Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5 berth alternative to a California

D

dboland

Hi,

We recently had our third Child and so we can't fit all our Family in our California any longer. Can anyone suggest what van based conversion can accommodate three Children and two Adults?

I really like the compactness of our California and the way it drives so ideally I would like a VW or Mercedes van based conversion if anyone has any experience or suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Diarmaid

you can get a bed to fit across the 2 front seats which may do for a few years for a small person :thumb

Sticking with your current VW you could get a 5th seat and as Andy has said, a bunk for the front seats. Alternatively, swap to a beach with the 3 person seat in the back and again the bunk across the front seats, but you lose the camping interior

In non-VW news, the Hyundai i800 campervan (Wellhouse Leisure) is a similar size and seats 5 as standard with a full camper interior, as does the Westfalia Ford Nugget camper.

You could try one of the LWB conversions to maintain the true campervan feel or use the awning to release space in the SE and put the little one in the bunk. Or one adult in the drive away awning.

What about one of these? They sleep 8

VWt2cLimousine-westfalia.jpg

Thanks very much.

Sorry for the delay in replying!

Diarmaid

The downstairs bed in the beach is very big, and would sleep two average size adults & a small child, or 3 children.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I had looked into getting the 5th seat but apparently is cannot be retro fitted.

Diarmaid.

5th seat needs the three rails in the floor of the vehicle. With two rails it will not work/fit in the back.

cheers

A third rail can be retro-fitted. I had one installed a few years ago by CoTrim in Salisbury. All VW parts used. Not cheap though - £650 as I recall.

We use a bed I made to go across the front seats when turned towards the rear of the vehicle, works fine. Try Colin at Oxford T5 for rails a seat and great help and advice

Great thanks very much I'll look them up.

Much appreciated!

Diarmaid.

The 5th seat is soooooo heavy to lift in and out if the van. We actually regret getting it. It spends most of its time in our sitting room :(

So not suitable to use for camping?

I had thought we could just take it out when we set up for the night!

Tku for mentioning that..

Diarmaid.

We are new to Calis and this year (Jan) purchased our first. We are a family of 5. Two adults and three children (13, 11 and soon to be 7). Our cali had the third rail and we purchased a 5th seat from CamperVanTastic. They were really helpful.

We use a bunk bed from vwcabbunks.com. It works a treat for our soon to be 7 year old. It cost about £70.

The fifth set is a bit heavy getting it in and out - but we use our pop up awning to store the seat when we arrive on site.

It works for us - and I am the biggest cynic there is. Once tried motorhome camping in NZ for 3 weeks (pre children) and vowed I would never do it again. There is no stopping us now. Use it for everything from a trip to Devon, Forest of Dean, Drayton Manor and off to the Tour De France this weekend. We are going to the Black Forest in Germany in July for 10 days. Everyone loves it.

Regards

Mark

Back