Replacing AGM battery with a LiFePO4 - blog by someone who’s just swapped it

Mr T

Mr T

Chris
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Found this, which is interesting to see how someone has just swapped out the AGM for a LiFePO4

Found this, which is interesting to see how someone has just swapped out the AGM for a LiFePO4

Just found this video very interesting as I also looked at possibly changing when batteries failed.Guys YouTube name is zico Torre

Looks interesting as its a direct replacement without any faff, didn't think this was possible. I might consider this once the current agm battery starts deteriorating.

Bit off work involved but great effort from him doing all the hard work.Not sure reason vw california don't come with this type of set up from factory now.

Bit off work involved but great effort from him doing all the hard work.Not sure reason vw california don't come with this type of set up from factory now.
Cost

Has anybody successfully done a straight plug and play swap with a LiFePO4 for their Grand Cali? I have read through grandcali.com blog and they seemed to just take out the agm and drop in the lithium with the cold weather tech with no issues……I am looking to change my agm and very tempted if I have got the U.K. equivalent battery priced correctly at approx £600…..or I currently have an ecoflow delta max and could just get a short EHU cable and top the current leisure battery up from that!

Last edited:
Has anybody successfully done a straight plug and play swap with a LiFePO4 for their Grand Cali? I have read through grandcali.com blog and they seemed to just take out the agm and drop in the lithium with the cold weather tech with no issues……I am looking to change my agm and very tempted if I have got the U.K. equivalent battery priced correctly at approx £600…..or I currently have an ecoflow delta max and could just get a short EHU cable and top the current leisure battery up from that!
Hi Dave, I think a few have done it but it’s not without compromise. You can change the charging profile of the solar mppt so that’s not a big issue, but from what I understand if you just drop one in you’ll have issues charging it from the alternator, and most people report having to press the max charge button to get it charged due to its high charge rates I believe.
Also it will not display correctly on the control panel, as it’s configured for an agm. Again this can be changed with the right skills and equipment, but not easy.
I personally am still not convinced that they are a simple drop in replacement based on these things, ignoring the temperature concerns that occasionally get raised
I would suggest you think carefully about what your actual power requirements are - what you’ll be consuming. If you want off grid 230v then this battery solution will onviously not help.
Lots to consider.
I’ve added a 100ah LiFePO4 in the rear cupboard with a Victron dc-dc charger.
I can select either battery, original agm or LiFePO4. The solar tops up the AGM and when this is above 80% it then tops up the LiFePO4.
I didn’t feel the need for any off grid 230v so this solution works well for me and gives me piece of mind at either end of the season when there is less sun about to top up via solar. Also gives me a total useable 145ah’s.

Hi Dave, I think a few have done it but it’s not without compromise. You can change the charging profile of the solar mppt so that’s not a big issue, but from what I understand if you just drop one in you’ll have issues charging it from the alternator, and most people report having to press the max charge button to get it charged due to its high charge rates I believe.
Also it will not display correctly on the control panel, as it’s configured for an agm. Again this can be changed with the right skills and equipment, but not easy.
I personally am still not convinced that they are a simple drop in replacement based on these things, ignoring the temperature concerns that occasionally get raised
I would suggest you think carefully about what your actual power requirements are - what you’ll be consuming. If you want off grid 230v then this battery solution will onviously not help.
Lots to consider.
I’ve added a 100ah LiFePO4 in the rear cupboard with a Victron dc-dc charger.
I can select either battery, original agm or LiFePO4. The solar tops up the AGM and when this is above 80% it then tops up the LiFePO4.
I didn’t feel the need for any off grid 230v so this solution works well for me and gives me piece of mind at either end of the season when there is less sun about to top up via solar. Also gives me a total useable 145ah’s.
Hi Chris, appreciate the detailed reply and like the sound of your set up. Is this something you did yourself or did you take it somewhere to install the lithium set up? Thanks again, Dave

Back