Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY T6 oil and filter change?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My three year old Beach 150ps manual has just demanded an oil change in ten days time. It has currently got around 29000 miles on the clock and is on the Long Life regime. It had it's previous oil change at around 15000 miles in March 2018. The reason for my thread is to ask:

1. Has anyone else carried out a DIY T6 oil and filter change as well as a pollen filter change?
2. Where is the oil filter located on a T6 150ps manual? I've had a poke around under the bonnet and I can't see anything resembling an oil filter or filter housing.
3. How do you reset the service indicator?
4. Where is the pollen filter located?

Yes, I could and would have just booked it into my dealer to have it done but having just been quoted over £250 for a simple oil and filter change (reduced to £235 after I exclaimed "HOW MUCH!"), I am now questioning why I would want to do that. To have this done would also cost me a day in time as the dealer is a long way from where I live. I can source the long life oil and genuine parts locally at a good discount and do the job in around an hour saving me at least £100 and the best part of a day. I suspect the oil filter is located down the back of the engine and probably accessed after removing the under tray. Can anyone confirm? As for resetting the oil service indicator on the MFD, that's usually done by a sequence of pressing this and that. As an example, on my wifes Skoda Superb you have to have the hazard warning lights on to reset the service indicator! All done to prevent people doing their own servicing no doubt! However as the T6's engine management system constantly monitors the condition of the oil and triggers the oil service due message when the quality deteriorates to a preset level, will the fresh oil automatically delete this message and negate my having to reset anything?

Finally, I have one of those brilliant sucking devices that removes all the oil from the sump via the dipstick tube in minutes without getting under the car. What are your thoughts on using these gadgets? They are useful for a quick oil change but in this case, if I've got to remove the under tray to change the filter then there would be no point in using it as I might as well drop the oil out then.

Any advice would be welcome.

P.s The vehicle is now out of the 3 year manufacturers warrantee period although it does have an extended two years warrantee obtained at time of purchase.

Last edited:
I’d be very loathed to start DIY oil changes all the time you are still under warranty even out of warranty I’d be inclined to wait a year, just in case there was a problem where there could be a “goodwill” payment. Any engine problem and the first cop out from VW would be that it was serviced by a garage.

I'd try another dealer. My experience at SMG Tonbridge has been very disappointing.

The price you've been quoted is ridiculous.

Surely a local VW mechanic could do this for you?
I've been doing my own oil and filter changes for decades so not really an issue. It's not difficult. I'm just trying to cut a few corners and ask if anyone has done this before on a T6. Every vehicle seems to have a different secret squirrel way of resetting the service indicator done ensure owners use their servicing centres. It's because it's so easy that I am finding it dificult to justify the cost and time involved in getting it done buy a VW commercial garage. It would take about an hour at most whereas a trip to the dealer would involve a whole day and a much bigger hole in my wallet.

I've just had a ring around VW Commercial service centres and have been quoted:
SMG Tonbridge £235
CVS Canterbury £232.71
JCB Sittingbourne £ 269 with fuel filter £389

So fixed priced dealer service is out of the window I thought the interim service is about £150 +vat which includes oil change?

Oil filters down the back of the engine and looks a little like the picture below, its a cartridge type and WILL dribble over the engine when pulled out. (worked on a T6 before but don't collect my Cali' till Saturday). Resetting the service light is easy enough, ignition off push and hold the reset miles button, keep it down and turn ignition on, dash will flash service reset.

My advice if it's still under warranty, buy the cartridge, oil and sump plug from VW, if not, use a reputable motor factor like a Groupauto/Alliance Automotive dealer, do not use ebay! Keep receipt for said parts in your service manual. If it for some reason goes belly up then you have recourse.

Failing that go to Kwik fit or similar, damn site cheaper and less agro, but you won't know what oil and parts they'll use, this will be fine for warranty claims, however if you intend on keeping the vehicle for a great length of time then this route could shorten the life of the engine.

What my old man does is go to VW and get the parts, then pay the local garage to do the job.

Above is just advice, I accept no responsibility and do your own research.

Oil filters down the back of the engine and looks a little like the picture below, its a cartridge type and WILL dribble over the engine when pulled out. (worked on a T6 before but don't collect my Cali' till Saturday). Resetting the service light is easy enough, ignition off push and hold the reset miles button, keep it down and turn ignition on, dash will flash service reset.

My advice if it's still under warranty, buy the cartridge, oil and sump plug from VW, if not, use a reputable motor factor like a Groupauto/Alliance Automotive dealer, do not use ebay! Keep receipt for said parts in your service manual. If it for some reason goes belly up then you have recourse.

Failing that go to Kwik fit or similar, damn site cheaper and less agro, but you won't know what oil and parts they'll use, this will be fine for warranty claims, however if you intend on keeping the vehicle for a great length of time then this route could shorten the life of the engine.

What my old man does is go to VW and get the parts, then pay the local garage to do the job.

Above is just advice, I accept no responsibility and do your own research.
That's perfect Calibus. Thanks very much for your informative and helpful post.

I would always use genuine VW Parts and always keep the receipts as proof of service.

I knew someone would know. What a great forum this is.

Glad we live int' north then Paul. Yearly dealer service on our t5 was £180. Is the T6 more difficult to work on? For info I got three 5L cans of Castrol Edge oil to the correct spec for £75 off eBay last year so worth a look on there.

I've been doing my own oil and filter changes for decades so not really an issue. It's not difficult. I'm just trying to cut a few corners and ask if anyone has done this before on a T6. Every vehicle seems to have a different secret squirrel way of resetting the service indicator done ensure owners use their servicing centres. It's because it's so easy that I am finding it dificult to justify the cost and time involved in getting it done buy a VW commercial garage. It would take about an hour at most whereas a trip to the dealer would involve a whole day and a much bigger hole in my wallet.

