Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Beach tour EHU

danvan

danvan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I quite like the idea of a Beach Tour (95% of the time we use the van as a family car, rather than a camper), but the lack of EHU is a problem for a weekend away if you're not moving the van and using the battery to power a fridge etc (I assume anyway, our SE will last about 4 days without EHU and still run the fridge etc, but presumably having 2 batteries makes a difference?) Anyway, if you went down the solar route, would that provide sufficient charge to keep a Beach Tour's battery topped up while running a fridge? Or would the drain be higher than the gain?

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Our 2 x 120w solar panels keeps the two batteries charged for continuous use of fridge on No5 in British weather for all but the bleakest winter days. Not persuaded that 1 x 100watt panel would give you the gain you are after; you should be okay with single panel in summer for 4/5 days in British summer (?) but battery would lose power after this. Just start the engine for 30 mins when battery drops.

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
If it’s any help, I used to camp in the Middle East with a fridge running constantly for 4-5 days with maybe one drive for supplies in the middle and never had problems, weather 25-35 degrees. When I ordered my beach camper did away with the EHU but ended up with one when I picked up an in stock camper. I figured I could run an extension lead and plug the fridge in if I really needed as not much else in the van to be powered. The boost charging mode on the 6.1 does a good job too. Try it and if it doesn’t work, get a retrofit.

D

Dadwithbeach

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150

Well i have found the solution this looks so smart and very OEM reckon it’s the best solution for the Tour, amazing that VW didn’t think of it, but they seem to have really scrimped on the Tour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
Grand California 600
If it’s any help, I used to camp in the Middle East with a fridge running constantly for 4-5 days with maybe one drive for supplies in the middle and never had problems, weather 25-35 degrees. When I ordered my beach camper did away with the EHU but ended up with one when I picked up an in stock camper. I figured I could run an extension lead and plug the fridge in if I really needed as not much else in the van to be powered. The boost charging mode on the 6.1 does a good job too. Try it and if it doesn’t work, get a retrofit.
I am pressing boost charging and is long time running noisy motor make empty leisure battery full - is not good solution.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Can help prevent rust longterm if you avoid cutting into the panel. Some older vans (T2,T25, T4) tend to have rust streaks around hookup and/or fridge vent.
Because it’s not been done well enough.

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Can’t do that as double sliding doors gets in the way
Grand California water fill chut is going back of side door when is open. water chut is same look and way open is electric charge connect door.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Grand California water fill chut is going back of side door when is open. water chut is same look and way open is electric charge connect door.
Yes but you don't have the Flap open and the EHU lead plugged in to be damaged by the sliding door.

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Yes but you don't have the Flap open and the EHU lead plugged in to be damaged by the sliding door.
yes can be plug and open - be careful gentle open slide door and not push all way to end when door can hitting plug.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
yes can be plug and open - be careful gentle open slide door and not push all way to end when door can hitting plug.
Well the pictures I have just reviewed have the Water filler on the sliding door side and the EHU socket on the non-sliding door side close to the rear light assembly.

VW California Club