Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ACC issue(s)

P

Pkdotm75

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Sorry if already discussed, but I'm struggling to comprehend exactly what ACC is meant to do!!

I've always had CC on all my cars and love it, however ACC seems to cause a few issues which I'm not familiar with nor happy with!!

I've recently driven down through the UK, France and now Spain and used the ACC quite a bit as you can imagine. I understand what it's meant to do ie spot a vehicle in your lane and reduce speed accordingly until the gap widens and accelerates back to the set speed, however, even fully de-sensitised, it appears to see vehicles in other lanes and slows at quite a rate.
1. I was overtaking a vehicle on a left hand bend in Spain and it saw the vehicle on the inside lane so slowed down - in this instance it slowed me from 120km/h to 100km/h in seconds!!??
2. If I approach a vehicle in my lane, indicate to overtake, it sees it as I pull out and slows down until I'm fully in the outside lane - far from ideal when trying to overtake??

Is this normal or am I missing something

Sorry if already discussed, but I'm struggling to comprehend exactly what ACC is meant to do!!

I've always had CC on all my cars and love it, however ACC seems to cause a few issues which I'm not familiar with nor happy with!!

I've recently driven down through the UK, France and now Spain and used the ACC quite a bit as you can imagine. I understand what it's meant to do ie spot a vehicle in your lane and reduce speed accordingly until the gap widens and accelerates back to the set speed, however, even fully de-sensitised, it appears to see vehicles in other lanes and slows at quite a rate.
1. I was overtaking a vehicle on a left hand bend in Spain and it saw the vehicle on the inside lane so slowed down - in this instance it slowed me from 120km/h to 100km/h in seconds!!??
2. If I approach a vehicle in my lane, indicate to overtake, it sees it as I pull out and slows down until I'm fully in the outside lane - far from ideal when trying to overtake??

Is this normal or am I missing something
Normalish.

We find when we first hit France it gets a little confused on the undertaking setting and use the "wrong" side.

It usually rights itself after 20 minutes.

The easiest answer is to switch off the side protection (not actual name) and leave on the ACC.

ACC and the Side protection not the same thing.

Right hand drive vehicle in a left hand drive country is a spectacle to behold!

Normalish.

We find when we first hit France it gets a little confused on the undertaking setting and use the "wrong" side.

It usually rights itself after 20 minutes.

The easiest answer is to switch off the side protection (not actual name) and leave on the ACC.
Cheers for that. I tried to disable the forward protection but it won't allow me. Maybe the side will help!!

PS I've driven the entire way over 4 days and it's still doing the same, so don't think it's due to european driving

Cheers for that. I tried to disable the forward protection but it won't allow me. Maybe the side will help!!

PS I've driven the entire way over 4 days and it's still doing the same, so don't think it's due to european driving
Forward protection, AFAIK, is just the emergency stop. It's side you need to switch off. Will also, from memory, disable the protection in case you try and pull out and something is in your blind spot.

One of the reasons why I don't want ACC.
Yes, it can take some stress off you when driving in heavy traffic, so it slows down and speeds back up according to the one in front of you.
But I have driven a few times in cars with ACC, and it just doesn't feel natural driving for me.
I can see the whole picture, and when a car is out of my lane, but sticks out a little, the ACC will try to emergency brake, because it still "sees" that car. I can see that I can pass by turning a little bit to the left or right.
The same with an off ramp on a motorway. I slow down when going off the motorway, the ACC doesn't. This means you still have to disable the ACC, otherwise it will keep you going the motorway speeds on the off ramp.
The new ACC doesn't even let you pass a car on the right (Belgium), because you may not "undertake" a car. Too bad, some undertakings are on motorways who split up in 2x2 lanes, 2 to the left, 2 to the right. So, if a lorry drives on the 3rd lane (the right lane to the left), the ACC won't let me drive 120 on the 2nd lane to the right. It will slow me down to the speed of the lorry on the lane to the left.

So, to answer your question: that irritating behaviour is normal for ACC.

Mercedes assisted driving is much better than that and far more intuitive, especially when paired with route guidance and dynamic speed control, VW doesn't have this yet I guess

Yes, it can take some stress off you when driving in heavy traffic, so it slows down and speeds back up according to the one in front of you.
But I have driven a few times in cars with ACC, and it just doesn't feel natural driving for me.
I can see the whole picture, and when a car is out of my lane, but sticks out a little, the ACC will try to emergency brake, because it still "sees" that car. I can see that I can pass by turning a little bit to the left or right.
The same with an off ramp on a motorway. I slow down when going off the motorway, the ACC doesn't. This means you still have to disable the ACC, otherwise it will keep you going the motorway speeds on the off ramp.
The new ACC doesn't even let you pass a car on the right (Belgium), because you may not "undertake" a car. Too bad, some undertakings are on motorways who split up in 2x2 lanes, 2 to the left, 2 to the right. So, if a lorry drives on the 3rd lane (the right lane to the left), the ACC won't let me drive 120 on the 2nd lane to the right. It will slow me down to the speed of the lorry on the lane to the left.

