Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2011 Cali T5. Parking sensors or camera?

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All

I've scoured the forum but can't find a recent discussion on this.

I don't have reversing aids apart from mirrors, neck agility and good judgement. This appears to be letting me down as I now have a v shape bend in the top row of the bike rack after a reversing prang into a lamp post. It's bang centre in the middle so I might leave it as it is.

Anyway, after sale reversing aids. What are the issues installing? Wiring very problematical?
Is a camera worth it?
Aren't the aids sufficient and easier to install. I have them on my car so OK with them.
Is it a job for VW dealers?

Thanks as ever

Paul and Mary

I don't have reversing camera on my Cali, which has sensors only, but do have a camera (factory fit) on one of our cars, so have experienced both.

IMO sensors are a much more useful/important safety feature than a camera, and if it was either/or I would go for sensors every time. When reversing a larger vehicle like a van, the side mirrors are crucial - while the sensors are the best way to give you an audible warning of anything right behind. or when backing into a bay, etc. Having to switch constantly between side mirrors and a dashboard camera monitor is not ideal.

Others will inevitably disagree! :D

My Ocean had sensors fitted. I installed a genuine vw rear view camera to the tailgate and it makes a huge difference when reversing.

The rear view camera is automatically activated when I go in to reverse gear and goes off when I drive away.

The camera proved its worth when I found myself in a blind carpark at night with cars tightly parked either side.

The guidelines with the camera provide very good markings of where the gap is and how to turn the steering wheel.

My Ocean had sensors fitted. I installed a genuine vw rear view camera to the tailgate and it makes a huge difference when reversing.

The rear view camera is automatically activated when I go in to reverse gear and goes off when I drive away.

The camera proved its worth when I found myself in a blind carpark at night with cars tightly parked either side.

The guidelines with the camera provide very good markings of where the gap is and how to turn the steering wheel.
Thanks ,
Interesting.
How much was it to buy and fit? I was led to believe that the wiring from headset to rear was a big job and involved much loosening of interior fittings etc.
Was it a dealership job?
Paul

Thanks ,
Interesting.
How much was it to buy and fit? I was led to believe that the wiring from headset to rear was a big job and involved much loosening of interior fittings etc.
Was it a dealership job?
Paul
No I did it myself.

Kit was on ebay from Germany. Arrived quickly and was around £200. Instructions were in German, but I was able to translate with Google translator.

I needed to remove the tailgate panel in order to gain access to the wiper motor and to cut 40x40 hole above number plate. Using a Dremel this was fairly easy - but take time to mark out clearly before cutting.
The camera power is taken from the wiper motor. All cables correct length and vw taped. Camera is vw marked.

Running wiring to the head unit did not require too many panels to be removed. Using blunt plastic tool I was able to push cables behind the plastic panels.

I did need to use my vcds tool to enable the camera to the vw systems.

I can provide images of the installed camera and the head unit display if required. Also details where bought. Let me know.

If your Cali if a pre T6 then cutting the hole is a lot simpler, as you can remove the plastic panel the camera will fit in to. Also no issue re anti corrosion treatment.

I only have sensors and have been fine. I would say sensors great, camera as well even better.

Back