Additional Engine Heater (9M5)

• Thread starter jonclareVWGrand
  • Start date
J

jonclareVWGrand

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I know others have been confused with the additional heater options that come with the diesel heating.

From a google search I found a van converters manual, and think I now understand what each heater option is (or at least think I can explain it to myself) so this may help others too.

The manual is here. https://bb-database.com/jctumbau/do...2017.pdf/8affbc51-3dd9-4ece-9192-faee81c2ff1d

I think the two options (7VL and 9M5) are both 5kW driving cabin heaters that are diesel powered. They heat the coolant water before the engine heats up, so that the blowers start pumping out heat much faster from a cold start.

The more expensive one has the remote and control panel, so i guess the cheaper one just comes on when you start the engine and it is cold.

I can’t see much logic as to why you are forced to take one or the other with the diesel combi boiler.

In my prior diesel Audi I seem to remember an extra heater to heat up the car quicker as the diesel engine takes longer to heat from cold. My replacement petrol Audi (same model) heats up much quicker than the diesel one did.

Screenshots of the relevant pages are attached. Hope this helps others.

Jon

9485DC57-0DB4-4E57-8F5F-D7A8ABF7C4C4.png

5A354CDB-C934-4DF0-A7FD-11A883CC6BCC.png

AD7F8790-75BB-4FD0-85C0-19E9E23162FE.png

Thankyou to provide owners this excellent and great help detail information.

I am have vw option such remote command heater.
If is help I tell how is operation.

Is Vw gives to owner extra 1 key to give operation instruction this heater. Key is radio operations frequency - for certain you can make operation command 1/2 kilometer distance to camper. For sure if you are walk 1/2 km to camper, when is you arrive and entering, good warm air is ready inside make you comfortable atmosphere and you will most enjoy such condition time winter and cold weather.

This heater offer to you can make 3 time command program on smartphone - must choosing " Departure times " selecting and then you enter time you are wishing command heater to begin operation.
Is covenient function for people that is ahead time knows time arrive and enter to the camper.

Smartphone instant operation command can be you choose heat and or can choose Ventilation only - make camper outside fresh air not heatings make cooler more inside from sunshine day parking.

Ventilation air and hot air this heater provide air to dashboard slots and little also front window slots - makes condensate vanish all glass.

Is nice function winter time can home stay inside, remote command to heat and 15 minute after command give you are enter warm camper and is clean windows not frost snow and condensate.

Is cost heater eu 1,100 +/- and give many operation method. To some peoples is excellent convenience having. I am enjoy to have this appliance.

Hi,
For us living in Scandinavia this heater "webasto" is a must. In - 20 C winter conditions you can not have a better solution. You feel nice when entering into the car, windows clean etc. It is also very healthy for engine , too. Not to start an ice-cold engine.

...to help everyone have a good laugh :)

I have had the above excellently reviewed heater in my last three California Oceans. When have i got the new keys for each new van, i have placed the heater remotes into a box, never to be touched again until i sell the van and purchase a newer model...i like to keep things simple, and disregard the remotes as some weird techy rubbish.

I am now researching the optional heating available when you choose the diesel heater on a grand california, only now do i see how much i have been missing out!

I'll read the instruction manual next time :)