Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Wee Campervan Caper

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello All -

At the end of 2019, my spaniel and I headed northward in our little van -- admittedly not a Cali this time -- with no particular destination in mind, and we ended up in some wonderful places! This year has been sufficiently busy for me that I've only just finished editing the footage I recorded on that trip. Admittedly, there is rather a lot of it! But I told myself I had to get it done in 2020, and I succeeded with about 10 mins to spare!

Anyway, I doubt anyone will watch all of it, but I offer it in the hope that someone may get some ideas of places to go, or relive some happy memories. And who knows, you might find you want to binge on the box-set :)

You can find the full set of episodes here:

Just watched the first one Quentin. Nice. Thank you for sharing. Yes, editing is a fairly involved process and takes time. Shame on the ambient noise though, but then again, don't think that takes us away from enjoying the videos. Thank you for taking the time out to put them together.

Queued the others to watch.

Happy new year and new adventures and new videos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just watched the first one Quentin. Nice. Thank you for sharing. Yes, editing is a fairly involved process and takes time. Shame on the ambient noise though, but then again, don't think that takes us away from enjoying the videos. Thank you for taking the time out to put them together.

Queued the others to watch.

Happy new year and new adventures and new videos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks! It was more editing than usual on these, because, having recorded the trip initially on a 360-degree camera, I had to go through all the footage choosing the camera orientation and outputting flat versions of the video, before starting the normal editing process...

:)

Awesome. Love the videos !

Very interesting, so thank you for making them. Watched No1 and will watch the rest over next few days.

HYN to you.

Hello All -

At the end of 2019, my spaniel and I headed northward in our little van -- admittedly not a Cali this time -- with no particular destination in mind, and we ended up in some wonderful places! This year has been sufficiently busy for me that I've only just finished editing the footage I recorded on that trip. Admittedly, there is rather a lot of it! But I told myself I had to get it done in 2020, and I succeeded with about 10 mins to spare!

Anyway, I doubt anyone will watch all of it, but I offer it in the hope that someone may get some ideas of places to go, or relive some happy memories. And who knows, you might find you want to binge on the box-set :)

Love the casual, chatty style, Quentin. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Quentin, in video 1 you had a silver wrap around your pop top canvas. Pleas could you tell me if it was a Pucer or another make?

Quentin, in video 1 you had a silver wrap around your pop top canvas. Pleas could you tell me if it was a Pucer or another make?

Hi Elly -

Yes, that one was from Pucer. My only regret, I think, was that I didn't pay Daren a few more quid to put windows in it to line up with the ones in the canvas. That would probably have made it a bit less efficient, but it would have meant that warmth didn't also imply darkness. :) Otherwise, though, it really made mid-winter trips viable for me.

The windscreen one is from Silver Screens.

All the best,
Quentin

Hi Elly -

Yes, that one was from Pucer. My only regret, I think, was that I didn't pay Daren a few more quid to put windows in it to line up with the ones in the canvas. That would probably have made it a bit less efficient, but it would have meant that warmth didn't also imply darkness. :) Otherwise, though, it really made mid-winter trips viable for me.

The windscreen one is from Silver Screens.

All the best,
Quentin
We have an internal isotop which is really great but have thought about putting something outside the canvas to keep it dry. Have had a Calitopper but find them to be a real pain and also we’re thinking of rooftop solar panels.

Thanks for the info.

Hello All -

Hi Quentin, really enjoyed the videos. Very well presented and gives us more ideas of places we have not visited.

Thank you for all your kind words!

If you want to see what I did in my van the previous Christmas, there's a rather different kind of video here:

Quentin

Thank you for all your kind words!

If you want to see what I did in my van the previous Christmas, there's a rather different kind of video here:

Quentin
Quentin, very very nice. Especially if one has a headset (even a Google cardboard will do) it makes for a very interactive and interesting travelogue (or in full-screen use the arrow controls, but that makes it a bit less interactive).

This may be asking for a bit too much - bit do you plan to publish your other trip in 360 Deg view? :) Makes it really interactive - as you explain, I am intuitively moving my head around to see what you speaking about. ! Very nice indeed. Maybe that is a new style of vlogging that you can adopt as you have a very pleasant way of describing the situation and things. :thumb

This may be asking for a bit too much - bit do you plan to publish your other trip in 360 Deg view? :)

Ah, I fear not - I had to make the decision at some point, and given that it's taken me a year to get around to doing the flat version, I think I'm not likely to do another (unless I can work out a way to make an awful lot of money from it!) Still you never know, perhaps in my retirement. I do have the 180GB of original footage sitting here...

.Maybe that is a new style of vlogging that you can adopt as you have a very pleasant way of describing the situation and things. :thumb

You're very kind. I've done a few other fun quick experiments with it, like this one, and I've published some 360-degree stills on my blog occasionally - here are a couple of shots of Pittenweem, which features in the Scotland video, for example.

It's a really different experience, shooting and publishing spherical footage. You can't assume that the audience will be looking in any particular direction, for example, so you need to go out of your way to get their attention, especially if you want to point something out. And then if you cut to a new scene, they may still be facing in the opposite direction and find themselves staring at a brick wall or something! Still, that's all part of the learning experience. Perhaps I will do some more, especially as I've worked out a reasonable mic to use with it.

Quentin

Hello All -

Hi Quentin, just watched the first one and will definitely come back to the others later. Living in the Lake District and knowing Scotland well, I was really interested to see it through the eyes of a relative newcomer to the area. It gives a whole new perspective to see familiar sights from a 360 lens and from an Englishman abroad! What fun you seem to have had on your first couple of days. I’m really looking forward to the others.

You seem to mention the rain rather frequently! Dont you have much in Cambridgeshire? Up here our weather forecasting seems to go...”if you can’t see the hills, it’s raining; if you can, it’s going to...”!

Hi Quentin, Loved the videos,watched part one and two so far, dont normaly post comments but on this occasion i just thought i had to as they have brought back some lovely memories of the lakes and scotland in our old bilbos nektar, thank you for great work.

You seem to mention the rain rather frequently! Dont you have much in Cambridgeshire? Up here our weather forecasting seems to go...”if you can’t see the hills, it’s raining; if you can, it’s going to...”!

Ah, well, East Anglia is the driest part of the country, because by the time the winds get to us they've dumped all their moisture in the west and north-west :) Cambridge gets about a quarter of the annual rainfall of Ambleside.

But I've been coming to the Lakes since I was a child, and know what to expect, but I'd never been in mid-winter before so wasn't so sure about December. Also, this was only my second visit in a small van, so I was thinking more about rain than I would in a B&B or cottage!

Of course the real question we're all wanting to ask Quentin, is what on earth were you doing on your own at Christmas? !!

Of course the real question we're all wanting to ask Quentin, is what on earth were you doing on your own at Christmas? !!

Ah, well, I explain that a bit at the beginning; my wife's American and either she, or both of us, often go over there to her family for Christmas. But with budget flights at that time of year around £1k each, and the need to find lodgings for the dog too, I don't always join her.

Also, though we've had many a happy long weekend in the van together, I think trips of greater duration are more my thing than hers! Which is why I tend to jump at the chance and spent a couple of Christmases with just me and the dog (even though I do have other family I could visit too!)

Back