Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike security with tow electrics alarm.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
I have 13 pin tow bar electrics and a tow hitch bike rack. If the bike rack electrics are disconnected when the van is locked the van alarm sounds which is great as it offers some protection to the bike rack but not the bikes. I'm thinking of getting an extension cable for the 13 pin electrics which would allow me to loop it through the bike frames and provide an alarm for the bikes as well as the rack.
Any thoughts?

Having seen the way bikes are cut off I don’t think it would stop them but worth a try

That is a great idea and it is something i would do
if i used one of those racks.

Having seen the way bikes are cut off I don’t think it would stop them but worth a try
Agree, locks and alarms aren't going to stop bolt creepers and angle grinders but anything that deters!

I have 13 pin tow bar electrics and a tow hitch bike rack. If the bike rack electrics are disconnected when the van is locked the van alarm sounds which is great as it offers some protection to the bike rack but not the bikes. I'm thinking of getting an extension cable for the 13 pin electrics which would allow me to loop it through the bike frames and provide an alarm for the bikes as well as the rack.
Any thoughts?
Good thought, But would it work if the Extension cable is cut? I don’t think it will. I think the Alarm sounds when the cable plug is removed because a Micro Switch in the Tow Bar Socket is activated.

I had two bikes stolen (total over £5000 worth) from the locked tow bar mounted rack on the rear of my van a fortnight ago. I was just dropping another bike off and was only going to be 5 min so I didn’t bother putting an additional chain lock on the remaining two bikes as I normally would. As soon as we were out of sight the scumbags were on the job. A neighbour intervened but was pushed out of the way and they kept going, even while being filmed by another neighbour standing about 5m away.

As it turned out the footage was of little use to the police as it did not show sufficient facial detail for identification (both were wearing hoodies). I’m not sure how much deterrence an alarm would have made in that case - it probably would have drawn my attention quicker, but on reviewing the footage I doubt I would have got outside quick enough - it took them about 45 secs to get both locked bikes off the rack. That said I am now investigating installing a dual channel dash cam which has a notification function via phone. It may not alert me quick enough, but at least I will have better footage of the scumbags. Oh, I also now use the my heavy chain lock every time I leave the bikes...

Good thought, But would it work if the Extension cable is cut? I don’t think it will. I think the Alarm sounds when the cable plug is removed because a Micro Switch in the Tow Bar Socket is activated.
A micro switch! Didn't think of that, I'd assumed the alarm was looking for a break in circuit. Time to do some Googling!

For a deterrent you could just put a loop of wire through everything and lead it under the tailgate.

For effect, you could probably adapt a cheap personal alarm so it makes a racket if the circuit is broken.

Use multi core alarm or telephone wire, if it's single core they just connect crocodile clips to it before breaking the circuit.

For a deterrent you could just put a loop of wire through everything and lead it under the tailgate.

For effect, you could probably adapt a cheap personal alarm so it makes a racket if the circuit is broken.

Use multi core alarm or telephone wire, if it's single core they just connect crocodile clips to it before breaking the circuit.
I have a cable alarm, which activates if cut but I don't trust the connector, it's fine as a deterrent with the battery removed.

I had two bikes stolen (total over £5000 worth) from the locked tow bar mounted rack on the rear of my van a fortnight ago. I was just dropping another bike off and was only going to be 5 min so I didn’t bother putting an additional chain lock on the remaining two bikes as I normally would. As soon as we were out of sight the scumbags were on the job. A neighbour intervened but was pushed out of the way and they kept going, even while being filmed by another neighbour standing about 5m away.

As it turned out the footage was of little use to the police as it did not show sufficient facial detail for identification (both were wearing hoodies). I’m not sure how much deterrence an alarm would have made in that case - it probably would have drawn my attention quicker, but on reviewing the footage I doubt I would have got outside quick enough - it took them about 45 secs to get both locked bikes off the rack. That said I am now investigating installing a dual channel dash cam which has a notification function via phone. It may not alert me quick enough, but at least I will have better footage of the scumbags. Oh, I also now use the my heavy chain lock every time I leave the bikes...
There are negligible consequences for the thieves even if they are caught.The IRA used to kneecap "joy riders" in their areas and that did not stop them so a likely suspended sentence is just a joke.
Now our Saudi chums do have a workable solution to the problem but perhaps just a bit extreme?