Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2013 T5 drivers side folding/heated electric mirror replacement

dxhanley

dxhanley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Bashed the mirror into a tree today - very low parking speed but enough to break mirror glass and stop the folding motor working, just emailed VW and they are saying 2 parts to be replaced:
"No8" £239+VAT
"No.12 £64+VAT

Oh and then fitting at £165+VAT

Please encourage me to buy the part and fit it myself - any views of good sources?? Off to Skye next week.......... cheers - Dave

VW.png

vw 1.jpg

vw 2.jpg

I have one of those after some fool clouted ours and broke it. Fiddly but straightforward job. If you have radio satnav aerials in the mirror then you will have to cut and rejoin the cable to get it through various holes.
The most awkward bit I found was getting the rod for the lock through the hole in the door card. Solved it by puttig a bit of plastic tube down the hole in the door card, pushing it over the locking rod and then it guides itself back through the hole when you replce the door card.
There is also this. Unfortunately I didn't find this until I had bought the complete mirror but now have one ready for next time.

The Travelinlite repair bracket is not compatible with electric folding wing mirrors, so say Travelinlite. Not sure if yours is electrically folding. You can buy, I think, a complete heated, electrically adjustable, electrically folding replacement mirror from Eurocar Parts for about £180.

It is quite easy to replace the mirror yourself.
3 screws in the door (T30). Door card = 2x Philips 3 screws, 1 T25 under the rubber mat in the doorcard (or if you have Transporter door card, in the middle of the card, and 3 T25 or T20 at the bottom.
Tug the card towards you, breaking the clips if it is too cold. Push the card upwards to get it out.
Unplug all the connectors to the mirror. Pull everything out by grabbing the mirror (unscrew mirror as last).
Normally no need for cutting wires, but gently pulling everything outwards from the mirror side.

Oh, that bush is not for electric folding mirrors, only for manual folding. The folding mechanism is the electric motor.
I ordered such a bush in China for €7. And replaced it in my dad's T6 after a meet with a Mercedes Vito.
Only tricky part is the heavy spring. Apart from that, easy piece of pie.
Taking out the areal for the radio, GPS antenna, complete wiring for the mirror adjustment motor, replacing bush, put everything back together, had to buy 1 plastic trim from VW, and that's it. The rest was reusable.
IMG_20200110_155835.jpg

Back