Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Big Thank You

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
Took a drive down to Hayling island today - checking out a car park off the beach which allows you to stay overnight. Was a lovely place to stay - there's a pub called, 'The Inn on the Beach'

Whilst there I met up with Stu - who very kindly did me the speedo change - so we have the large MPH in the centre of the screen.

BettySpeedo2.jpg

It's a godsend - why have VW not fitted this to UK T5's???? You can see your speed at a glance and it looks really nice.

Driving down to Hayling Island from Essex - we hit something of a gale - so the MPG dropped and I am not entirely sure what happened on the way back but MPG even at 65 was at 44/45

BettySpeedo.jpg

Now, I don't want to endow Stu with 'magic powers' but... He tinkered with Betty and I have never seen MPG like that lol.

Seriously thanks Stu - thanks for taking time out of your day - it's a really worthwhile change and it is much appreciated.

James

Thanks guys.

It really is nothing special just a couple of minutes of time. As I have said before if our paths cross be sure to ask me if you'd like it done. :thumb

Nice to meet up with you today James, hope you had a good day out. :thumb

m4rky said:
That's a really nice mod there - Leaves the display completely uncluttered

Nice one Stu for doing that too!

The VW DIS system is one of the better to use and works really nice. I have seen German Vans on Youtube when the KPH version.

This is a great mod :)

James

Stu said:
Thanks guys.

It really is nothing special just a couple of minutes of time. As I have said before if our paths cross be sure to ask me if you'd like it done. :thumb

Nice to meet up with you today James, hope you had a good day out. :thumb

Hi Stu

Yes - it was a good drive out - it's a lovely stop over and one we will be using.

:thanks

James

Custard said:
Driving down to Hayling Island from Essex - we hit something of a gale - so the MPG dropped and I am not entirely sure what happened on the way back but MPG even at 65 was at 44/45

Now, I don't want to endow Stu with 'magic powers' but... He tinkered with Betty and I have never seen MPG like that lol.

That's great to see that kind of figure. I regularly get 45-49 MPG, on my way to work, doing 55-65 MPH on the motorway. If I do 70-75, that figure drops below 40 MPG. On the back roads when the M25 is stuffed, it is usually closer to 30-35 MPG.

Done around 1200 miles so far, so I may expect further improvements over the first 10K miles.

Chris

syrup1971 said:
Custard said:

That's great to see that kind of figure. I regularly get 45-49 MPG, on my way to work, doing 55-65 MPH on the motorway. If I do 70-75, that figure drops below 40 MPG. On the back roads when the M25 is stuffed, it is usually closer to 30-35 MPG.

Done around 1200 miles so far, so I may expect further improvements over the first 10K miles.

Chris

Chris

I've done about 1200 miles also - we drove back at around 65 most of the way yesterday. Like you say, if you hit 70 to 75 then it does drop.

The highest I have seen so far for me and considering the van and it's nature, I think that is pretty remarkable.

I will be interested to see if it increases :)

James

Where am I going wrong, as I'm only getting approx. 26mpg on my 180 4-Motion? :crazy Has anyone got some fuel/mileage improvement suggestions? :clap

I have a RS4 that gets about 28mpg and a BMW 535d that returns about 39mpg, so I'm not lead footed.

That's probably not far off the mark to be honest.

On short journeys I seem to be around 30 and the best I've seen is 38 on a long run in France at 110kmh. Step over that and it drinks like a fish.

Doing 80mph in France saw me in the 28 club.

Of course I don't have the 4Mo.

Stu .... Could I do a swop at the meet :) beer and cake if you could do that to my display ... The wife would love it ,as it's the same as the old Audi and her eyes arn't that great anymore ... Lol :)

When we meet you'll see that with a figure like mine I already ate too much cake, beer though, well that's another story :laugh2

Of course mate :thumb

Lol lol ..... The wife has some of those Atkins bars and I'm only aloud lite beer ,so all's good my friend .... Lol :)

Atkins Bars???

Are they like a 32oz Steak in a handy pocket sized bar??? :rofl

I think the reason that VW don't do this from factory for the UK vehicles is that EU legislation means that your vehicle has to display your speed in KM/H other than the speedo. I understand that this mod allows you to switch units, but I think this is why iot is not done by VW when they are built.

Reference fuel consumption, the 2.0 litre engine does take around 10,000 miles before the MPG will get to its best.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
I think the reason that VW don't do this from factory for the UK vehicles is that EU legislation means that your vehicle has to display your speed in KM/H other than the speedo. I understand that this mod allows you to switch units, but I think this is why iot is not done by VW when they are built.

Reference fuel consumption, the 2.0 litre engine does take around 10,000 miles before the MPG will get to its best.

cheers

Alex I can understand that.

It's a shame because it is a great safety feature - driving last night - having a bold clear speed to glance at makes a big difference.

James

It's strange I seem to get the same mpg whatever. 33 is the magic number.

I do have leadfootitus, although its better than its ever been.

Back