Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 4Motion RoadTrip to Eastern Turkey

A

Adeybruce

Vehicle
Grand California 680
2,500 mile roadtrip across to Eastern Turkey is complete.
Wild camping, no hook-up, every night. GC performed well. 27 mpg. Daytime temp around 38 degrees, and air con struggled a little to keep the van cool when driving. It was cool enough to sleep at night with all windows open.
Water pump is manually connected to a homemade switch, so it works when I want it to. Rattling on poor quality roads is persistent.
4Motion was tested many times, and was invaluable.
Wish I had opted for the toilet ventilation!!
But overall, a great vehicle.

Just as a point of interest, the first picture is of a goat! I hadn’t fully appreciated that these male ‘buck’ goats were quite such magnificent animals, tough and proud.
In the remote places we camped,it was often the goat herder who would be the only person we saw. Living remote and I guess lonely lives, it was a pleasure to try and talk with the herder, share a coffee or beer and some food.
These buck goats were genuinely impressive, and responsibility for the herd seem to lay somewhere between the herder and the buck.

Awsome pictures definitely inspired
Definitely not booring nothing better than to see trips like this and some feedback on the grand California did you spec diff lock?
And if so is it needed?
Lovely van
Great question re diff lock, to late for me though picking mine up Thursday all being well.

Fantastic road journey great to see what can be done in one of these, love your photos. did you have any issues regarding reliability overall apart from the water pump. and was it safe to travel?

Awsome pictures definitely inspired
Definitely not booring nothing better than to see trips like this and some feedback on the grand California did you spec diff lock?
And if so is it needed?
Lovely van
Thanks for the appreciation.
I did spec the diff lock, and from off-road driving experience if you’re opting for AWD then then the diff lock is just as important. Without it, all the drive will go to the spinning wheel. But, I’m not sure many people will be daft enough to take their super expensive campervan off-road like me ;)

Fantastic road journey great to see what can be done in one of these, love your photos. did you have any issues regarding reliability overall apart from the water pump. and was it safe to travel?
Some vans have electric steps that apparently have a mind of their own, I removed mine so can’t comment. Reliability was spot on (I’ve done 12,000 pretty tough miles).
I almost prefer having a manual water pump switch, and will probably hard-wire my temporary one. And yes, safe to travel. The FCO advice is pretty accurate as to where not to go. We were met with curiosity and friendliness wherever we went. On trying to find one mountain plateau I hit a dead end in a farmers olive grove; he spent 20 minutes guiding me reversing back up a goat track (didn’t have to heart to tell him I had a camera and side sensors), whereupon he put his neighbour in my passenger seat to act as a navigator. I was pretty unsure about the arrangement, but he guided us to a water fall where we camped for 2 days, taking the most glorious showers and enjoying spectacular scenery.

Some vans have electric steps that apparently have a mind of their own, I removed mine so can’t comment. Reliability was spot on (I’ve done 12,000 pretty tough miles).
I almost prefer having a manual water pump switch, and will probably hard-wire my temporary one. And yes, safe to travel. The FCO advice is pretty accurate as to where not to go. We were met with curiosity and friendliness wherever we went. On trying to find one mountain plateau I hit a dead end in a farmers olive grove; he spent 20 minutes guiding me reversing back up a goat track (didn’t have to heart to tell him I had a camera and side sensors), whereupon he put his neighbour in my passenger seat to act as a navigator. I was pretty unsure about the arrangement, but he guided us to a water fall where we camped for 2 days, taking the most glorious showers and enjoying spectacular scenery.
Sounds brilliant

Inspiring stuff. This is great content so thanks for sharing. I usually read though posts on my own late at night but I am taking the Mac straight upstairs to the Missus to show her your pics right away.

We have opted for a 18-plate Cali to be going on with but with our designs on the larger van for the future so most interested in your early-adopter experiences.

Great pics you've posted, it looks ace.:thumb:thumb

Just one tip.
I think there is a white Ducato following you, watch your back :D

Great pics you've posted, it looks ace.:thumb:thumb

Just one tip.
I think there is a white Ducato following you, watch your back :D

That's a mate who rented a van out here - after driving a sheer road down Mt Nemrut (2,230 metres) the brakes caught fire and the plastic wheel caps melted and fell off. The GC680 was fine, but you could feel some real heat coming off the brakes. Oh, he's just about to order a GC680 he liked mine so much.

Hi Bruce nice to meet you I’m new here, beautiful pictures by the way!

About the no hook up, are you using the standard 92ah AGM battery and the standard 170w solar roof? Did you drive very often to recharge the battery?

I’m asking because I found this forum with your thread about maybe upgrading to lithium in the future, since it is something I’m also planning to do I would like to know about your experience with the standard equipment

Best,

Hi Bruce nice to meet you I’m new here, beautiful pictures by the way!

About the no hook up, are you using the standard 92ah AGM battery and the standard 170w solar roof? Did you drive very often to recharge the battery?

