Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Word of Warning…..

B

Bearonwheels

Hi,
Last week I was taking my sons away for a week of mountain biking and camping and on our way up the M6 toll we called in at the services at around 1100pm for a toilet stop, a coffee for me and some food for them.

It was with great surprise that on our return to the van a male aged around 30 was attempting to remove a bike from the bike rack. He had one tyre strap undone and was working on the other one when I caught him. Luckily the bike was locked to the rack and he would not have succeeded with out the use of tools.

The large sandwich in his other had suggests this was an opportunist more than anything else. I threatened to call the police but he walked off unconcerned whilst he called his mates (I guess).

Rather than hang around I got my boys back in the van, locked them in, re-secured the bike and then drive off. I did not want to see who turned up first - his mates or the police.

Advice is:-
  • Park in a well lit public area near the front of the services (not in the larger spaces at the back that I used)
  • Always lock the bikes to the rack
  • Leave the van attended inside - a child with a mobile phone and a car horn I suspect is a very effective deterrent!

We only ever leave the van at Motorway services in relays for the loo as consider high risk area for such scum bags. Good advise.