A California as your main vehicle?

I (successfully) use my California Beach as my sole vehicle

• Total voters
Rhyddin

Rhyddin

A T6 Beach, named Dory
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I just wanted to run a quick poll - and I apologise if it's been done before - but I am still not 100% convinced of the suitability of a Beach as my everyday vehicle.

My A6 is fantastic but there are plenty of things which would make a Beach a fun alternative. Obviously, I'd lose my performance, 4 wheel drive, luxury, etc but I could spec a Beach with plenty of toys, meaning I gain a versatile base camp on days out, a mobile changing room for my son at his football matches, a place to sleep on spontaneous weekends away with the family and, of course, better residuals. But, I drive 15k miles a year, use multi storey car parks a lot and cant quite take the leap.

I'm in no hurry, as my Audi is under three years old and, more importantly, I am reluctant to place an order until VW uk seem to actually know what is on their own options list, but 2016 should be the year for change. I get a car allowance from work that would be paying for the Beach and I'm not too worried about the company approving but, again, has anyone else made that step? if so, how has it been? Pros, cons?

We have run our Cali as a only "car" (van) for the last 38 months and nearly 50,000 miles so with reference to a Beach my view is yes. Although tend not to use Multi story car parks most have heights clearly marked. We consider our van a mobile beach hut.

I don't have a Beach but have the SE, only 2 of us. Car parking is rarely a problem as most are 2m or more, so not a problem for a California with an awning.
Besides everything you have mentioned the California, as a Beach or SE, is an effortless long distance cruiser and when it comes to a Motorway stop - so much nicer sitting in your own " Living Room " in the car park.
The Beach is just the VIP of the " People Carriers " with so much more to offer and capable of doing.

We replaced a BMW 5 series touring with our Beach, our only other vehicle is a Sprnter van for business use.
Over the 19 months that we have owned our Beach, we have covered 17,500 miles (7,000 miles on 2 x Euro trips). MPG is slightly better than the BMW. We never use multi storey parking, in fact we are really particular where we park full stop. I wish we would of had something similar to a California, when our children were young for there sporting activities. We are concious that every now and then we need to give the Beach a prolonged journey during the winter, as we mostly do very short urban driving when not touring or going off camping for a short break.
We obviously don't get the same driving experience as we had in our 5 series but we smile a lot more!

We replaced a BMW 5 series touring with our Beach, our only other vehicle is a Sprnter van for business use.
Over the 19 months that we have owned our Beach, we have covered 17,500 miles (7,000 miles on 2 x Euro trips). MPG is slightly better than the BMW. We never use multi storey parking, in fact we are really particular where we park full stop. I wish we would of had something similar to a California, when our children were young for there sporting activities. We are concious that every now and then we need to give the Beach a prolonged journey during the winter, as we mostly do very short urban driving when not touring or going off camping for a short break.
We obviously don't get the same driving experience as we had in our 5 series but we smile a lot more!
Great reply, thanks. Very relatable.

My SE is used only for trips , it sits in our garage next to our two other cars .
A 15 year Renault Kangoo ( my car :D)
And a 5 year Renault Grand Sceinic for her....

My daily verhicle is my E-bike on witch i go up and down to work 18km one way ...no matter the weather ( not in snow !)
Just bought a new E-bike , my previous was 20 months i did 10.000km....on it .:thumb

Our California SE (Comfortline) is well covered in a garage during winter and summer. We use it as soon the snow is gone again. My old (13y) Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI, 4x4 runs with 7l/100, the Cali goes with 7-8l/100.
I/we prefer to drive with our van&would like to use it as an everydaycar however imo it's better for the van to rest during winter because our streets are covered with salt (or is this just another fairy tale?).

sapto

My view is that in every respect the Cali will be better, other than the comfort and driving experience. Physics dictate that it can never match a decent road car from a pure driving perspective. At the end of the day, it depends how important this aspect is to you and how you like to use your car. For me I know I would find our Cali frustrating to use everyday driving to and from where I work, hence it is enjoyed on holidays and high days.

