal in higher gears...feels like my 2 litre beetle only lighter! If I did urban driving and used it daily I'd have to have this! fun to drive or what! Mind you, cali is a heavier beast but bet 180 Beaches drive like this. now I can see what the 180 folks enjoy about more power!
However am more than happy with my 140 decision with Cali as does all I want and need :D

HI David

Was good to meet up at COTF. Kombi's feel much lighter and more responsive than full Cali's due to much less weight. Beach is similar, feels much nippier and more responsive than full Cali.

Refinement of the full Cali I feel is much better.

Hope you are getting your Cali sorted :)

James

Hi David,

180 Cali is great especially with my tribe. 5 people plus all our kit and usually 4 bikes... sometimes even a kayak.

You feel the difference when not fully loaded.

Cheers
Mark :hello

They do go well WHEN RUN IN!

Took until 8k miles then it felt like it had been chipped - suddenly much quicker but also better on fuel.

Surprised a few rep-mobiles up hills - it's not a fast van but you can maintain a pretty good pace thanks to the fairly good spread of torque. 4Motion gives you that extra bit of confidence in the bends too ;)

KernowLad said:

Took until 8k miles then it felt like it had been chipped - suddenly much quicker but also better on fuel.

Surprised a few rep-mobiles up hills - it's not a fast van but you can maintain a pretty good pace thanks to the fairly good spread of torque. 4Motion gives you that extra bit of confidence in the bends too ;)

At work we have a swear box - i propose that here on the forum we have something called 'The 4 Motion Box'

Everytime you cram 4 Motion into a post, particularly those which have little to do with 4 Motion you should donate a pound to Help the Heroes Charity.

:crazy

James said:
KernowLad said:

At work we have a swear box - i propose that here on the forum we have something called 'The 4 Motion Box'

Everytime you cram 4 Motion into a post, particularly those which have little to do with 4 Motion you should donate a pound to Help the Heroes Charity.

:laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2

i must admit the handling gets even better when lowered and on larger alloys ... :smile

I'm going to buy a new van...

It will be 4motion, DSG with Xenons.

Rilla said:
Oh, and I forgot.

It will also have air suspension.

:smile :smile :smile :smile :smile

Oh and i see when we were driving back from COTF your 180 berg went easy on my tree hugging BMT 115bhp - :thanks

It does do 70 (eventually)

James

180 all the way for me :mrgreen:

James said:
Rilla said:
Oh, and I forgot.

Oh and i see when we were driving back from COTF your 180 berg went easy on my tree hugging BMT 115bhp - :thanks

James

Yes James, you seemed to have a calming effect on me, the little Cali convoy looked good. I would usually have been off at warp speed! :shocked

Rilla said:
James said:
Rilla said:
Oh, and I forgot.

James

Yes James, you seemed to have a calming effect on me, the little Cali convoy looked good. I would usually have been off at warp speed! :shocked

lol it did look good - :)

those xenon's must help you get real close to those tree's when hugging them ... :D

James said:
KernowLad said:

Entirely relavant to the thread though unlike all the 4motion threads you comment on. :headbang

I have xenons, 4 motion and dsg on the ED25......... :eek:

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
I have xenons, 4 motion and dsg on the ED25......... :eek:

It would count if it was a Cali ;)

Nice to see someone that actually HAS 4motion and understands what it does rather than all the FWD detractors that have no idea ;)

No one needed 4motion to get off the field on Sunday, after a very wet weekend. :cool:

Rilla said:
No one needed 4motion to get off the field on Sunday, after a very wet weekend. :cool:

Oh, it must be pointless then. :headbang

Back on topic; a bare 180 van really is quite a nippy thing; under 10 seconds to sixty! Add over two seconds for the weighty Cali.

180 is nice to drive, but does take a few miles to break in as has been said. Has anyone here had a 174 and then a 180 and had for a while to compare and what they prefer?

Cheers

I think i would rather have a fwd vw over a rwd BMW any day ....but when I'm rich enough I will have a Cali with more spec than in the vw catalogue :)

That's another debate and in my opinion down to personal preference.

Just remember to buy your replacement Cali from us though :smile

choplee said:
I think i would rather have a fwd vw over a rwd BMW any day ....but when I'm rich enough I will have a Cali with more spec than in the vw catalogue :)

Fine, you're not a keen driver then. Not all of us are.

I'd only have the Golf R (or one of their nice SUVs)as its 4WD. FWD is "easy," cheaper to make but driving and steering all through the same wheels is quite obviously flawed. But 95% of drivers don't need or want anything more.

We aren't all the same; its more that the constant anti 4motion bleaters don't have it and don't understand it; to them its not worth having. Which for them, is true.

KernowLad said:
choplee said:

Fine, you're not a keen driver then. Not all of us are.

I'd only have the Golf R (or one of their nice SUVs)as its 4WD. FWD is "easy," cheaper to make but driving and steering all through the same wheels is quite obviously flawed. But 95% of drivers don't need or want anything more.

We aren't all the same; its more that the constant anti 4motion bleaters don't have it and don't understand it; to them its not worth having. Which for them, is true.
You know what kernow you really can be a complete arse sometimes.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back