Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A tyre size question

B

burneyman-sparkle

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All
I'm new to the forum and I really look forward to chatting to you all. I've just bought a 2017 4Motion Beach 204 and I live in Andorra. I wanted to 4Motion and stationary heating so I can tackle some winter adventures.

Anyway, I have to put winter tyres on (it's required by law here) and I'm a little confused about the size.

The rims are standard J7x17, and as far as I know, the tyre size for a J7 is officially between 195-225 with the sweet spot being 205-215.

I see lots of conversations and sites suggesting that I put 235/55s on. Is there a reason for this? Seems like it would bulge.

I'm tempted to get 215/60s but wanted to ask if anyone knew why people are suggesting 235s for the J7 rim?
Is it something specific to the VW Rims?

Thanks for your help

Hi All
I'm new to the forum and I really look forward to chatting to you all. I've just bought a 2017 4Motion Beach 204 and I live in Andorra. I wanted to 4Motion and stationary heating so I can tackle some winter adventures.

Anyway, I have to put winter tyres on (it's required by law here) and I'm a little confused about the size.

The rims are standard J7x17, and as far as I know, the tyre size for a J7 is officially between 195-225 with the sweet spot being 205-215.

I see lots of conversations and sites suggesting that I put 235/55s on. Is there a reason for this? Seems like it would bulge.

I'm tempted to get 215/60s but wanted to ask if anyone knew why people are suggesting 235s for the J7 rim?
Is it something specific to the VW Rims?

Thanks for your help
There should be a label on the B pillar , drivers side normally, that details the recommended tyre sizes for your vehicle. I have a 4Motion and I run 235x55x17 103h All Season tyres.

I had a similar concern but was reassured when I spotted that 235/55 R17 is a tyre size identified on the tyre pressure sticker on the B-pillar of my California 204 4Motion.

I've just put a set of Michelin Crossclimate 235/55 R17 103Y tyres on the Cali instead of the van tyres fitted by VW and have noticed a significant improvement in comfort and road noise.

7" rim can use tyre width from 205 to 245, 235 being the optimum widest.

I have a 235 SUV tyre as a spare and it has marked on the side 'for 7" rim fitment'

Only criteria to be aware of is the load rating is 102 minimum with higher being better.

Your 215 choice is suited to actual snow conditions due to cutting through it rather than trying to ride over it as wider tyres do.
They will be expensive as van/commercial rating needed.

If you can use All Season tyres with the 3Peaks symbol it would be cheaper and no need for 2 sets of wheels or tyres.

Michelin
Agilis Crossclimate215/60R17 109T being the ultimate option or for a slight increase in road speed with engine rpm the 235/60/17 tyre will fit with no issues.

I use Michelin Crossclimate SUV 235/60/17 tyres as a cheaper option to the Agilis, again with the 3Peaks marking.

Lots prefer 235 as say it gives a more comfy ride on tarmac.

215 Packed snow
235 Deep snow / offroad

...but also check the door plate on the van.

//
  • Winter has the largest variety of surface conditions, meaning that the roads could be dry, wet, covered in snow, ice mud and slush, creating a need for the best winter tyres.
  • On soft surfaces, such as deep snow, wider tyres are better, as smaller tyre pressure prevents the wheels from getting stuck in the snow.
  • Narrow tyres, on the other hand, are superior on hard surfaces, where the increased pressure results in greater grip.
  • If you often drive on roads covered in hard snow or ice, typically found on infrequently maintained local roads, it's better to fit narrow tyres.
  • If you drive on main roads and city streets, which are typically well maintained, it is better to use standard tyres.
  • As for wide tyres, these only excel in deep snow, which is a surface that the average driver will rarely experience, if at all.
//

To have a definitive answer you need to look at the CoC.
Given your model and year, I am 99% sure you can drive on 235/55 17".
But why would you change tyres on your rims (assumng the summer tyres are still good) instead of buying a dedicated 2nd set of rims?

Lots prefer 235 as say it gives a more comfy ride on tarmac.

215 Packed snow
235 Deep snow / offroad

...but also check the door plate on the van.