I could understand if you were considering an SE as a replacement. In my op the Beach is pointless given it lacks everything you need for a camping trip.
I'd go RS4.

I could understand if you were considering an SE as a replacement. In my op the Beach is pointless given it lacks everything you need for a camping trip.
I'd go RS4.
I think it's a bit harsh to say the Beach is pointless from a camping POV. It does still have the elevating roof, a large double bed, 240v and a leisure battery. What is does give you is a very flexible vehicle that is able to be converted for different uses. Camping is just done in a different way with a portable kitchen and boxes for storage. You soon get use to it. Take seats out and you have a van, put more in for a people carrier.

I swapped my Audi A8 for a Cali and I'm glad I did. I just feel happier in the Cali. When I go out in it I feel as though I am going on holiday; when I went out in the A8 I always felt as though I was on my way to a business meeting (and should be wearing a suit)! The Cali is also a much more versatile vehicle.

After 30 years of driving good quality company cars I am now semi-retired and run a Beach as sole transport. I find mine a pleasure to drive but I perhaps now have a more relaxed attitude when behind the wheel. If you understand the vehicle and adapt your driving, it is very rewarding and certainly comfortable. I drove 400 miles 25% motorway / 75% cross country last month without any discomfort. Knowing that you can stop any time to make a brew / have a relaxed snack and read the paper in comfort makes a big difference. Knowing that, if you are held up, you can just roll out the bed and have an overnight stop, is life changing and the reason why buying my Beach was the best decision I've made in recent years.

I think it's a bit harsh to say the Beach is pointless from a camping POV. It does still have the elevating roof, a large double bed, 240v and a leisure battery. What is does give you is a very flexible vehicle that is able to be converted for different uses. Camping is just done in a different way with a portable kitchen and boxes for storage. You soon get use to it. Take seats out and you have a van, put more in for a people carrier.
Plus, we have a caravan for the bigger trips: king size memory foam topped bed, washroom, etc. The beach would be more of a day van with the option of a bed.

Have run all manner of bmw s etc over the years and swapped to a blinged up t5 with caravelle interior 3 years ago. Now looking to swap to a Cali to stay away in on business rather than dull hotels.

Can't imagine going back to any boring old saloon despite doing 20-25k a year in the van. It's got character and puts a smile on my face, even if the ride on 20" Range Rover alloys isn't the best.

Have run all manner of bmw s etc over the years and swapped to a blinged up t5 with caravelle interior 3 years ago. Now looking to swap to a Cali to stay away in on business rather than dull hotels.

Can't imagine going back to any boring old saloon despite doing 20-25k a year in the van. It's got character and puts a smile on my face, even if the ride on 20" Range Rover alloys isn't the best.

Agree with everything you said, and that's why VW don't supply 20" wheels as an accessory.

Agree with everything you said, and that's why VW don't supply 20" wheels as an accessory.
But they look so god on 20's that the reduction in ride quality is well worth it. Our Cali will be going on big wheels when we get it for sure

We have 2 vehicles.
skylark 1 was a Toyota Granvia which was an amazing everyday vehicle.
Similar spec to an SE but 20% of the cost.
She went everywhere. I used to take her in the Aldi carpark.

The problem for me with a pristine £50k SE is that I can't bring myself to park anywhere that I can't set up a 6ft perimeter! OMG I'm a wreck on tiny Scottish ferries :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:Nailbiting get that bike pedal away from my beautiful shiny sides.

Starlight express must be 2 inches wider then the Granvia. If the spot your trying to get into isn't next to something that is perfectly parked you're going to get dinked on the side.

It depends how much you feel the Cali lurve and I'm besotted :happy

If you can cope with dinks then it'll be perfect, an oasis in a frantic world.

We have 2 vehicles.
skylark 1 was a Toyota Granvia which was an amazing everyday vehicle.
Similar spec to an SE but 20% of the cost.
She went everywhere. I used to take her in the Aldi carpark.

The problem for me with a pristine £50k SE is that I can't bring myself to park anywhere that I can't set up a 6ft perimeter! OMG I'm a wreck on tiny Scottish ferries :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:Nailbiting get that bike pedal away from my beautiful shiny sides.

