Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2017 Beach - Discover Media DAB issue

M

Mitch

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi guys - not sure if anyone can help! I have a late 2017 Beach that was factory fitted with the Discover Media Navigation system - option code ZI7. I've only owned a couple of weeks and noticed the other day that there is no DAB radio functionality... It's only possible to select between FM and AM.

It's in at the dealer today for some other warranty work and I asked them to take a look and they said they have checked their 'system' and DAB is not standard!

I've owned numerous VWs over the years with the same setup and they have all had DAB - can anyone confirm that the Discover Media Navigation system in the T6 has no DAB? I find it difficult to believe on a vehicle this new but I could be wrong!

Thanks for reading.

There was something about this I remember. Where some beach models were sent with the wrong radio from the factory. Someone else in here will remember more clearly. Our 68 beach with that option has DAB radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys - not sure if anyone can help! I have a late 2017 Beach that was factory fitted with the Discover Media Navigation system - option code ZI7. I've only owned a couple of weeks and noticed the other day that there is no DAB radio functionality... It's only possible to select between FM and AM.

It's in at the dealer today for some other warranty work and I asked them to take a look and they said they have checked their 'system' and DAB is not standard!

I've owned numerous VWs over the years with the same setup and they have all had DAB - can anyone confirm that the Discover Media Navigation system in the T6 has no DAB? I find it difficult to believe on a vehicle this new but I could be wrong!

Thanks for reading.
Post 25 onwards.

Wow thanks WelshGas. I've just read through that thread and am rather gobsmacked! So this was a known factory issue (probably because they ran out of parts)...

As my vehicle is second-hand and the previous owner has left the country I doubt I'm going to get anywhere with VW which seems crazy. Had it failed it would be fixed under warranty.

I have no desire to put any aftermarket equipment anywhere!

Wow thanks WelshGas. I've just read through that thread and am rather gobsmacked! So this was a known factory issue (probably because they ran out of parts)...

As my vehicle is second-hand and the previous owner has left the country I doubt I'm going to get anywhere with VW which seems crazy. Had it failed it would be fixed under warranty.

I have no desire to put any aftermarket equipment anywhere!
You could try it as a warranty issue.

If you discovered after 2 1/2 years of ownership that the incorrect spare tyre was fitted at the factory, I'd expect the correct spare tyre to be fitted under warranty.

My original RCD310 has DAB too. But as I never listen to the radio when driving (only my own music plays), I never had the use of it.
Don't have DAB now on my Chinese unit as I still don't listen to the radio, only music on SD-card.
I think DAB is still optional, so trying to rectify it through warranty could be a miss.
If the car was never ordered with DAB, the only thing you could do is buy a new unit, an antenna cable, and if you are lucky, you already have the DAB antenna in the right mirror.
Or you could always buy a DAB receiver that transmits the signal through FM. Then you just tune to a certain frequency to receive the DAB.

I agree. If your vehicle left the factory without a function that it should have had according to the UK spec, then that's VW's fault. Therefore, it should be a straight forward warranty claim. Since your vehicle is less than three years old, it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't matter that the previous owner has left the country. You are the current owner with the balance of the manufacturers warranty. VW should rectify this regardless of who owns it.

Start with your local dealer. If they get difficult then refer the matter to VW Customer Services. Quote the spec in the 2017 UK brochure as a reference. I believe you can access that on this forum. If they know it was an issue, they shouldn't quibble.

I agree. If your vehicle left the factory without a function that it should have had according to the UK spec, then that's VW's fault. Therefore, it should be a straight forward warranty claim. Since your vehicle is less than three years old, it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't matter that the previous owner has left the country. You are the current owner with the balance of the manufacturers warranty. VW should rectify this regardless of who owns it.

Start with your local dealer. If they get difficult then refer the matter to VW Customer Services. Quote the spec in the 2017 UK brochure as a reference. I believe you can access that on this forum. If they know it was an issue, they shouldn't quibble.
After posting, the thought came to me that the original owner might have already made a claim for the missing DAB.

Just to add to this : I have a 2017 Beach -bought as a pre reg demonstrator- which missed out on DAB. I did reach a settlement with VW when I found out and was guided to some extent on this via the Forum. I guess the issue here is whether you bought from a dealer ( in which case there was presumably some spec listing with the vehicle ) or privately . When selling I shall point out that DAB was never fitted and that it hasn’t been an issue for me. There are aftermarket solutions if it is a deal breaker for anyone.

Just to add to this : I have a 2017 Beach -bought as a pre reg demonstrator- which missed out on DAB. I did reach a settlement with VW.
Same outcome here. I just stream from phone via aux if I need a DAB only broadcast. The compensation went towards 4 service package. There's a lot of late 17 Beaches who share this unique retro feature.

Thanks and agree - it’s in with the dealer at the moment but they just keep quoting that the ‘system’ says it’s not fitted... I don’t think I’m going to get anywhere with them sadly. I will persist and see what VW HQ say though!

Same outcome here. I just stream from phone via aux if I need a DAB only broadcast. The compensation went towards 4 service package. There's a lot of late 17 Beaches who share this unique retro feature.
Does anyone know if this was unique to Beaches or T6s in general from the time?

Does anyone know if this was unique to Beaches or T6s in general from the time?
It seems to just be a batch of late 2017 Beaches. They were built to German spec radiowise. No dab aerial in wingmirror etc. Ours was a brand new pre reg. No joy from dealer, it was VW Customer Services that eventually yielded to the "its not built as advertised " line of argument.
Initially they suggested an awful add on dab box like the ones Halfords sell. Pointed out you dont buy a cali to add silly add ons.

Good luck

It seems to just be a batch of late 2017 Beaches. They were built to German spec radiowise. No dab aerial in wingmirror etc. Ours was a brand new pre reg. No joy from dealer, it was VW Customer Services that eventually yielded to the "its not built as advertised " line of argument.
Initially they suggested an awful add on dab box like the ones Halfords sell. Pointed out you dont buy a cali to add silly add ons.

Good luck
Thanks OGII. I’m going to try and find some obscure consumer rights law to help me along!

Back