Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Pillar Blind Spot

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have had a couple of blind spot instances recently, one where I didn’t see a whole car and another where I missed seeing a scooter until after I started moving to leave a junction. The blind spot on the T6 Cali is bigger than I thought.

I have had a couple of blind spot instances recently, one where I didn’t see a whole car and another where I missed seeing a scooter until after I started moving to leave a junction. The blind spot on the T6 Cali is bigger than I thought.

Mentioned this to my wife only yesterday. Really big blindspot but I guess inevitable on a 3-ton commercial vehicle. Just need to keep reminding ourselves at junctions.

You develop a “Bob” move your head either side by a couple of inches So you see either side of the blind spot.
The fact you’re aware of it should be enough to develop your own method, which becomes second nature.
check twice, think Bike, check again!

Last edited:
There are blind spots in every car ,
when looking in both the outside rear view mirrors (L - R ) frequent enough and looking over your sholder when changing lanes there should not be a problem .
it’s not a verhicle problem , more a driver problem imo.

Been a professional driver in the past with a lorry and cranes that way you learn to look in the mirrors.
Now a days with all the rear view mirrors having the blind spot light , rear view cameras , even automatic parking drivers are getting lazy and forget the basics about driving ....look arround and anticipate

In my Cali most the times all my blinds behind the drivers seat are closed when driving using only the outside rear view mirrors , never felt it was a problem.
No rear view camera in my Cali.
Have one in my Renault Kangoo builders van and most of the times i am allready parked and handbreak on realizing i did not look at the screen....

All 'A' pillars have been growing in order to fit
air bags in them.

I thought I was pretty good at using blind spot mirrors and looking over my shoulder around the B pillar.
One day, going up onto our new bypass, I was shocked when I almost went into another vehicle. The slip road onto the junction has a smooth left hand bend (UK so driving on the left). So whilst looking for vehicles as I came up the slip, and then checking mirrors before moving onto the carriage way, I did not see this vehicle. The vehicle sadly, was not anticipating other drivers and so had not moved out to the other lane to allow my entry. But did very quickly to avoid an accident.
I use this junction regularly and now take it much slower so I can check all angles, and again, and again, before entering the carriageway. It annoys the wotsits off people accelerating up the slip road behind me from 40 to 70...

when looking in both the outside rear view mirrors (L - R ) frequent enough and looking over your sholder when changing lanes there should not be a problem .

Been a professional driver in the past with a lorry and cranes that way you learn to look in the mirrors.
Now a days with all the rear view mirrors having the blind spot light , rear view cameras , even automatic parking drivers are getting lazy and forget the basics about driving ....look arround and anticipate

In my Cali most the times all my blinds behind the drivers seat are closed when driving using only the outside rear view mirrors , never felt it was a problem.
Have one in my Renault Kangoo builders van and most of the times i am allready parked and handbreak on realizing i did not look at the screen....
I never had a problem with the blind spots behind me, I used to ride bikes so naturally do a lifesaver check, it’s only the A pillars in front of me that I’ve had a problem with. I agree it is mainly a driver problem, not helped by the fat A pillars.

@Lightning , agree there regarding the A-pilar , as @westfalia said they got larger due the airbags ,front windshields are more angled also now a days .

At roundabouts it can happen small cars , bikes , motorbikes seem to move allong with you behind the A-pillar and then suddenly appear . Must say i had this yes .
Moving the head as @Perfectos said does the trick i guess?

Anything approaching on either side from the rear or lurking by the side and I get a nice big orange warning light on the wing mirrors. I don’t rely on them but it’s a nice-to-have bit of technology. The A Pillar blind spot on the Cali is bigger than any previous vehicle i’ve owned so just need to exercise caution at junctions and roundabouts etc and use a bit of @Perfectos style head bobbing :)

Anything approaching on either side from the rear or lurking by the side and I get a nice big orange warning light on the wing mirrors. I don’t rely on them but it’s a nice-to-have bit of technology. The A Pillar blind spot on the Cali is bigger than any previous vehicle i’ve owned so just need to exercise caution at junctions and roundabouts etc and use a bit of @Perfectos style head bobbing :)
My point was, on a left hand bend onto a slip road, I doubt the electronics would work.

Back