Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2012 SE tyre load rating question

Richp

Richp

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
New van for us.
Dealer fitted 2 new front tyres as MOT advisory indicated low tread.
They fitted 99 load rating.
Just noticed this as I went to check pressures.
Rears are 103 Heavy Load.
Am I right that the Mon load rating should be 103, and the dealer has fitted the wrong tyres? Want to be sure of my info before challenging the dealer.
If I'm right, do 99's invalidate insurance? Or have higher risk of blow outs etc?
Thanks

Seems like they just threw on some passenger car tyres.
You definately need at least 102, or even 103. This you can find in the certificate of conformity, delivered by VW.
You need to look at the maximum axle weight.

And the tyre must read like this: 215/65 R16C 103H (this is my tyre, except mine is 102/100)
The C stands for carrier, which your van is.

Agree ^
You should have a sticker on the door jamb telling you a few
different sizes and load rating.

Thanks both of you. I knew it was wrong!! Thanks for confirming. I'll call the dealer now. The ones on the back which are 103 loading don't have the C.. for carrier... is that a legal requirement?

New van for us.
Dealer fitted 2 new front tyres as MOT advisory indicated low tread.
They fitted 99 load rating.
VW Dealer !!!!!!!! ?. 103 were standard on our 180 t5 Cali from new. think both insurance and Police Accident investigators with have something to say following an incident.

Thanks both of you. I knew it was wrong!! Thanks for confirming. I'll call the dealer now. The ones on the back which are 103 loading don't have the C.. for carrier... is that a legal requirement?
Don't know about the C being a legal requirement, but you can search the internet for your rear tyres. Look up the website of the brand, and configure your tyre. Make sure you select tyres for vans. If they are there, without the C, then you are ok.

VW Dealer !!!!!!!! ?. 103 were standard on our 180 t5 Cali from new. think both insurance and Police Accident investigators with have something to say following an incident.
Inde dealer...

You can have a 103 without the C on your Cali.

My winter ones are without the C and I've found it a better ride as the sidewalls
aren't as hard as the Cs.

In my humble opinion if your rear tyres are rated 103 then so should your fronts. My logic is simple. If you have a puncture you will presumably put on your spare and it should have the same rating as the other tyre on the same axle. Ergo all 5 tyres should have the same rating, in your case 103. No argument.
(of course I assume you do have a spare wheel)

In my humble opinion if your rear tyres are rated 103 then so should your fronts. My logic is simple. If you have a puncture you will presumably put on your spare and it should have the same rating as the other tyre on the same axle. Ergo all 5 tyres should have the same rating, in your case 103. No argument.
(of course I assume you do have a spare wheel)
They do not necessarily need to be the same. The need to be at minimum the right weight index = 103.
They only need to be the same per axle. The best case is of course to be all the same weight index, but at least they must be the same per axle.

The need to be at minimum the right weight index = 103.
They only need to be the same per axle. The best case is of course to be all the same weight index, but at least they must be the same per axle.
My point is that if you have different rated tyres front and back then a single spare tyre can not satisfy having the same rating on the one axle in the event of a puncture simply because a single tyre can not have two ratings and so the safe solution is to all five the same rating - and then you don't have to worry. :thumb

From that point, you are right.

What with modern cars with those bicycle spare wheels? A spare tyre is not for long term use. So a little less important.

From that point, you are right.

What with modern cars with those bicycle spare wheels? A spare tyre is not for long term use. So a little less important.
= speed restrictions that are clear to all. Not so in the case of tyre load specifications.

Doesn’t have to have the “C” but must have the correct loading or greater and correct speed rating of “H” or above.
As regards Insurance, yes it could invalidate it. In the event of a substantial claim they check everything is to Manufacturers standards or greater.

Back