Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion

GilesSelby

GilesSelby

Giles, Pippa, Zack & Brodie - T6.1 Ocean
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi everyone. We are about to finalise our order for a 180dsg but really unsure whether to go for the 4motion version. We plan on touring and staying on mainly dedicated sites but also plan on using it at festivals and a farm in the lakes where it could be muddy or slippy with wet grass. I would be grateful for any feedback as to whether the 2 wheel drive version copes well in these conditions and also how it handles in snow.
Many thanks
Giles

This could start a discussion like dsg vs manual.

IMHO

2WD is fine for the situation you describe.

In bad snow all cars will benefit from snow tyres.

I think you can get mud and snow tyres for all year round us in case you go to muddy sites.

We have 2WD with summer tyres and havent got stuck yet. This includes monsoon conditions at car fest north.

However on the day when I do get stuck I will wish I had 4WD.

Dont think I have helped much.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

We pondered over this and we went for the standard 2W, we camp mainly on grass sites and have never had a problem even with the strandard tyres, there is little point point in going for the 4Motion just for the one off chance of having some slippery grass, most sites will have a tractor on hand to pull you out if you get really stuck.

Also the 4motion is quite a bit heavier and drinks more diesel.

As Teaboy has said, tyres make a big difference here.

We do have a 4motion, but do switch tyre sets for the winter - crazily VW delivered ours with pretty extreme summer tyres fitted (on factory 18s). Its easy to pick up a set of new M&S rated steel wheels from guys who've upgraded their vans to alloys at delivery..... at just the cost of the tyres (remembering the 180 needs the 17s). No real net cost, as both sets of tyres will last twice as long....

Of course, you'll have your summer tyres on in that wet muddy field at a festival...

Do we regret buying 4motion? No. Occasionally it would have been nice to have the option of the 5th seat (but putting it in and out and storing it would have been a faff - wouldn't want to camp with it); better fuel economy would been appreciated and there is no doubt the 4motion costs there. But no fear of getting stuck in a muddy field (we've also used the diff lock once - this is a another whole debate as this was standard in 2012 - now a £500 option on top of 4motion in itself)

All that said, if you know you're going to put your van in a situation where 4motion is going to be a benefit i'd say go for it. You'll see your money back on resale as they are much much rarer...

Simon

We thought long and hard about 4wd and decided against it on the basis that if we were likely to need 4wd, I probably wouldn't want to camp there. We haven't regretted the decision (and do camp all year round etc)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have Suzuki Grand Vitara and 2WD Cali.
My next Cali will be 4WD Beach (if I could still afford it), then I would sell Suzuki, and buy 2WD car in place.

I think this is all depending of lifestyle, but Cali lifestyle is kind of open space and breaking obstacles, reaching remote areas.
Good point is that price difference between 2wd and 4wd of Cali is relatively narrow, and fuel consumption of the 2 versions does not differentiate much.
My opinion.
Andrzej

Thanks to everyone for their comments so far. We've found these really helpful.

Hi,

I have a 4motion and I use it more than I frankly thought I would including the diff lock. However the suspension most times bottoms out if you use it in anger. Air suspension that then lifts if up for off road is the solution with the added bonus of self levelling. Rosmia fit such a thing having mine fitted on the 18th Nov I will let you know how I get on.

I am glad I spent the extra and got 4motion takes me to parts most vehicles would not go even on campsites.

Cheers, Curtis

I have 4 motion ans I'm not sure whether I could have got by with 2WD or not.

However I do know that my nerves are in a lot better state for it having been in some fairly hairy conditions last winter, sometimes more by accident than design (VW sat nav loves off roading :lol: )

People often think 4wd is just for muddy car parks, snow, etc; yes it makes a big difference but it's also very useful on the road; no wheelspin out of junctions, more secure in the wet and so on.

I rate it as our most important option.

KernowLad said:
People often think 4wd is just for muddy car parks, snow, etc; yes it makes a big difference but it's also very useful on the road; no wheelspin out of junctions, more secure in the wet and so on.

It does make handbrake turns more difficult though :eek:

GrannyJen said:
KernowLad said:

Now that would be a sight to see!!