//
  • Winter has the largest variety of surface conditions, meaning that the roads could be dry, wet, covered in snow, ice mud and slush, creating a need for the best winter tyres.
  • On soft surfaces, such as deep snow, wider tyres are better, as smaller tyre pressure prevents the wheels from getting stuck in the snow.
  • Narrow tyres, on the other hand, are superior on hard surfaces, where the increased pressure results in greater grip.
  • If you often drive on roads covered in hard snow or ice, typically found on infrequently maintained local roads, it's better to fit narrow tyres.
  • If you drive on main roads and city streets, which are typically well maintained, it is better to use standard tyres.
  • As for wide tyres, these only excel in deep snow, which is a surface that the average driver will rarely experience, if at all.
//
You've got the wide tyres in deep snow wrong, personal experience shows that they just dig a hole and spin in one spot--look at Rally cars choice in snow.

T6.1
- Does the 235/60 r17 and/or 235/55 r17 spare fit in the normal carrier underneath?
- Which offsets to get or avoid? Looking to buy 17" steels

I've got a 235/60/17 as a spare on a Davenport rim with no problem. VW 17" steel rims and Alloy ones are the same 7" width and Offset figure.

I did try a VW Amorak Durban 18" rim, 7.5" width, with a 235/55/18 tyre and that fitted with no problem. Sold it a little while ago to someone with 18" wheels. 8" wide rim would be a problem.
Only slight issue is they have a 45 Offset that makes the wheel stick out further. I didn't fit them due to little clearance on front wing edge.

I bought a part worn tyre for the spare, check manufactured date as 10 years old is being given as best practice. 2 or 3 year old would be good but currently a 2017 tyre year would leave another 5 years to use.

Simplest/cheapest option is 17" rim & tyre. Matching the other four Brand/tread is possible if going for Crossclimates. 235/60/17 106V is available in SUV version.

T6.1
- Does the 235/60 r17 and/or 235/55 r17 spare fit in the normal carrier underneath?
Yes to both

These are the standard offset on the Cali Steel wheels.

PXL_20201027_095416458.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys.
The panel in the door, as you all said, does say 215 or 235.
I was just concerned because 235 seemed wide for a J7 but given so many people are running them I'm happy.
As it happens the garage has a nice set of 235s at a black Friday price that also did really well in the Bild tests, so I'm going with them.

Have a great week!

Yes standard Transporter 17" steel is ideal. Cheap ones available on Facebook Marketplace

Can I point out that by putting on 235/60/17 tyres would increase the total wheel diameter by approx 23mm compared to fitting 235/55/17. So larger circumference would affect the speedo reading.

Yes to both

These are the standard offset on the Cali Steel wheels.
Gracias!

Can I point out that by putting on 235/60/17 tyres would increase the total wheel diameter by approx 23mm compared to fitting 235/55/17. So larger circumference would affect the speedo reading.
In practice it results in a more accurate speed indication..
In my Cali with 235/55/17 70mph indicated was 67mph road speed. 235/60/17 with again 70mph indicated 71mph Road speed.

Satnav speed used which was also backed up by roadside speed indicators.

One thing to keep in mind is that snow chains should not be used on 235/55 R17 because there is too little clearance between wheel and struts, is my understanding. People have posted on this forum that they can use König K-summit K45 because those don’t wrap behind the wheel. Expensive though.

One thing to keep in mind is that snow chains should not be used on 235/55 R17 because there is too little clearance between wheel and struts, is my understanding. People have posted on this forum that they can use König K-summit K45 because those don’t wrap behind the wheel. Expensive though.
For vans, the k84 is recommended - I suspect because of the weight of the vehicle.

You are right, if you put your hand behind either of the wheels. There is very little space for even a 6mm snow chain. You may be able to fit one, but very risky. Same both front and rear.

My experience is that using a set of Thule XG-12 pro 240 snow chains on 235/55R17 tyres has been fine. No rubbing and enough clearance. Now called Konig... I do note that the Handbook suggests that snow chains should only be fitted to narrower 215 tyres, but it's worked successfully for us and our ski field access roads can be pretty rough.