Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2024 Grand facelift

J

Jimmylondon07

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thought this was interesting, looks quite similar to the T7 Multivan from a cockpit design perspective.

This sounds really interesting

We are moving back to the U.K. early next year and was planning on ordering our GC but might just wait a little now?

Looks like the facelift is due around Q2 2024, not a lot of change to the outside except perhaps the new bumpers to freshen it up and bring it more inline with the T6.1
But a lot of changes to the cab and the tech

Talk of new sensors and “cameras” (not camera) so I wonder if it will get 360 view, could be handy on a large van like the GC
https://press.mantruckandbus.com/corporate/man-tge-next-level-to-reach-customers--in-mid-2024/

As someone who drives a new Octavia RS daily, I can say that the infotainment system is not good... This appears to be the same thing VAG has been plastering in all it's recent cars. Software has been very glitchy even with many many updates they have done.

I did not see the shifter anywhere...? The hole where it used to be should go away.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It’s on a stalk off the steering column.
Ahh I zoomed in and seen that the wiper stalk is now on the left - so un-VAG, and the light controls are like MK8 Golf on the bottom of the dash.

As someone who deals with vehicles architecture on daily basis.. I cringe at the fact everyone is switching to screens to control most functions of the car. When that screen fails, and it will... You won't be able to even get heat to work.

Ahh I zoomed in and seen that the wiper stalk is now on the left - so un-VAG, and the light controls are like MK8 Golf on the bottom of the dash.

As someone who deals with vehicles architecture on daily basis.. I cringe at the fact everyone is switching to screens to control most functions of the car. When that screen fails, and it will... You won't be able to even get heat to work.

Tell me about it, I drive a Volvo which uses google pretty much for everything, great when it works. But if you can't get a data signal you can't even enter anything on the Sat Nav. This is a real headache when trying to input your next destination from somewhere without a sufficient signal....

Tell me about it, I drive a Volvo which uses google pretty much for everything, great when it works. But if you can't get a data signal you can't even enter anything on the Sat Nav. This is a real headache when trying to input your next destination from somewhere without a sufficient signal....
I had a '21 V60 lease for a short while until I got my Octavia... The infotainment in the Volvo was horrible. I can relate!

I guess it had to happen sooner or later…:sorry

I had a '21 V60 lease for a short while until I got my Octavia... The infotainment in the Volvo was horrible. I can relate!
My brother had a 21 V60 also. First time he took me out in it we got to the end of the road and the whole screen went blank.

To fix it we got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it, got back in and it seemed to work again!

He sold it within 6 months and hasn’t owned a car since then!

My brother had a 21 V60 also. First time he took me out in it we got to the end of the road and the whole screen went blank.

To fix it we got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it, got back in and it seemed to work again!

He sold it within 6 months and hasn’t owned a car since then!
Maybe Ford selling to a Chinese auto company wasn't such a good idea after all. Shame as Volvo always had a premium reputation.

It’s on a stalk off the steering column.
That can be fun!
Our Merc GLC has the gear shift on a stalk exactly where the wipers are on the van, instead of windscreen washers, the button on the end of the stalk puts it park! fortunately it won't do it unless you have stopped.
With that & the cruise & radio controls being transposed there's a bit of mental adjustment to be done when swapping between them. In fact apart from the steering wheel & pedals I'm struggling to think of any control thats in the same place.

The screen failing is one thing but I cringe at having to shift my attention to a screen off to the side in order to to aim my finger at some icon.

I'm someone with adhd. I learnt very early on I need to stare straight when driving. Looking off to the side doesn't work. Neither does lots of screens & flashing controls, so VAG vans work well for me. Shame if that changes.

As someone who drives a new Octavia RS daily, I can say that the infotainment system is not good... This appears to be the same thing VAG has been plastering in all it's recent cars. Software has been very glitchy even with many many updates they have done.

I did not see the shifter anywhere...? The hole where it used to be should go away.

Exactly, real buttons are replaced by touch surfaces in some strange race against Tesla.

Exactly, real buttons are replaced by touch surfaces in some strange race against Tesla.
Not going to fly too well with tradesman who depend on physical controls.

Imagine Hans the Builder who is driving to his construction site being aggravated by all the touchscreen nonsense just to change the HVAC.

This is what happens when focus groups are missing and you let bean counters take control.

It's easier/cheaper to get everything into a screen since there are no need for any buttons anymore. When it fails outside of warranty a big screen is going to cost thousands vs few bux for a physical knob/button.

Hello,

As mentioned before, a facelift has to happen sooner or later.

Going through the list of the new functions or changes I must say I like it:

New control units and assistance systems
They claim that the KFG control will get a "massive overhaul". I try to be optimistic, all the issues we experienced on the GC based on the KFG will be solved and maybe new functions will be available. Sounds good to me.

New handbrake
Electronic handbrake. Some people won't like it, I prefer it.

Keyless Go
Well, if it is available as standard - super. As an option which costs extra money - I would leave it.

New bumpers
As long as they do their job. :)

New Camper Unit
This is the part were I would be jealous. Linked with a better KFG and a new camper unit not only the standard functionality will finally work reliably, but maybe new options will come. So I will watch that space closely

Information about the new dashboard comes from MAN. How long will it take until a Grand California will get the new dashboard design and functions? Would a miracle happen and the new software would be available on the old KFG, or will the hardware also change?

That is all interesting, even exciting for people looking to buy a new motorhome, interested in the Grand California. Existing owners won't race to their VW dealer to trade in the old one and get the new one.

But I think, all in all, good news.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

As mentioned before, a facelift has to happen sooner or later.

Going through the list of the new functions or changes I must say I like it:

New control units and assistance systems
They claim that the KFG control will get a "massive overhaul". I try to be optimistic, all the issues we experienced on the GC based on the KFG will be solved and maybe new functions will be available. Sounds good to me.

New handbrake
Electronic handbrake. Some people won't like it, I prefer it.

Keyless Go
Well, if it is available as standard - super. As an option which costs extra money - I would leave it.

New bumpers
As long as they do their job. :)

New Camper Unit
This is the part were I would be jealous. Linked with a better KFG and a new camper unit not only the standard functionality will finally work reliably, but maybe new options will come. So I will watch that space closely

Information about the new dashboard comes from MAN. How long will it take until a Grand California will get the new dashboard design and functions? Would a miracle happen and the new software would be available on the old KFG, or will the hardware also change?

That is all interesting, even exciting for people looking to buy a new motorhome, interested in the Grand California. Existing owners won't race to their VW dealer to trade in the old one and get the new one.

But I think, all in all, good news.

Regards,
Eberhard
Have an appointment this Arvo

Keyless Go
I would pay extra to not have it - big security risk & you still have to put your keys somewhere.

If only someone could come up with a convenient slot to store the keys in whilst driving.........

I notice the current van configurator has the LED headlights described as Matrix ones, are they actually different to the previous LEDs?
All other vehicle I've had with Matrix LEDs let you drive around on full beam with any other vehicles being shielded by just some of the LEDs turning off.

Back