Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A quick drive over the Alps

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Recently returned from a superb 3 week trip in the California to Slovenia and Croatia.
We returned via the Grossglockner, the amazing road over the Alps in Austria. The brakes got a little warm (just discovered I can't attach my video of smoking brakes!!!). It may not have been as quick as the 911s, Lamborghinis and motorbikes that inhabit this road, but it was great fun. Slovenia is an incredible country and highly recommended for a Cali holiday, especially if you ride bikes. Anyone planning to go, I'd be happy to give some advice.

Definitely on our shortlist, so we'll probably be in contact to ask a few questions in a few month's time

I live in Slovenia, experiencing a lot of wild camping in the region (Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia) for years while hiking, climbing, ski touring, scuba diving and sea kayaking, so feel free to ask... Expecting my brand new Cali 4Motion in 4 weeks, replacing my good old Renault Trafic.

A great experience we went over a couple of years ago and had the benefit of fantastic weather. There was an International Vespa rally going over it at the same time, really cool Italians on classic Vespas in their hundreds.
Also can't believe how so many pedal cyclists tackle it.

There's an ACSI site at Heiligenblut at the start on the Italian side, worth stopping at.

Hubert

Grossglockner 92.jpg heiligenblut 2.jpg

Been to Slovenia and Croatia, both fantastic. Camped in Croatia and had a villa on Slovenia near Lake Bled. Lovely place!

cheers

Been over the Grossglockner twice in my old type 2 a few years ago now. Am debating where to go next year on a 4-5 week trip, but Slovenia Croatia Hungary is definitely a possibility.as is
Norway or Germany

Back