Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2022 Coast - Auto headlights query

Themadwife

Themadwife

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
As evenings getting darker I’ve had to use the headlights for first time, in last couple of weeks.

Finding the auto dipping is erratic. We have this on our Ford Kuga and it works perfectly, but on my van it takes ages to start up. Once it gets going it’s ok, but last night it wouldn’t work until I had manually dipped it a few times…

Any feedback would be appreciated. I know lots of people don’t like the option, but I love it on the Kuga, and paid extra for it

The speed limits can be reprogrammed. Generally user satisfaction seems to improve if they are.

Finding the auto dipping is erratic.
Wait till you drive a Tesla - downright pathetic in what is a new generation car.

I think VW have it just about right. My only expectations at times is for it to dip a wee bit quicker and not flash the oncoming car. The speed limit features is a good implementation as then, in town (or where there is street lighting at regular intervals) it is always using dipped beam.

I have found it to be pretty solid on my new Cali... just annoying that you seem to have to activate it each time rather than it being always on. I am finding it more reliable than my previous Landrover one and I was quite impressed with that.

Wait till you drive a Tesla - downright pathetic in what is a new generation car.

I think VW have it just about right. My only expectations at times is for it to dip a wee bit quicker and not flash the oncoming car. The speed limit features is a good implementation as then, in town (or where there is street lighting at regular intervals) it is always using dipped beam.
Does it auto-dip them when you slow to below 30mph then?
and put them back on high beam when you accelerate to above 30mph?

The operation of auto dipping and the criteria of when / how it occurs can be recalibrated by a VW dealer,

some have reported having it done after fitting aftermarket windscreen.

Apparently the thickness of the windscreen can affect its operation.

take in back to the dealer as it is a safety issue (safety of other road users)

Does it auto-dip them when you slow to below 30mph then?
and put them back on high beam when you accelerate to above 30mph?
It auto dips when in town, and that I put it down to the system detecting light, more than the 30 mph limit. Have not been through any 30 mph dark zones yet to try it out. I may just try this out on one of the roads near my house this weekend.

It dips when it detects street lighting (not dependent on speed) as it has done it on lighted A-roads with a 50 mph limit and no vehicles (read head/tail lights) in sight.

Once you switch the vehicle off and then on again, you have to set it back to auto high beam on my T6. The status from the previous driving session is not maintained.

As evenings getting darker I’ve had to use the headlights for first time, in last couple of weeks.

Finding the auto dipping is erratic. We have this on our Ford Kuga and it works perfectly, but on my van it takes ages to start up. Once it gets going it’s ok, but last night it wouldn’t work until I had manually dipped it a few times…

Any feedback would be appreciated. I know lots of people don’t like the option, but I love it on the Kuga, and paid extra for it
Me too, I paid extra for it because on my Opel Grandland it worked perfect so I checked it on the order form. In the cali it does not work great at all. When you put the automatic high beem, it decides itself when the high beem is needed: no street lights, no oncoming traffic or reflective signs: it just doesn't work like it should and stays out or reacts too slow. Like you said, you need to manually put on the high beems a few times and then the system knows it has to work. Barely.

Ours works well (6.1 Ocean), and better reaction time than in my Volvo. But, the activation above 40mph confused me to start with, and it’s annoying when on narrow roads and you’re taking it easy.

Anyone know if the activation speed can be adjusted using a Carista module?

If it's the 8G1 option code it only works above 40mph. Is it possible you were close to or below this speed?
Yes, I was driving initially through a village without street lights and then a country road - because it didn’t come on I probably kept under 40mph until I played with the dipping stick and it worked - I probably increased my speed then so I can change the speed when it comes in? I will Google that, thanks

Me too, I paid extra for it because on my Opel Grandland it worked perfect so I checked it on the order form. In the cali it does not work great at all. When you put the automatic high beem, it decides itself when the high beem is needed: no street lights, no oncoming traffic or reflective signs: it just doesn't work like it should and stays out or reacts too slow. Like you said, you need to manually put on the high beems a few times and then the system knows it has to work. Barely.
Exactly - I was driving through unlit village, followed by dark narrow country road …

Yes, I was driving initially through a village without street lights and then a country road - because it didn’t come on I probably kept under 40mph until I played with the dipping stick and it worked - I probably increased my speed then so I can change the speed when it comes in? I will Google that, thanks
It's probably going to need someone with vcds, obdeleven, carista etc. If you don't know what that is adding the terms to Google will probably give you an idea.

The most likely commercial places to get this done are the various transporter tuning shops.

Back