Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ABS Error - Last Hope

Louis II

Louis II

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all, I have what seems a relatively common issue but struggling to resolve despite lots of searching so this is thread is my last hope before biting the bullet and heading to the garage.

It started with intermittent ABS, Traction Control, Tyre Pressure & Stop Start errors that became permanent
Bought a carista which pointed to rear right ABS Sensor so replaced the sensor after which the problem went away for a week or so then returned
After quite a bit of searching on here and on the T5 Forum I located and inspected connectors behind the rear light cluster for corrosion but they were immaculate.
Also tested voltage at the sensor which reads 11.1v which is 1v lower than I get across the battery terminals. I get the same reading at the connectors behind the rear light cluster so assume the wiring between there & the sensor is OK.

Last time the error came up it was accompanied by something like "low voltage terminal 30", can't remember the exact code but has now gone. As a result I removed, checked & refitted all the fuses in the box next to the battery, all spotless connections & no sign of any damage.

Finally yesterday I did a long drive on the motorway and after about 45 mins driving the faults went away, they then returned when I started up a few hours later to set off home but again cleared after 45mins driving on the motorway.

Does anyone know if this could be caused by the battery reaching end of life? It's the original 6yrs old and about 60k miles used as daily drive mostly for a 15 mile commute in traffic.

Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet and head to the garage would be much appreciated

Hi all, I have what seems a relatively common issue but struggling to resolve despite lots of searching so this is thread is my last hope before biting the bullet and heading to the garage.

It started with intermittent ABS, Traction Control, Tyre Pressure & Stop Start errors that became permanent
Bought a carista which pointed to rear right ABS Sensor so replaced the sensor after which the problem went away for a week or so then returned
After quite a bit of searching on here and on the T5 Forum I located and inspected connectors behind the rear light cluster for corrosion but they were immaculate.
Also tested voltage at the sensor which reads 11.1v which is 1v lower than I get across the battery terminals. I get the same reading at the connectors behind the rear light cluster so assume the wiring between there & the sensor is OK.

Last time the error came up it was accompanied by something like "low voltage terminal 30", can't remember the exact code but has now gone. As a result I removed, checked & refitted all the fuses in the box next to the battery, all spotless connections & no sign of any damage.

Finally yesterday I did a long drive on the motorway and after about 45 mins driving the faults went away, they then returned when I started up a few hours later to set off home but again cleared after 45mins driving on the motorway.

Does anyone know if this could be caused by the battery reaching end of life? It's the original 6yrs old and about 60k miles used as daily drive mostly for a 15 mile commute in traffic.

Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet and head to the garage would be much appreciated
A low voltage on the engine battery is renowned to cause many unusual faults. Interesting it should clear after a run.
Have you tried charging the engine battery with its own charger overnight, at least. Do you get the fault on start up?
I changed my engine battery after 5 yrs. Sluggish start up in winter and mine is a daily driver.

I had exactly the same problems as you and after fitting a new sensor everything was perfect. Have you tried taking out the new sensor and cleaning it ? Also where did you get the sensor ?
Also have you cleared the codes? Don’t get despondent there has to be a simple answer.

It could also be the abs sensor ring on the hub not picking up the sensor signal.

A low voltage on the engine battery is renowned to cause many unusual faults. Interesting it should clear after a run.
Have you tried charging the engine battery with its own charger overnight, at least. Do you get the fault on start up?
I changed my engine battery after 5 yrs. Sluggish start up in winter and mine is a daily driver.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am leaning towards changing the battery before taking to the garage. Before the fault I had noticed that stop start seemed to be disable it’s self more often when driving round town.

I had exactly the same problems as you and after fitting a new sensor everything was perfect. Have you tried taking out the new sensor and cleaning it ? Also where did you get the sensor ?
Also have you cleared the codes? Don’t get despondent there has to be a simple answer.
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m on the second sensor now. 1st from autodoc and second from euro car parts. Both Bosch. The sensors are all nice & clean & I have cleared the codes.
Having taken the van out this morning the faults are back including the supply voltage one (00668 supply voltage terminal 30)

I take it you are using the Carista app? Is it the full version with the free month trial?. Ok try Car scanner app and see what faults that comes up with. Car scanner is a IMO a much better app. I had EXACTLY the same as you ABS, traction control Tyre pressure even though we dont have a tyre pressure monitor on the vehicle. Stop start error. And the supply voltage terminal 30 (whatever that is).
Now everything ok INCLUDING stop/start which hasn’t worked for ages..Just be persistent..Don’t give up..It has to be something simple..

OK thanks everyone for their advice. I was on the 1 month free trial with Carista so tried the car scanner app and it does seem more comprehensive but more importantly made me relook at the codes again and realise that the fault had switched from rear right to rear left so have replaced the rear left and all seems well….
At least for now! Front ones next?

OK thanks everyone for their advice. I was on the 1 month free trial with Carista so tried the car scanner app and it does seem more comprehensive but more importantly made me relook at the codes again and realise that the fault had switched from rear right to rear left so have replaced the rear left and all seems well….
At least for now! Front ones next?
Just goes to show never never never give up. And it’s always the simple things that are at fault.

Don’t forget the Earth terminals, there is an earth point behind the rear light cluster and also check the battery Earth terminal earthing points in the E box below the battery and also while you’re at it the Earth strap from the engine to the chassis at the cam belt end.

A lot of the problems that occur with T5 and T6 Transporters are mainly but not exclusively Work vehicles. Vehicles that have the side and rear doors opened an closed a thousand times a day. Also are loaded to the gunnels with bricks and cement. Do 50,000 miles a year in the worst weather imaginable. In those vehicles wet and muck ends up in places you wouldn’t dream of. Just look under the bonnet of one of those vehicles and compare with a California. I always say start with the simplest things first before you decide to change the engine.

I take it you are using the Carista app? Is it the full version with the free month trial?. Ok try Car scanner app and see what faults that comes up with. Car scanner is a IMO a much better app. I had EXACTLY the same as you ABS, traction control Tyre pressure even though we dont have a tyre pressure monitor on the vehicle. Stop start error. And the supply voltage terminal 30 (whatever that is).
Now everything ok INCLUDING stop/start which hasn’t worked for ages..Just be persistent..Don’t give up..It has to be something simple..

Hi Pete - I seem to be experiencing exactly the same problem:

How do you identify which ABS sensor would be causing the problem? My Car Sanner output just generically says:
Raw code: 00201C
ECU: 03. ABS control unit

What did you end up doing to fix your problem?

I’ve just cleared an ABS warning on my Golf. Turned out to be a faulty MAF. Usually quite an obvious fault due to lack of grunt but it could be on its way out. Fairly cheap and easy to swap out.

Hi Pete - I seem to be experiencing exactly the same problem:

How do you identify which ABS sensor would be causing the problem? My Car Sanner output just generically says:
Raw code: 00201C
ECU: 03. ABS control unit

What did you end up doing to fix your problem?
Mine actually said faulty abs rear n/s sensor, I changed that and everything back to normal. It may well have been just a dirty sensor but it was only £19 for a new one so fitted it anyway.

Back