Starlight express must be 2 inches wider then the Granvia. If the spot your trying to get into isn't next to something that is perfectly parked you're going to get dinked on the side.

It depends how much you feel the Cali lurve and I'm besotted :happy

If you can cope with dinks then it'll be perfect, an oasis in a frantic world.
You park very close on the drivers side and use sliding door. Then they have to pull out to have a chance of getting in. :thumb

3 years driving around in our Beach as a daily driver and I can't think of anything better to have. Does everything you want a vehicle to do.

Shopping trips, massive boot.
People mover with plenty of space.
Weekend camping trips has all that's required.
Ski trips to the Alps, 5 people and all the kit, easy
Two/three weeks around Europe, ticked that box as well. It's honestly a great all rounder.
It may lack some of the airs and graces of a BMW of Mercedes, but it more than makes up for it with its versatility...!!!

When I nearly swapped my high top and my old skoda for a (single) t5 Cali, I shared Skylark's worries. It wasn't the size or height, just the worry of parking such a valuable and pristine vehicle in all the places I needed to go.
If you are already running an A8 or Merc of similar value (without too much stress), you'll be fine with a Cali for everyday.

We have only our beach on our drive. We moved up from a 7 seat MPV (verso) and fine it a far better MPV. Parking it is easier my wife has said due to better shape and visibility. We have had to avoid only one car park so far (a very low multi story) and as long a you are aware of the hight it's no issue. The local tip is the biggest pain as the have a hight barrier (1.8m) that is only open on a Friday afternoon and Saturday morning! A bonus is that it uses no more fuel than the last car (it was a petrol).

I'd go RS4.
An RS4 could be fun but, compared to my Quattro 3.0 diesel, it's only a few seconds quicker to 60 but with half the mpg. The V8 of the RS4 sounds a damn sight better though! In fact, it's probably worth it for the sound alone!
Anyway, the Beach would be more of a people carrier that we can sleep/change/picnic in at weekends, which makes it far more suited to me than an Ocean/SE.
Incidentally, I think it has everything you need for a camping trip - but without the obligation to carry it everywhere 24/7. Admittedly, the fact that the Beach tends to be more of a daily use vehicle makes the compromises on things like the dashboard on the T6 all the more puzzling/irritating.

My beach is my daily driver, and so far I am loving it. Parking is possible but you have to be more selective (or maybe that's the fear of parking a £38k vehicle?), I would not go in a multi-story and am always cautious of 2m car parks (1.95m beach).

Its very versatile, I've moved furniture enough times that it's made me wish once or twice that I hadn't bought it, so that I wouldn't get asked so often. ;)

We regularly go for long walks out with our dogs, and being able to carry plenty of towels and their bowls etc in the under seat storage is handy. Also great for trips for 5 people in comfort, its a good ride (if a little jittery/hard in the back on bumpy roads imho) and leg room you only usually get on a 1st class flight ;) Add in the table and camping chairs in the boot and its a great picnic vehicle.

Brilliant for shopping (once you get past the parking challenge).

The camping side is the one area that we haven't quite figured out how to enjoy properly. The roof bed is very comfy, the downstairs bed, awful without a topper.

Its great to not be carrying around all the weight of a kitchen unit all the time but it also doesn't really feel like a camper. There isn't really any decent storage beyond the boot area without adorning the van in expensive bags (I've been trying to find some kind of trunk I can adapt to fit to the rails).

You can easily get a lot of gear in the boot/trunk in crates but I personally don't want to be running back and forth to the boot every time I want my clothes, or to fetch something etc. Its fine in nice weather and summer but in the autumn or winter it just isn't practical. For this reason a camping pod or a drive away awning is a must and they are on my list to buy. I'm airing on the side of a pod because we prefer to keep moving on our camper trips and having to constantly take an awning up and down, or load and unload the boot just puts us off.

Very happy with the Beach, and once I address the camping aspects it will be a perfect all rounder.

p.s. fuel consumption isn't amazing but not bad for the size. Around town miles is pretty low however long trips is good.

Last edited:
Back