Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A California as your main vehicle?

I (successfully) use my California Beach as my sole vehicle

• Total voters
We use our Beach everyday. It does everything I need in style. Its regularly carrying 7 people, acres of room for shopping or just stretching out whilst waiting for netball training to chuck out. We did over 30 nights camping too last year with between 2 and 6 people sleeping on board. I even go in multi-storey car parks- but only when I have researched the height restrictions before. I enjoy the high driving position and the performance is fine. I find I adapt my driving style to the way the Beach goes- relaxed and easy.
I never considered an SE because I need 6 seats.
Thanks James. I took the plunge earlier this month and have my perfect Beach being built in week 14 (apparently). Decided to give the £1500 LED lights a miss but ticked most of the other options boxes! It'll be a great vehicle, I'm sure.

We're using our Ocean as an everyday vehicle. Only downside is 30mpg compared to 50+ on our previous Merc.

Almost one week in to owning an SE after trading my much loved Range Rover Sport. I've used the Cali to drive to central London for meetings, sat in some horrific traffic jams, already had a weekend stopover at a hard pitch in Chichester, driven to the shops and parked in standard car parks. I've racked up almost 500 miles already and can safely say it's an awesome piece of kit. The driving position is fantastic, the gear changes on the DSG are clean, the torque is spot on and the load space is simply outstanding. The only thing I really miss about the Range Rover is the beautifully comfy perforated leather seats - but hey I can live without these. As for mpg I'm getting well over 30 which is 10+ more than before. :thumb

Thanks James. I took the plunge earlier this month and have my perfect Beach being built in week 14 (apparently). Decided to give the £1500 LED lights a miss but ticked most of the other options boxes! It'll be a great vehicle, I'm sure.

Good decision.
No way I would pay £1500 for some fairy lights. Must need your head testing to pay for that option.
I changed my front bulbs to crisp white and they look spot on. Gets rid of the dull yellow lamps for nicer looking white. Visually looks better:cool:
Cost £18 a bulb:thumb

Almost one week in to owning an SE after trading my much loved Range Rover Sport. I've used the Cali to drive to central London for meetings, sat in some horrific traffic jams, already had a weekend stopover at a hard pitch in Chichester, driven to the shops and parked in standard car parks. I've racked up almost 500 miles already and can safely say it's an awesome piece of kit. The driving position is fantastic, the gear changes on the DSG are clean, the torque is spot on and the load space is simply outstanding. The only thing I really miss about the Range Rover is the beautifully comfy perforated leather seats - but hey I can live without these. As for mpg I'm getting well over 30 which is 10+ more than before. :thumb

I love my Beach and have used as a daily for over 3 years now. Its great apart from the usual camp accessory rattles. Range Rover is a lot more luxurious and I must admit at times I wish I had a LR Disco. Only because its a bit more comfortable and quieter at motorway speeds.
:rolleyes:

the usual camp accessory rattles

I'm used to the rattles already. We looked at the Disco but it simply didn't compare for the money. We went for usability rather than comfort. We're off again this weekend and all we need to do is back is a change of clothes, some waterproofs and our washbags - beforehand we spent the night before prepping the two cars (RR Sport and BWM 1 series) to fit us all in. Glad we chose the Cali. :)

Main drawbacks for everyday use would be:
- size makes city parking more problematic - multi storey carparks can't be relied on
- 37mpg is quite a bit lower than say 50 plus mpg from typical diesel car

But there's obvious advantages so you have to decide....

Main drawbacks for everyday use would be:
- size makes city parking more problematic - multi storey carparks can't be relied on
- 37mpg is quite a bit lower than say 50 plus mpg from typical diesel car

But there's obvious advantages so you have to decide....
Never had any problems parking wherever, London, Cardiff, Norwich, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow etc: etc: and many other cities and towns both in the UK and abroad.
As far as mpg is concerned, I would be very surprised if you got anywhere near those figures with anything but a Smart car or Twingo.
My last 4 "normal" cars never gave more than 25 mpg real life consumption around towns. On my Cali I 'm getting 30 and use it every day, not commuting as I'm retired but everyday nonetheless.
It's no bigger than many of the large cars/ vans you see about.

