Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion oil change

Frans_T5

Frans_T5

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi all,
I'm new here and there for a short introduction,
Name Frans I'm Dutch and live in the east part of the Netherlands.
We previous owned a T4 Westfalia California (did 325000Km flawlessly 77hp) and since 3 years we enjoy our 2006 model T5 4 motion Cali bus. When we bought it, it had done 120.000 Km ( appox 75.000mil)
Our engineTDI 2.5l AXD, 131hp, 6 manual gear,
So far we have drove 35.000Km (22.000mil)
Unfortunately not free of annoying failures.
- 95000, First owner, cooling waterpump failure, replacement full charge by VW.
- Due to corrosion (common problem with Cali models 2004...2009) the roof spoiler had to be repaint
- 145000km Cracked oil cooler. (1400 Euro)
- Gearbox main bearing failure (3000 Euro), clutch and fly wheel also damaged and replaced.

And yes despite the problems we still enjoy de Cali bus, we are shocked by the poor VW build quality in relation to the buying price, this model 78000 Euro in 2006.
So far we have visit, Germany, France, Italy, North Spain, South England (Dart-more, Cornwall, Wales), Ireland republic, Austria (Tirol and Italy Süd Tirol).
2019 June, Austria (Tirol and Italy Süd Tirol) new Plan for 2019, September, lake district and Scotland.

Okay, back to oil change, I'm extreme cautious with the AXD engine, she is well treated oil change at least once a year or 15000Km. Using the long life liquid gold oil 0W30, VW 506 01
Drive speeds never exceed above 130km/h, long term fuel consumption has settled to 8,2l / 100Km this is included short trips as we use the T5 as private car as well.

So in may 2019 I decided to make and oil change for the HALDEX and the two differentials, piece of cake I thought...:-(
VW says the is no need for a HALDEX oil change... I can ensure you that it might be wise to change the oil replace the filter en d clean the hydraulic pump filter!
But it is far from being a piece of cake..
The fiiler plug can be found on the HALDEX behind the pulley of the main drive shaft, you can loosen it but ther is noway to take it out of the HALDEX unles you remove the pulley from the HALDEX in going shaft.
The drain plug is not an issue, easy reach.
The removal of the HALDEX filter cap... this can be an issue depending the filter cap type. We had minor issue and where able to loosen en remove the filter.
The hydraulic pump, should not be an issue, however you have to cautious while removing the pump!
The biggest challenge was refilling the HALDEX, due that we where not able to remove the filler plug we had to fiil the HALDEX from the drain plug. We used a tube which we run in a arch, highest point above the filler plug, we used a small pump to fill the HALDEX until we had drips from the filler plug. We tighten the filler plug and in one swap we pull the tube and placed the drain plug, we lost less than a thimble of oil.
The filter was extreme dirty, the oil which came out was pretty dirty and contained clutch material.
On the market you can buy package oil and oil filter, make sure you order the correct filter, there are as far I know two types round cap (we had) and square cap!
Drain and fill the differentials is straight forward except filling the front diff, you need a pump or syringe in order to fill it!

I hope this is useful, I have to apologize for my grammar..

Yours...
Frams

Loz,
I agree, but we have called several VW dealers and non told us that the HALDEX need oil change which surprised me completely.
I have all VW maintenance entries in our service book, I have called VW and ask them if the entries where correct they confirmd all service on our Cali was 100% according the sequence. The service books where accurate until we bought the Cali with 119.000Km .. and the oil + filter was never changed.. :mad::shocked:Nailbiting
So that's why I have did it by my self... Regarding the difficulties changing the oil VW is probably not keen in changing. the oil.:eek::mute

rgrs,
Frans

I have the Haldex and DSG serviced every 40,000 miles or 2 yrs intervals. Now on 87,000 miles and almost 5 yrs old.

Hi the heldex oil has always been a service item at 60k the drain plug on the early heldex systems is also the fill plug it has to be put in with a syringe so not a difficult job at all

Hey guy's thanks for the replies.
Shame on VW Netherlands.. I'm so glad that I have changed the HALDEX oil and will continuing doing it every 60K km.
It is funny we have a VW T5 forum in the Netherlands and I have asked about changing the HALDEX oil and received no reaction on that matter.
Anyhow I thought that I could share it here but obviously this forum have some experts..:thumb

Thanks a lot..

regards,

Frans.

Back