Never had any of these issues. ACC is a godsend and great for long drives and I’m in full control at all times. When I need to off ramp or do something that the system does not allow, I just tap the brake and take over. Sometimes I feel those that complain about assist systems are one step away from removing their power steering, ABS, servo assisted brakes and sat navs because they are new fangled tech and there is a yearning for the old ways. If I need a workout and pure driving experience I’ll get my Series 2 out. Nothing new fangled on that at all.

Hard agree with @dspuk

I love my ACC and use it nearly ALL of the time. I set it to the speed limit and enjoy almost stress free driving.

The side protection thing is real and a bit of a pain in the neck. I didn’t realise there was an option to disable that feature so thank you

When overtaking on motorways I do tend to take control by pressing lightly on the accelerator.

Mirrors my experience, it’s not a great system, I wish there was the option to change it to normal CC so I could decide the best circumstances to use either

Never had any of these issues. ACC is a godsend and great for long drives and I’m in full control at all times. When I need to off ramp or do something that the system does not allow, I just tap the brake and take over. Sometimes I feel those that complain about assist systems are one step away from removing their power steering, ABS, servo assisted brakes and sat navs because they are new fangled tech and there is a yearning for the old ways. If I need a workout and pure driving experience I’ll get my Series 2 out. Nothing new fangled on that at all.
Yes and no.
Power steering doesn't take over control of the vehicle. It assists on turning.
ABS hasn't done much for me in the past 14 years (on this vehicle), so I don't bother with it.
Sat nav is just a tool that I can use if I want.
Airbags are still in their pockets. I have never used them (on any of my cars).
ACC takes over control, but doesn't respond to traffic as I do. And I don't have the option to disable the A and just use the CC.
I use CC on mostly over 80% of every drive with the van. And it does what I would do: keeping the speed as constant as possible.
As I said, it can take away some stress on heavier traffic conditions, so in that way it's a wonderful tool.
I just don't drive too much in heavy traffic, so I don't feel the need to have it.

It's each for their own, so I won't say it's a rubbish tool. I just don't like how it drives (up to now).
It would be more useful for me if I could choose between ACC and CC, depending on the situation.

The moment I really think I can't drive without all those driving aids (side assist, lane assist, emergency braking, ...), I just hand in my driver's license and take the train or the bus.
That is just my vision about it.

Yes and no.
ABS hasn't done much for me in the past 14 years (on this vehicle), so I don't bother with it.
ACC takes over control, but doesn't respond to traffic as I do. And I don't have the option to disable the A and just use the CC.
I use CC on mostly over 80% of every drive with the van. And it does what I would do: keeping the speed as constant as possible.
As I said, it can take away some stress on heavier traffic conditions, so in that way it's a wonderful tool.
I just don't drive too much in heavy traffic, so I don't feel the need to have it.

It's each for their own, so I won't say it's a rubbish tool. I just don't like how it drives (up to now).
It would be more useful for me if I could choose between ACC and CC, depending on the situation.

The moment I really think I can't drive without all those driving aids (side assist, lane assist, emergency braking, ...), I just hand in my driver's license and take the train or the bus.
The greatest thing about ACC is it's ability to maintain a set speed up hill and down dale.
It is also able to operate happily at 20 mph which will be so useful in the months to come.

Yes and no.

This is actually the best approach to driving.

Assistants all leave you with less to think about on the road, thinking less causes accidents.

That said I still love my ACC. I do notice that in a regular car, no CC, I do have to give myself a bit of a wake up also though.

This is actually the best approach to driving.

Assistants all leave you with less to think about on the road, thinking less causes accidents.

That said I still love my ACC. I do notice that in a regular car, no CC, I do have to give myself a bit of a wake up also though.
Statistically ADAS causes the opposite.

Nothing can compensate fully though for a sh1t driver.

It’s a bit like driverless vehicle fear vs people using “the trolley problem” as an argument. The reality is when driverless does come in, more likely to be on controlled motorway zones, there will be less crashes and accidents.

Some people like to “be in control”. Doesn’t, unfortunately, make driving safer.

