Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2008 California fridge issues

S

Senoj

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Thanks for letting me join the club. I have owned a California for three years and read many of the reviews posted and I am now needing information on the dreaded fridge problem. I’ve changed the controller and it now shows that it’s working but it’s not cooling, tried resetting the display but still no joy

Thanks for letting me join the club. I have owned a California for three years and read many of the reviews posted and I am now needing information on the dreaded fridge problem. I’ve changed the controller and it now shows that it’s working but it’s not cooling, tried resetting the display but still no joy
You say the fridge is working electrically. No errors in Control Panel diagnostics section?
Does the fridge compressor come on and stay on but no cooling?
If that is the case then the refrigerant gas may be too low to work and the fridge needs to be checked for leaks in the cooling circuit and re-gassed.

Thanks for the reply, I have read many of your posts but now as a member I hope to read the one giving code information on the control panel. When I did the reset it showed a tick against the second battery but haven’t a clue what that means so more research I think

Hello again WelshGas I fitted a new controller and that then showed on the screen that the fridge was on but no sound or vibration from the unit itself. I am going to try it on hookup in case the leisure battery is duff

Hello again WelshGas I fitted a new controller and that then showed on the screen that the fridge was on but no sound or vibration from the unit itself. I am going to try it on hookup in case the leisure battery is duff
If the Control Panel voltage drops to or below 11.5v on fridge startup it will not run.

Connected hook up to mains switched the fridge on and still the same issue so left it for a while and no difference, battery read 12.5 volt before hook up and 14 volt on the mains. Audible click when switching on or off on the controller but nothing else :help

Connected hook up to mains switched the fridge on and still the same issue so left it for a while and no difference, battery read 12.5 volt before hook up and 14 volt on the mains. Audible click when switching on or off on the controller but nothing else :help
Any Diagnostic Codes on the Control Panel.?

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.
Control Panel Off and wait 30 secs
Control Panel On
Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.
New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.
If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.
Return to Main Menu.
Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.
Try Roof/Heater or Fridge

Did the reset today and no codes or errors shown so put the heater on and it worked fine, again turned the fridge on, the tick appeared but still not functioning :mad: contacted a camper company and they have no space until October for diagnostic and then a further wait for work to be done so it’s keep on reading for solution

Did the reset today and no codes or errors shown so put the heater on and it worked fine, again turned the fridge on, the tick appeared but still not functioning :mad: contacted a camper company and they have no space until October for diagnostic and then a further wait for work to be done so it’s keep on reading for solution
Unless your camper company has knowledge of and expertise on the California and the VW Control Panel it think you might be in the same position in November.

Personally I would take a trip to Penguin in Southampton. Probably cheaper despite travelling.

Bought the controller from penguin as they checked the original and it was faulty. Today I disconnected the controller and checked for voltage on the input cable and it was zero whether the fridge was turned on or off at the control panel. I would guess that there should be a permanent voltage to the fridge controller and maybe it’s a fuse but I am no electrician

Bought the controller from penguin as they checked the original and it was faulty. Today I disconnected the controller and checked for voltage on the input cable and it was zero whether the fridge was turned on or off at the control panel. I would guess that there should be a permanent voltage to the fridge controller and maybe it’s a fuse but I am no electrician
Check the 10 amp fuses under the front passenger seat RHD.
Turn seat through 90o and slide backwards towards kitchen unit.
Ideally use a multimeter , otherwise swap in a new fuse.

Changed the 10amp fuse checked the fear, it read 12v, plugged it all back together and voila all working. I will check it again in a few days when shopping but hopefully a positive outcome, many thanks for past and present posts :thanks

Changed the 10amp fuse checked the fear, it read 12v, plugged it all back together and voila all working. I will check it again in a few days when shopping but hopefully a positive outcome, many thanks for past and present posts :thanks
Glad you are all sorted.