GrannyJen said:
KernowLad said:

Still possible though :cool: Watch all the way through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0-ze4WjBGY

Thanks to everyone who commented. Just to let you know, we've made the decision to go for the 4motion for the added assistance should fetival sites get a bit boggy. Not sure we'll do any serious off-roading but you never know. We plan on travelling to the Alps too so I'm sure the 4WD will be a reassurance.

Looking forward to delivery in March. Went for natural grey with black/silver cascavel alloys and some other options inc the travel pack. Looking forward to many adventures.

Regards

Giles

Don't forget the winter tyres for the Alps during winter months, 4 motion will help a bit but stopping and steering is not helped by 4 motion.

GilesSelby said:
Thanks to everyone who commented. Just to let you know, we've made the decision to go for the 4motion for the added assistance should fetival sites get a bit boggy. Not sure we'll do any serious off-roading but you never know. We plan on travelling to the Alps too so I'm sure the 4WD will be a reassurance.

Looking forward to delivery in March. Went for natural grey with black/silver cascavel alloys and some other options inc the travel pack. Looking forward to many adventures.

Regards

Giles

Hope that you did not skip the naturally must have option of differential lock.
Andrzej

GilesSelby said:

Regards

Giles

Nice one! They drive better on the road too; especially when it's really wet.

Exciting!!

Didn't go for the diff lock in the end as we're not going to be venturing far off road.

Really looking forward to March. Exciting times indeed. Will post photos in due course.

Regards

Giles

GilesSelby said:
Didn't go for the diff lock in the end as we're not going to be venturing far off road.

Really looking forward to March. Exciting times indeed. Will post photos in due course.

Regards

Giles

I would take it, you never know, and 4 motion without it is sort of invalid. Also re-selling price and easiness will suffer. Think about it, I believe you can still add it if delivery is for March.

GilesSelby said:
Giles
This issue comes up every so often on this forum ("do we need the diff lock on a 4Motion?"). You will be fine without, trust us. Have a look at the video in this older topic about us doing an off road driving course with our 4Motion Cali. Everything you see without diff lock.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6jpb2KDIJA[/youtube]

We do a lot of this during our trips, and we have never needed the diff lock. The combination of ESP and ABS brakes a loose spinning wheel, so you have a sort of 'electronic' diff lock in the 4Motion system. Another short explanation in this topic, with a link to some more documentation about the 4Motion system.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the previous posts but if you tow anything of any weight ( caravan,boat,large trailer etc ), 4WD is a big comfort particularly getting on to steep ferry ramps or crossing high ground in winter through France or getting up to and around continental ski resorts.
I suppose its a case of horses for courses.

Interesting that ALL of the Land/Range Rover models do not have a Diff Lock apart from the Defender.
Because of their ground clearance they can go places it would be difficult for the California to go but they manage, so a Diff Lock is no longer a requirement and the modern electronic system can do more and more as it develops. Love the Video and as you can see ground clearance was more of an issue than traction.
Increasing ground clearance by raising the suspension might, might make the 4Motion traction system the issue then which might then benefit from a Diff Lock.
In normal configuration the California 4Motion is more than capable without the added expense and complication of a Diff Lock. :hello

Goodness, all this technical talk, 4 motion with diff lock....

This morning I had M25 Slow motion with grid lock

:eek:

Hmmm - when I got stuck on a muddy slope, engaging diff lock got me out...

Same in my 110 Defender on an icy slope.

And the same in our Jimny.

And the same in many other 4x4s with it.

Certainly not essential but still handy if you ever push your Cali fairly hard.

KernowLad said:
Hmmm - when I got stuck on a muddy slope, engaging diff lock got me out...

Same in my 110 Defender on an icy slope.

And the same in our Jimny.

And the same in many other 4x4s with it.

Certainly not essential but still handy if you ever push your Cali fairly hard.

Absolutely right.

Why all Land Rover other than Defender do not have diff rock?. Because they are not design for difficult conditions, only mild conditions.
I did have to engage diff lock in my Suzuki Grand Vitara (and gear reduction, they go both in parallel in this car) to get through deep mud and heavy snow.
What is on the film is not really particularly difficult conditions.
Of course you will normally not go with Cali for a difficult terrain on purpose, but you may always be taken by surprise, even on soft muddy camping pitch in spring.
Cali has a particularly heavy front and tend to get stuck in a mud very easily.

Cheers
Andrzej