I’m asking because I found this forum with your thread about maybe upgrading to lithium in the future, since it is something I’m also planning to do I would like to know about your experience with the standard equipment

Best,
I never switch off the fridge, and even though the van has sometimes not moved for several days, only once since Oct did I run out of power. Now it’s pretty sunny in Turkey, but equally the fridge has to work hard. So I think in normal circumstances, the 92ah battery is just about okay for many people. But throw in some winter camping while static (skiing perhaps), or a few more power consumers and that all changes. And the 600 is going to be even more borderline with only 100w of solar. Lithium is a relatively easy fit it would seem, so at some point I will go down that route.
On this particular roadtrip, driving most days, I never dropped below 70%.

I never switch off the fridge, and even though the van has sometimes not moved for several days, only once since Oct did I run out of power. Now it’s pretty sunny in Turkey, but equally the fridge has to work hard. So I think in normal circumstances, the 92ah battery is just about okay for many people. But throw in some winter camping while static (skiing perhaps), or a few more power consumers and that all changes. And the 600 is going to be even more borderline with only 100w of solar. Lithium is a relatively easy fit it would seem, so at some point I will go down that route.
On this particular roadtrip, driving most days, I never dropped below 70%.
That’s informative when I get it home will investigate additional panel if room on the roof.

Thanks

Thank you Bruce for taking your time with a such explained response,

The original setup is not suitable for me 170w Solar/92ah Battery and definitely change battery which is under the bonnet I don’t know why, would be challenging with warranty of the vehicle and from the lithium battery, here in Portugal we rarely go to a campsite and weather would not be a problem

I have 2 units of the Ecoflow Delta 1300 that works great on my actual setup but I would like to have a more permanent setup with a inverter on the new 680 unfortunately it won’t be possible since the 5 years guarantee is more important to me now

Thank you again for your reply, once you have the time to check I would appreciate if you can confirm if your 12v outlet on the back under the outdoor shower have permanent current from the board battery when the vehicle is off, thank you!

Yes, the rear socket comes from the board battery and is permanent live. I know because I use this to power my water pump!
Lithium should be easy for you under the bonnet if the temperature isn’t going to drop below Zero. If you use a certified electrician I don’t think it will effect your warranty as I think I’ve read on German forums that it’s okay.
I’ve heard there’s great wild camping in Portugal - let’s hear about your travels!

Hey adeybruce
We have been going through the motions of buying a crafter conversion.on a Westfalia Sven hedin but the dealer is totally ignorant to our questions about spec now we have left him the deposit.
this is making us rethink our decision.
If we had a warranty issue god forbid what it would be like to get it fixed.....
Any way
after looking at a grand caliat the wknd for the first time since seeing it and not being that keen at the Birmingham nec we really started to like it.
After speaking to one dealer who has a 2wd in stock he said stay away from a 4motion Ull be lucky to get 20mpg on a run .????
Ideally if we was going to get one with it Being a big beast we would want 4motion ....
Do you have any honest input about the 4motion fuel economy please that will help us in our purchase
Cheers in advance
One tester upon your questions, you are on a trip around europe, Turkey wherever and you have an issue where do you go easily, yes the base unit is a Crafter what about the other 50%.

Others have said its clinical, well look inside most members calis, fairy lights , different seat covers stick on table covers, carpets an on, all of which you can do to the GC to make it yours. And of course the price in which its no different to a good spec Westfalia Sven hedin.

I believe they use MAN as a base unit, still a Crafter.
Just an opinion.
Will

Last edited:
Hey adeybruce
We have been going through the motions of buying a crafter conversion.on a Westfalia Sven hedin but the dealer is totally ignorant to our questions about spec now we have left him the deposit.
this is making us rethink our decision.
If we had a warranty issue god forbid what it would be like to get it fixed.....
Any way
after looking at a grand caliat the wknd for the first time since seeing it and not being that keen at the Birmingham nec we really started to like it.
After speaking to one dealer who has a 2wd in stock he said stay away from a 4motion Ull be lucky to get 20mpg on a run .????
Ideally if we was going to get one with it Being a big beast we would want 4motion ....
Do you have any honest input about the 4motion fuel economy please that will help us in our purchase
Cheers in advance
This is what @Adeybruce said in his first post above:
2,500 mile roadtrip across to Eastern Turkey is complete.
Wild camping, no hook-up, every night. GC performed well. 27 mpg. Daytime temp around 38 degrees, and air con struggled a little to keep the van cool when driving. It was cool enough to sleep at night with all windows open.
Water pump is manually connected to a homemade switch, so it works when I want it to. Rattling on poor quality roads is persistent.
4Motion was tested many times, and was invaluable.
Wish I had opted for the toilet ventilation!!
But overall, a great vehicle.

Looks like great trip - did you have any trouble with “security” - we travelled around mardin / Diyarbakir / sanliurfa in 2000 and things were a bit tense

Thanks I must of missed that bit .
Too busy drooling over the pictures
Thanks .....
so that’s way better than the You will struggle to get 20mpg out of a 4motion that I was told by one dealer selling a 2wd

So a bit more on fuel consumption if it helps. Your dealer must have a 2WD in stock that he’s trying to shift! My 4 Motion has done 12,000 miles:

- overall average is 27.4 MPG.
- my commute to work today, 20 miles of which 12 were motorway at 70MPH and 8 were stop/start rush hour traffic. 28.3MPG
- this road trip which had fast motorways, dirt tracks, mountain road, off road sections, was hot (air con usage was high): 26.8MPG.

I do not know how this compares to a 2WD 680, or even a 600. I hope that this helps.

Back