Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3pin socket 6.1 driver’s seat- tea & toast?

OceanView2023

OceanView2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have a new Ocean with the 3 point electricity socket at the bottom side of the driver’s seat. I understand this runs off the batteries rather than EHU. It would be great to be able to run a low voltage kettle and / or toaster from this socket when out on a day trip. I have a Russell Hobbs travel kettle dual voltage 120-240v (1000w) but it doesn’t work, just a flicker on the on / off switch. Has anyone had success in finding a suitable low voltage kettle / toaster for that socket? Or alternatively suggestions for a 12v kettle than doesn’t take half an hour to boil? The socket is working to charge phones. Thanks

I have a new Ocean with the 3 point electricity socket at the bottom side of the driver’s seat. I understand this runs off the batteries rather than EHU. It would be great to be able to run a low voltage kettle and / or toaster from this socket when out on a day trip. I have a Russell Hobbs travel kettle dual voltage 120-240v (1000w) but it doesn’t work, just a flicker on the on / off switch. Has anyone had success in finding a suitable low voltage kettle / toaster for that socket? Or alternatively suggestions for a 12v kettle than doesn’t take half an hour to boil? The socket is working to charge phones. Thanks
The inverter under the seat is limited to 300w I'm afraid

Collapsible kettle on the hob for tea and toast in the ridgemonkey. You bought the one with kitchen for a reason right :thumb

I agree with @Stu@rt but I reckon this kettle is perfect……. Boils enough water for two and fits in the sink bowl with two cups when not in use…… after a year or so of using it we love it even more….. simple, fast and Quality :thumb

Thanks all for your quick replies. Just thought it would be handy to use the socket rather than the hob, I hadn’t realised it was 300w limited

Has anyone had success in finding a suitable low voltage kettle / toaster for that socket? Or alternatively suggestions for a 12v kettle than doesn’t take half an hour to boil?
Have you looked under the lift up glass lid on the passenger side of the van? you might find something there that you could use.

So something like this is what I also had in mind, if anyone has recommendations ( gas hob aside)

16FC4EAE-CB63-4037-B214-796D1AFFC3F3.png

So something like this is what I also had in mind, if anyone has recommendations ( gas hob aside)

View attachment 114138
Yup, you’ll certainly work up a thirst waiting for that to boil :D and have fun watching the volts on the overhead display panel wind down like they're going out of fashion!

Why not just use the gas hob?
No issue with hob as such, but this was for situation such as waiting in a car park for teens at sports clubs / matches / late night pick ups etc where I wouldn’t want to pop top & use the gas

No issue with hob as such, but this was for situation such as waiting in a car park for teens at sports clubs / matches / late night pick ups etc where I wouldn’t want to pop top & use the gas
Just make sure you crack open the kitchen window a crack, and lift both glass lids.
Then boil a quick kettle !
Bit of toast in the Ridge Monkey.
Happy days. Pop a bit of cheese inbetween the toast.
And some MARMITE !

No to marmite, yes to everything else !
I’ve put my old EcoFlow Rive Pro which has a 600W inverter and 720Eh battery in the boot and run a “cube” extension lead through to the front in the little gap between the step and the passenger seat. I’ve used masking tape to keep the cable out of the way of the sliding seat, plugged the 12v solar charger in the rear 12v socket to recharge the EcoFlow from solar or when driving and can now use that for the kids to recharge their switches and iPads etc and also my collapsible 240v kettle. Generic white one from Amazon. I’d rather do this than use gas which is a finite resource and takes my time away to go and swap canisters over

I know very little about electricity, excuse my ignorance but if the sockets are limited to 300w without EHU, what are you able to run from them, ie would a TV or Cooling fan work?

I know very little about electricity, excuse my ignorance but if the sockets are limited to 300w without EHU, what are you able to run from them, ie would a TV or Cooling fan work?
The Inverter is limited to 300 full stop. On EHU makes no difference because they are powered by the leisure batteries. Phone chargers, laptops, anything 300W or under really - mostly items without heating elements. Or air fryers. Using them extensively for high volt low watt items though will drain your batteries quickly.

The main socket end of the kitchen unit works on EHU only and will power all the things you say above including kettles, hairdryers and, unfortunately, air fryers. Up to 2000W.

Last edited:
IMG_6013.png
As a rough guide, LED lights use barely anything, probably about 1W. A phone charges at between 5-30W. A laptop consumes somewhere between 60-150W. A 12v camping TV somewhere around 30-50W. A larger home TV somewhere around 100-130W. A desktop computer somewhere around 250-600W. A camping kettle/hairdryer around 600W. And normal kettle/toaster/grill is somewhere around the 2000W mark. The limit on a 13a plug at 240v is 3120W. These are from memory and approximate figures

IMG_6014.png

I’d rather do this than use gas which is a finite resource and takes my time away to go and swap canisters over
How much time do you think you've saved by not swapping gas canisters? I've only ever had to do one in 10 years whilst away from home.
For me it would have to be a massive saving to warrant loosing half the boot space.

I’ve put my old EcoFlow Rive Pro which has a 600W inverter and 720Eh battery in the boot and run a “cube” extension lead through to the front in the little gap between the step and the passenger seat. I’ve used masking tape to keep the cable out of the way of the sliding seat, plugged the 12v solar charger in the rear 12v socket to recharge the EcoFlow from solar or when driving and can now use that for the kids to recharge their switches and iPads etc and also my collapsible 240v kettle. Generic white one from Amazon. I’d rather do this than use gas which is a finite resource and takes my time away to go and swap canisters over
That’s really interesting to know. The eco flow river 2 max 512w appears to boost up to 1000w which would cover most low wattage appliances

How much time do you think you've saved by not swapping gas canisters? I've only ever had to do one in 10 years whilst away from home.
For me it would have to be a massive saving to warrant loosing half the boot space.
It hardly uses any boot space and is going with me anyway to power and charge all my devices so it’s a no brainer to use the kettle as well rather than use gas. If I wasn’t using so many electronics then yes I totally see your point. Different people have different use cases

IMG_6059.jpeg

I love using a kettle offgrid just makes the whole task easy and mess free most of the time. i have a quick vid on this subject. Usually a boil will sink 15% of my ecoflow d2 battery but then the cali & solar can top it back up in about an 30mins to and hour.

Back