The greatest thing about ACC is it's ability to maintain a set speed up hill and down dale.
It is also able to operate happily at 20 mph which will be so useful in the months to come.
Well, my normal CC keeps the speed up and downhill too. Just uphill, as it's a manual, if the slope is 6% or more, the engine is too weak to keep the speed, ACC or CC. Then I just have to let it crawl up, or come down some gears.
Downhill, ACC wouldn't keep the speed the same, as it's a manual. So for me, I have no extra use in ACC.
And my normal CC works from 30km/h. So roughly the same speed.

Statistically ADAS causes the opposite.

Nothing can compensate fully though for a sh1t driver.

It’s a bit like driverless vehicle fear vs people using “the trolley problem” as an argument. The reality is when driverless does come in, more likely to be on controlled motorway zones, there will be less crashes and accidents.

Some people like to “be in control”. Doesn’t, unfortunately, make driving safer.
But when you are used to all those ADAS systems, and you come in a situation where you have to act yourself, there is a big chance you are not ready.
Where I, without all those ADAS systems, am always (or at least should be) aware of the situation, and should be able to react accordingly.

But when you are used to all those ADAS systems, and you come in a situation where you have to act yourself, there is a big chance you are not ready.
Where I, without all those ADAS systems, am always (or at least should be) aware of the situation, and should be able to react accordingly.
Respectfully, twaddle.

Well, my normal CC keeps the speed up and downhill too. Just uphill, as it's a manual, if the slope is 6% or more, the engine is too weak to keep the speed, ACC or CC. Then I just have to let it crawl up, or come down some gears.
Downhill, ACC wouldn't keep the speed the same, as it's a manual. So for me, I have no extra use in ACC.
And my normal CC works from 30km/h. So roughly the same speed.
Indeed, DSG makes the system the wonder it is, I am surprised ordinary CC can maintain the set speed down hills, does yours have a braking function?.

Indeed, DSG makes the system the wonder it is, I am surprised ordinary CC can maintain the set speed down hills, does yours have a braking function?.
I might not have been totally clear on that matter. As soon as the hill is steep enough downhill, there is no way my van will slow down on it's own, ACC, CC or nothing.
I made it kind of an inside joke. My van doesn't have engine braking, I didn't choose that option from the list.
The van is way too heavy, and the internal friction of the engine and gearbox is too low, so it won't brake on the engine downhill. The only way to slow the van down is to firmly push the brake pedal.
And yet, I am still on the front factory brake pads (almost 15 years later, and shy of 200000km).

ACC can only work at it's fullest (?) with an automatic gear box.
Maybe that is also a reason why I don't really want ACC?

On the contrary, the ADAS system is always on the lookout that I can then focus on other developing situations on the way making me a more safer driver and helping me react to situations faster. As others have said, ADAS cannot compensate for a shi**y driver, but it reduces the chances of shi**y drivers causing more chaos on the roads and helps make safer drivers more safe.

ACC on my T6.1 keeps the same speed downhill - as did the CC on my 2009 Audi A4. Both systems use the throttle and brakes to manage speed. In the A4, without the Adaptive feature, I could get the system to brake hard by rapidly dialling down my set speed. I think all VAG CC and ACC, from the last 15 years at least, would be controlling brakes as well as throttle.

I love ACC, and use it for almost all motorway driving and even some single carriageway.. but it has personality. I find that, just as you have to constantly anticipate the road and other road users’ actions, you have to anticipate the ACC’s reactions. It’s part of driving for me.

As a side note, our Tiguan has subtly different ACC behaviour / personality from the Cali. The Tiguan’s seems more mature, e.g. less liable to sudden braking, or accelerating into traffic.

I just wish my mercedes could know the difference between the red traffic light and the green traffic light, then I could have a really good snooze! Instead it stops for the red light, displays the traffic lights on the screen (so I don't have to strain to see them), then waits for me to decide when to go, then it takes over....and I just hold the steering wheel (lightly) so I don't interfere with its steering assistance...but legally I am in control! It is LOVELY.....especially when combined with the massage and heat function of the seats!

Compared to some other cars I have tried, the California ACC is utter horse sh*t (and I have it with DSG and front assist but no line or side assist). Unpredictable braking when it does not need to (i.e. when a car on your inside pulls off onto a sliproad and slows down rapidly), no way to downgrade to normal CC when the front sensor gets covered in snow (this infuriates me, surely it is just firmware) and the worst one...when in slow traffic, it works great up until the point where the car stops. After about 2 seconds the car beeps and tells you to put your foot on the brake but instead of staying stopped (as you would think would be logical) it almost instantly starts moving forward towards the very close car in front!! I don't want to risk letting it go to see if it will eventually stop on its own.

when a car on your inside pulls off onto a sliproad and slows down rapidly
The system has no way to view lane markings and no way to tell if you are planning to take the same slip road.

What system was able to do this? Tesla?

Back