Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

500 miles

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just back from a day out (first proper outing) in Sheringham...fish n chips in the van!
That makes us 500 miles now clocked thus far in new toy..love it. First time driving it for Cee...first time she could drive a bus for seven years...god bless power steering. Looking fwd to doing many more! Arriving home without aching arms or back is still a novelty! Its such a dream to drive and finding the 140 just powers me past all the slow drivers...the days of winding up to overtake or starting braking 400 yds before a roundabout are also over!
Out of interest..what mpg do you get from your Cali? I think I need to have a less heavy right foot :lol:

They are easy to drive, I clocked 599 miles in a day last month and felt fine on arrival.

Re MPG, try as I may, can't get an average above 30MPG in my 180DSG

:lol: :lol: David sounds like your not missing your old bus :lol: :lol:
If I stick to speed limits I can average 38mpg on a run. I love the fish and chips in sheringham
Sounds like you had a good day.

sweet dave welcome to the dark side .i pass places were we would stop in are split for a rest just fly past them now in the calie .all best martin adams .

did i spot you on the A47 heading towards peterborough !!
dave

A47 Peterbrough at around 9 ish? yep that was us!
the trip thingy tells me I have averaged 34.8 thus far..pretty good then as was not taking it slowly :D
its so hard not to drive fast - cruise at 70 does not feel like 70! and trying to keep to 30 means 3rd gear :shock: it wants to drive itself...

I haven't quite worked it out yet but....
Most of the driving I do is to and from work; constantly up and down the gears and only a couple of miles. When I filled up the display showed 450 miles to next fill up. I then drive down to south Wales and back at the weekend on motorways. When I got back it was showing 525 miles to next fill up!! Sadly after a few local miles today it is back down to 460!!
I'll have a scroll through later and sort out av MPG

I'm getting 32 ish from my 180dsg on a run (according to the computer!)

exactly the same here 32mpg, it has started to improve since I hit 10K, this time last year was only getting about 27mpg

Less than 25mpg when I checked last week - yikes!! Mostly rural driving which doesn't help. On 700 miles now so hoping it will loosen up soon!

Mine started off doing 16 and has quickly improved.

Hi,

I have a 2004 California Comfort (lhd) 174 bhp and I had it chipped over 18 months ago for economy to 215 bhp.Because of torque of engine the tuner was able to reduce rpm in every gear by 300 rpm. ( high revs = high huel consumption)
If I cruise at 65 mph i can get 40mpg constantly.....just to try on a trip from York to St Ives Cornwall I ran at 56mph for a stretch and got 44 mpg.
However If I need to it will still crack on at high speed as we all know !!!
I also have a 1960 Porsche 356 and it would be hard to choose if one had to go !!!!
California is a wonderfull machine...and nothing has broken yet !!!!

Kev if you go to the bottom of the box that you post in and keep going down you will see An options box
If you click it it will let you upload a picture. Then choose file then add the file and that should work. :thumb
Hope this help. I use an iPad it won't let me do it but if you are on a pc you should be ok.

My 2011 180DSG is averaging 24 mpg, done 4000 miles most of which is short trips in Milton Keynes with roundabouts & a lot of up the gears then down again.
Hoping it will loosen up soon & improve before prices of fuel go absolutely stupid !