Never had any problems parking wherever, London, Cardiff, Norwich, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow etc: etc: and many other cities and towns both in the UK and abroad.
As far as mpg is concerned, I would be very surprised if you got anywhere near those figures with anything but a Smart car or Twingo.
My last 4 "normal" cars never gave more than 25 mpg real life consumption around towns. On my Cali I 'm getting 30 and use it every day, not commuting as I'm retired but everyday nonetheless.
I've ordered a Beach since I began this thread but it's still great to hear people's feedback.

The Cali is actually slightly shorter than the A6 Avant it's replacing. Admittedly, it's a little wider but, with the mirrors folded in, there's only about 3cm difference. It's height that is concerning me - but I'll soon adjust where I go/park.

My Audi isn't as heavy as the Cali but does have a quite thirsty 3 litre diesel engine. As a result, I average around 35mpg in everyday use and low 40s on the motorway. Based on what I've read, including the 37mpg quoted by Custardtart, I'm hoping for much the same from my Beach.

I've ordered a Beach since I began this thread but it's still great to hear people's feedback.

The Cali is actually slightly shorter than the A6 Avant it's replacing. Admittedly, it's a little wider but, with the mirrors folded in, there's only about 3cm difference. It's height that is concerning me - but I'll soon adjust where I go/park.

My Audi isn't as heavy as the Cali but does have a quite thirsty 3 litre diesel engine. As a result, I average around 35mpg in everyday use and low 40s on the motorway. Based on what I've read, including the 37mpg quoted by Custardtart, I'm hoping for much the same from my Beach.
from my experience you will be spot on with the hoped mpg figres

My beach is about 34mpg average on my commute to work, mixed urban and country lane driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had our beach for a year now as a daily driver. Haven't regretted a single moment. Nice to drive with a smile on your face every time .

Ariadne has been my only vehicle for the past 13 months, tackling my daily commute and all other journeys, as well as holidays of course! The novelty has most definitely not worn off. My commute is no longer a bland start to the daily grind, and after an exhausting day at work, I climb into the Cali and know that she is worth every penny and every minute spent working to pay for her. I can't imagine leaving such an incredible vehicle parked up on the drive or in a garage for weeks on end between breaks away - I like to make the most of every opportunity to smile in life. :bananadance

For sure you'll find somewhere to park - I too have parked in many cities in the UK and abroad - but the height does preclude many multi-stories - there are topics on this forum about the subject.

For mpg I guess it depends on what the car is. My last mid- sized diesel car averaged 53mpg and colleagues driving 5-series BMW's are telling me they're getting 50's mpg in general and 60's on runs. Sportier versions will be thirstier.

Having used my Cali for the last 6 months to do a 120 mile round trip to where I'm currently working I was concerned that the mileage was rocketing at an alarming rate.

To share the mileage I've bought a car which uses twice the fuel, has 3x the BHP but strangely enough does the journey in exactly the same time....I reckon if I can keep both vehicles down to between 10 and 12K per year it shouldn't hit the residual values too hard.

Workmates think I'm mad using a 911 to commute in just to keep the mileage on a van down.

Having used my Cali for the last 6 months to do a 120 mile round trip to where I'm currently working I was concerned that the mileage was rocketing at an alarming rate.

To share the mileage I've bought a car which uses twice the fuel, has 3x the BHP but strangely enough does the journey in exactly the same time....I reckon if I can keep both vehicles down to between 10 and 12K per year it shouldn't hit the residual values too hard.

Workmates think I'm mad using a 911 to commute in just to keep the mileage on a van down.
I like it! Used to have a classic 911 myself - good choice!

I'm also a little worried about mileage but the engine in the Cali can cope with it and work's car allowance will be paying for most of it, anyway.

I just want my fun bus now!!

a california beach & 125cc vespa & bikes & public transport are the best for for our family of five!

late in on the thread but yes, sole vehicle for me & perfectly happy with that (i do, however, work from home)

Very nice set-up
I'm in a similar position, but instead opted for a very nice 987.2

Perfect garage. Van as my every day work horse. The Porka for the fun stuff

Back