I've just had a ring around VW Commercial service centres and have been quoted:
SMG Tonbridge £235
CVS Canterbury £232.71
JCB Sittingbourne £ 269 with fuel filter £389

I've just had my intermediate service done at Heritage in Bristol for £174. It was at 10500 miles, but only about 8-9000 since the oil was last changed after the oil in the cooling system issue. They can't understand why the oil change came up so early on the MFD at all. The Cali only does long runs, no local short trips. I've asked for it to be set to annual oil change, so we'll see what happens in 12 months.
Heritage gave a free California ready for spring check as well.

Glad we live int' north then Paul. Yearly dealer service on our t5 was £180. Is the T6 more difficult to work on? For info I got three 5L cans of Castrol Edge oil to the correct spec for £75 off eBay last year so worth a look on there.
Hi Brian,
Now there's an idea, a short break up t' north and get it done up there and to think I was in Rotherham only yesterday picking up a couple of leather armchairs also purchased from Ebay.

To show just how expensive these VW T6 oil quotes are, today I booked Paddy's Skoda Superb diesel in for a cam belt change. Their quote was £553 including VAT and that was for cam belt, water pump, tensioners and a shed load of work. That quote also included a brake fluid change!

If I get the dealer to do it + £235 it will probably cost me more like £300 plus after the fuel, lunch in a pub and Paddy hitting the shops whilst the vans being done!

Last edited:
I've just had my intermediate service done at Heritage in Bristol for £174. It was at 10500 miles, but only about 8-9000 since the oil was last changed after the oil in the cooling system issue. They can't understand why the oil change came up so early on the MFD at all. The Cali only does long runs, no local short trips. I've asked for it to be set to annual oil change, so we'll see what happens in 12 months.
Heritage gave a free California ready for spring check as well.
That's a more reasonable price. :thumb:thumb:thumb

I've just found this on the VW web site "Your Volkswagen Van Centre is dedicated to giving you value for money. So we'll match any quote from a VAT-registered garage within 15 miles of a Van Centre that's doing the same work with Volkswagen Genuine Parts". https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories.html

This is from another VW web page:-https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing notice the "prices from £179" that I've underlined and put in green.
Minor Service
Our minor service will help prevent any little problems turning into big ones. The recommended service interval is every 12 months or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Prices from: £179 for models up to and including 2.0 litre engines and £199 for Touareg.

Why not combine Minor Service with MoT? Models up to and including 2.0l engines £219 and £234 for Touareg.

It includes: Oil & filter change. Replace pollen filter (where required). Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks,battery, coolant levels, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts and exhaust system. Full vehicle road test. Diagnostic check including report. Re-set service interval display.

Excludes: Over 2.0 litre engines, e-up!, e-Golf, Golf GTE, Passat GTE and Phaeton.

Seems to be a bit Hit & Miss around the country judging by the experiences forum members have had.

Thanks Simon. That's very helpful. I shall make some more enquiries.

Best wishes.
Paul

Brilliant advice - my Cali is 3 years old in June and I intend to do oil changes myself too. Many thanks again to all

I’m not 100% sure but looking at the pictures that looks like the filter for the DSG gearbox. On the 150ps tdi with a DSG gearbox the same as mine, the engine oil filter is underneath. You have to remove the plastic under tray 6 bolts and one retaining clip at the back, you just squeeze the sides of it and the under tray comes out, then from underneath look up and it’s at the front of the van just behind the air on pump in front of the oil sump. It has a removable centre so you can drain it first if you wish, and then unscrew the casing which hols it in. It’s an element type not a canister. On mine the drain plug is steel. I’ve done mine a couple of times. Hope this helps.

Worth noting since this is a money saving thread, buy your oil (VW Spec obvs) in a large 25 litre drum from GSF. Works out much cheaper and you should have enough for at least three changes.

If you have the extended warranty coverage. Normally when I take mine in the dealer does a general inspection as well to see if there is anything else wrong or needing attention.
Perhaps they would find something that needs doing while still under warranty.
I am all for saving especially with dealer charges. However if there is something it could save you quite a lot.
Once out of warranty switch to doing Oil and filter yourself. I will certainly keep an eye on this thread as I would like to do mine now I am out of warranty.

. Normally when I take mine in the dealer does a general inspection as well to see if there is anything else wrong or needing attention.
Perhaps they would find something that needs doing while still under warranty.
Last time those clowns have charged the battery and filled the diesel at extra cost.
They are always about making money and most of VW services give 0 fucks about your vehicle.

Last time those clowns have charged the battery and filled the diesel at extra cost.
They are always about making money and most of VW services give 0 fucks about your vehicle.
You are probably right for a lot dealers.
When mine has been in for inspection during the warranty years they have replaced some things that I did not even know needed to be done.
I can't remember what they call it. Rather like a recall.
One of the items that was done for free was the top rear brake light which was regularly falling out on some vehicles until they upgraded it. There was also something else that I can't remember now.
So the point is you don't want to miss out on any of these things or you may be out of pocket.

I'd try another dealer. My experience at SMG Tonbridge has been very disappointing.

The price you've been quoted is ridiculous.
My experience at SMG Tonbridge's Service Department has previously been similarly disappointing.

Just note the workshop service manual about filter first if its standing

For engines with standing oil filter, the oil filter must be renewed before changing the engine oil. When the filter element is removed, a valve is opened. The oil in filter housing automatically flows into crankcase.