Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiple error messages

What the hell is going on. I’ve now replaced 3 out of the 4 ABS wheel sensors on my van. It’s no big deal as it a simple job to do but you would think that they would last a bit longer.
The latest one I replaced this morning was a bit of a pig and needed a soaking in WD40 to get it to release And it was very dirty with a lot of rusty crud from the hub. I imagine that with a good clean they probably would come back to life, but for just £10 for 2 on eBay you may just as well just replace them anyway.

Interested to know if it just a case of removing, fitting the replacement and all is well or do you need to reprogram something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi my left rear needs replacing, do you remove the wheel or can you get to it ok with the wheel on? Cheers
I did remove my wheel to replace the left rear. It possibly could be done without removing wheel.. awkward….

with van jacked up would make it easier. But make sure it’s safe.

Interested to know if it just a case of removing, fitting the replacement and all is well or do you need to reprogram something ?

Just replace and clear the fault code.
the fault code may go out itself if no obd box. I’m not sure on that as I cleared my fault after replace.

I know these are simple replacement items but do you go cheap or quality is there so much difference apart from price?
If you call quality the vw replacement circa £90+ which looks sh*te or go for quality like me and spend a whole £10.
I looked on eBay and other sites and found prices as low as 4 for £16. I discovered one at a tenner. It had a solid brass ferrule and looked decent encapsulation.

at end of day it is just a Hall effect switch. A fine winding around a ferrite former encapsulated in plastic. No moving parts, high currents etc.

so the more expensive is to help pay for the fat cat’s private jet.

Not that I hold any sort of grudge….

I did remove my wheel to replace the left rear. It possibly could be done without removing wheel.. awkward….

with van jacked up would make it easier. But make sure it’s safe.
Thanks for your advice

Just replace and clear the fault code.
the fault code may go out itself if no obd box. I’m not sure on that as I cleared my fault after replace.

Thanks much appreciated

Thanks much appreciated

The last one was on the front left as indicated by my Carista. The thing was just like the other 2 the faults are intermittent and Did clear the codes just before I fitted the new sensor.
This time I bought 2 off EBay for around £10 . They are the Same ATE brand as the originals with VW logo and 22 date stamp. Says Made in Belgium which the originals don’t say.
mind you there’s nothing to say they are not copies but then who cares £5 each against £90 from VW. Oh yes and they work.

Thanks I’m thinking it may return - if / when I’ll get a local garage to fit as I’ve no idea :)

And it did,
My options are - find a garage and pay.
But it’s still under extended warranty, but as my local V’Dub garage has a shortage of technicians, means I can’t even book “her” in for an inspection let alone get the work corrected for minimum of three weeks…….
OR
Call the AA again…..
First option seamed the easiest and more manageable solution, but I’m like why should I part with ££
So 8:30 on Monday I call the AA
Have to say they were brilliant!! Arrived within the hour, diagnostics done, but errors not cleared. He’s like we’re off to the garage. I’ll follow you,
We arrive and he tells the guy on front desk that he’s checked it, it’s the second assist call, it’s a “warranty repair” service desk guys like we will need to run diagnostics. AA man, no need here look. Oh I’ve left the error messages for you so you you lot can’t weasel out !!
Car booked in, repair agreed by VW Assist insurance and she’s back home within the 48 hour window as apparently is the goal.

Me I’m so pleased, but there is a part of me which is like - why, it’s still crap.

Why would the garage not see me first time, it’s a quick win. Having to bother the AA when clearly I wasn’t in distress / danger when someone was in greater need. But the AA guy was adamant it was the best route to take, it’s common place apparently.

So any of you out there who need to fast track with VW Assist warranty- make the call.

Final update: yes was wheel sensor changed under warrantee. have ordered a set of cheap ones of ebay if happens again as 4 week wait to get fixed and half day wasted at dealer is not worth this simple fix!

Final update: yes was wheel sensor changed under warrantee. have ordered a set of cheap ones of ebay if happens again as 4 week wait to get fixed and half day wasted at dealer is not worth this simple fix!

Betty if your under warranty call VW Recovery, that’s what my dealership told me to do and it was fixed in two days. They have to see you and try to fix within 48 hours.

Back