Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

50 Nord CaliBoard with storage net

MisterLister

MisterLister

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Following on from chat earlier in the thread, for those who were wondering about the CaliBoard & CaliHeat we got from 50Nord, we've just put a new video live detailing the installation and first impressions. I know a number were interested in it, so thought i'd share.

@CamperFam Thanks for the video (with good mix of info and entertainment). I'm seriously looking at the CaliBoard to give a bit of extra length in the upper bed (I'm 191cm). Since adding a sea2summit mattress the extra depth reduces space for feet at the rear end (it was tight anyway). I think the CaliBoard should be perfect solution for all the reasons you mention, although a potential con for me would be getting out without disturbing fellow sleeper if mattress is partially covering the board. Probably solution is to not drink too many beers just before bed!

Our 6.1 has the storage net option. Does anyone have experience of this in combination with the CaliBoard? There seems to be an extra option (luggage net adapter) by 50 Nord to provide supports above the rails but info/pictures are limited. I'm wondering if this raises the board any higher than normal?

<SPOILER> It's now one of my favourite bits of gear we've got for camping and made the nights far nicer (both in space and warmth) without losing out on light penetration and no need to go outside the van to wrap anything around.

We've got a CaliWrap (mostly due to leaking bellows!) and having had the van for 6 months we've only camped in warmer weather so far. When we used it on a wet spring camp, we were too warm. I really don't like the idea of the CaliHeat hose, but then maybe my view will change in Autumn. In response to @Viktorgeorge (asking why two sides are offered) I'm thinking the hole on the left hand side could be useful to route a cable for a small electrical heater down to the plug socket (assuming you're on hookup). Not sure if there would be space to route a small cable under/around the side of the board without the need for the aperture? Is there any free space or is the board flush all around?

Any extra info about real world experience with the CaliBoard greatly received.

I could imagine a mattress over the top would indeed be a faff - bu tthe vehicle is all about selective compromise.

RE Storage net - is that not the one that attaches to the hook that would usually have the child safety net? If so, that's in the upstairs bed. Shouldnt interfere except removingsome height (and potentially scuffing up the roof lining with anything you put in it).

RE Leaking bellows - yeah, i've been keeping tabs on that. A really awful situation and one that VW should never have allowed to happen imo.

RE the holes in the CaliBoard - either side has small cutouts for the lightswitches and 12v socket. In addition, there's a single circle cut out which the CaliHeat bayonette fixing attaches into. Realistically you only want it on the right side as thats where the airvent is, but I believe 50Nord offer both. But if you wanted an electrical heater instead, i'd suggest finding a 12v heater; it's a small space, and you should be fine using the socket in the roof bed. If not, then yes, you could run one from downstairs up to the top. The CaliBoard sits ontop of two little rubber feet at the top and a metal plinth (drilled into the metal bedframe) covered in felt. The ideal point of entry for a cable would be the 12v socket area, as it doesnt sit perfectly flush (nor need to I might add).

The storage net I refer to is the one which comes with the second small draw option, not the "pillow/child catcher" that comes as standard. It is permanently installed on a couple of rails on the metal area (with the light switches) either side of the opening above the front seats.

When I get home I'll measure how proud these rails stand, but if 50 Nord are offering an extra accessory for the CaliBoard then I presume the original rail height will conflict with the board. You could argue the storage net has low value when the board is deployed, but it'll still have utility during the day so I'd prefer not to remove entirely.

I was thinking a circle cut out on the left might be convenient to pass a plug through but this option is an extra expense (32EUR) for something I'm unlikely to use often. If there is enough space laterally to pass the wire around the outside (plug wouldn't fit through the smaller holes) and then under the board that could still work, but might stress the cable with kinks.

If you were able to measure the gap under the board to the metal by the light switch (helpful to answer the netting rail question also) and to the side of the board to the bellows (looks like zero from pictures) that would be helpful.

The alternate you suggest of a 12V heater is a good one, although the ones I've found all look pretty feeble and low quality compared to a 240V 500W desk heater that I was thinking of using.

The storage net I refer to is the one which comes with the second small draw option, not the "pillow/child catcher" that comes as standard. It is permanently installed on a couple of rails on the metal area (with the light switches) either side of the opening above the front seats.

When I get home I'll measure how proud these rails stand, but if 50 Nord are offering an extra accessory for the CaliBoard then I presume the original rail height will conflict with the board. You could argue the storage net has low value when the board is deployed, but it'll still have utility during the day so I'd prefer not to remove entirely.

I was thinking a circle cut out on the left might be convenient to pass a plug through but this option is an extra expense (32EUR) for something I'm unlikely to use often. If there is enough space laterally to pass the wire around the outside (plug wouldn't fit through the smaller holes) and then under the board that could still work, but might stress the cable with kinks.

If you were able to measure the gap under the board to the metal by the light switch (helpful to answer the netting rail question also) and to the side of the board to the bellows (looks like zero from pictures) that would be helpful.

The alternate you suggest of a 12V heater is a good one, although the ones I've found all look pretty feeble and low quality compared to a 240V 500W desk heater that I was thinking of using.
Unfortunately we sold our California and accessories as we've moved to a Grand California 600 now.

@MisterLister

I have the same storage net and would be interested to know if the Cali boards will work without removal of the metal brackets of the storage net? Please let me know the outcome, thanks

I measured the rail when out in the van this weekend. It stands a good 15mm above the metal base. For reference, the 12V socket is about 10mm.

Looking at the level of the mattress, I pretty much expect the CaliBoard to foul the rail. I'll see what 50 Nord say, but will likely go for it with the extra accessory and then report back here.

I have the caliboard and the storage net on my van , the additional fitting kit from 50 Nord consists of 4 “lugs” that you fit the bar which supports the storage net into replacing the existing ones on the van. In effect these create a shoulder around the bar which the board rests on instead of on the bar itself
What I have found is having the caliboard out renders the storage net redundant as you can’t access it during the night - but still useful in the day time when the bed is up
Hope that helps

I did a short video of the 50 nord board and use it everytime i go away. I dont think i could live without it especially kids use it to rest their tablets and also stops anyone falling out. (better than net for sure)

Thanks both, very useful info which confirms what I'd concluded. I'll order the extra option so I can keep the rails for daytime use of the storage net.

The video also shows sufficient space to route a cable for a heater down to the plug. This is exactly what I was thinking and will do the same (if required) rather than have the extra hole and hose to syphon off the diesel heater.

here is a link to the luggage net adapter