Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A-pillar blind spot (BMWs are soft, contrary to Calis)

Andresz

Andresz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hello
Is it only me having the pillar blind spot issue on the Cali?

During the 2 years I have been using the van, I had 3 occasions in which I did not spot a car approaching from the right side (it would be the left side for you).
Unfortunately, the 3rd instance ended with a direct contact. In fact I first heard the bang, and only after I saw roof of the car in front of the bonnet.
Fortunately there was almost no damage on the Cali (scratches on the bumper, however the BMW, hit at it's left side looked quite ugly).
Yes, the BMW was dark grey color, and in heavy rain, in combination of the French driver not bothering to turn the lights on. But he was on the right side, so him having priority (France), and I did not see him at all until I hit him.
Is it only me having the issue with the a-pillar blind spot ?. It seems to me that the combination of thick pillar and large mirror makes the thing quite uneasy. I also had the insurance and French MOT stickers on the right corner of the windscreen, near the pillar, which made the blind spot even larger. I moved the stickers aside a bit, now. I also think to remove the darkened air deflectors... On top of it, the pillar's handle is contributing to visibility obstacle.

Regards
Andrzej

Re: Pillar blind spot

Can't say I have noticed will take a note and have a look

I know what you mean. The sight to the right is not completely free. Thus far I haven't missed any approaching vehicle (knock on wood), but I often have a problem with traffic lights in that area, waiting for red, not really able to see when they turn green...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

I also find it difficult as I have a bad neck. Did have a near go but thanks to my wife who also watches the speedo.all was well

Now, once I have the damage repaired (of course, with low cost in Poland :clap ), and emotions are low again :cool , and I can present you what actually has happened.

I also added a appropriate subtitle: "BMWs are soft..." :lol:

Cheers
Andrzej

WP_20140325_001[1].jpg WP_20140325_002[1].jpg

Back