Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 zone climatronic versus standard air on

B

Big Ron

Guest User
Hello, another beginner here....

Looking to buy nearly new/ demo/pre-reg and pretty clear in my mind that I want 180 DSG but may need to weigh up pros and cons of different spec options.

I think I've read that I can get satnav fitted as after market option if I can't get a deal on one with it already fitted (please let me know if not true or too hard etc...) but am a bit confused as to major differences on air con options.

Is there ever time in hot weather abroad where only 3zone will cope?

Will our dogs in rear be kept cool while driving in the heat with standard aircon?

Any benefits of one over the other while on site over night?

Any help would be useful. Thanks very much...Ron

I think you will find the cooling capacity will be the same, ie the equipment producing the cooling is the same, but the management of the available cooling is the difference.

The 3 zone climate system, is a set and forget climate management system with the ability to set a temperature and largely let the system control heating and cooling for you.

The manual air con is something you switch on and off as required.

Thanks very much for the quick answer, very helpful.

I think you are under a misunderstanding in that you think you can run the air conditioning at night. It only runs when the engine runs (when your driving), it's not stand alone. That's the big lump you see sitting on the top of motor-homes.

Regarding satnav I have an RNS510 (came with the vehicle, ex-demo) and I would say save your money and buy a decent TomTom. Much better, far more user friendly and you can put on almost limitless personal POI's on it. I use my old TomTom which I have loaded over 3000 French supermarkets and all the campsites I have visited, intend to visit or think I may visit. I also have all the NHS establishments that my wife has to visit as part of her NHS responsibilities. The RNS510 only allows you to load one and if you want to load a second you have to remove the first one.

Yes, I did foolishly think you could run it at night when I posted.....and have been put right since, but thanks for helping.

On the sat-nav, good advice.

I don't usually join forums, but was impressed with the positive/constructive nature of the replies before I joined - and thanks to 18hunts and jamesC for their help.

The 3 zone climatronic is not standard air con, it's self temperature controlling.

You set the zones individually, so for example the passenger can set theirs to 22 and the driver to 20 degrees. It can be set individually in the back too.

It constantly measure and adjusts the temps.

It also has a 'rest' button which warns the cab from engine heat when you stop.

It's far more than standard air con and worth the upgrade in my opinion.

As for sat nav the 510 can be fitted for around £550 later on so no need to buy from vw.

I would suggest getting the DAB upgrade from vw as the aerial is fitted around the driver mirror and a pain to install after.

What I would say about radios is you have to decide what you want it for. Might sound an obvious statement. I'm of an age where I have tinnitus and a loss of my high frequency requiring hearing aids for clarity of speech. A radio with high end audio sound is not something I would necessarily appreciate so whilst I would look for a reasonable quality I question whether I'm wasting my time! The other thing to remember you are driving a van with all your worldly camping possessions in it; the van will bang, rattle and thud unless you take inordinate care when packing and doing that every time you set off on a journey. Life's to short or in need of one.
Then the other thing you need to remember is that because the way the radio is powered, when on site if you want to listen to the radio/ music whatever, it will automatically switch off after 20 or 30 minutes. Presumably so that you don't end up with a flat battery bearing in mind that it's powered from the car battery. You do want the Cali to start in the morning. So you need some other, portable radio,laptop, mobile phone, mp3 player, blue tooth sound box etc, to do what ever you want.
I'm sad, I just want noise in the background so I take my wife.
In the end you pay your money and you make your choice.
The forum is good for information on a whole range of topics, you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff. You decide what category mine falls into and I wont take offence.

Climatronic will help to sell it should you ever do so. Most folk want it.
RNS can take quite a few personal poi's when you know how.

With the climatronic you also get a feature that blows any remaining heat from the engine into the cabin for 30mins after you park up. :thumb

sd5000 said:
Andy said:

There are far more important options in my mind. They don't struggle to sell with or without this feature.

Disagree :)

It's a must have for me and something that can never be retro-fitted (unlike Sat Nav, Bluetooth, MFSW etc.)

sd5000 said:
Andy said:
RNS can take quite a few personal poi's when you know how.

There are far more important options in my mind. They don't struggle to sell with or without this feature.
Talk to folk on hear & most will agree with me. But tis your opinion.

We have it and it's nice but it's not a must have option and it's too expensive.

Standard air-con this summer in 40 deg c my wife sitting in the back asked for the air-con be turned down, she was too cold.

18hunts said:
Standard air-con this summer in 40 deg c my wife sitting in the back asked for the air-con be turned down, she was too cold.

Is this an argument for, or against the three zone?

Gregc said:
18hunts said:

Is this an argument for, or against the three zone?

Good point with 3 zone she could have turned it down herself :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Does the standard air con (Not Climatronic) get piped through to any rear vents in the Van, or only to the front?

I'm a little confused about that. Thanks

Standard aicon is in the front only :thumb

Ok thanks.....The standard air con which only feeds the front seems less useful then if its boiling hot outside and you feel like lying down in the back with air con running for a while (Engine on)?

No, I said that the rear gets cold and it doesn't take long to do it. It's a case of how much money you've got and are you or do you need to spend it. It coped with the whole internal space at 38C + so how deep is your pocket and how many times are you going to lie down in the back to cool down. Air-cons great when travelling because your stuck in a tin box but when on site your trapped. The minute you go outside the temperature will feel worse but your not acclimatising.

Back