Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional Quick Space - To avoid Selling

California_Clarky

California_Clarky

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I have previously written on here about having to sell my beloved Cali but we have decided to give it one more go , we are in our first season with the cali and I absolutely love it I don't mind having to do things a bit differently but my other half finds the small space difficult at times and with the door open it can be a bit cold there is also having to move constantly so I can get stuff out of cupboards, we are in the process of relocating and decluttering any duplicate or unused items

The question I would like to ask if has anyone got any suggestion how additional space can be added relatively quickly we have tried an airbeam awning but that probably bigger than we need and does take a bit time to up up and take down I am looking for something that we can pop up quick and can extend the space.

TIA

How much extra space do you need? Perhaps one of those kids sized or two man festival pop up tents, or even a pop up shower/toilet tent would give you the extra space needed. Much quicker to put up/take down than an awning.

I use one of these - see The thread

I use one of these - see The thread

Thank you that looks ideal thanks for the reply

Currently on sale with an additional 15% off

IMG_0953.jpeg

Currently on sale with an additional 15% off

View attachment 124821
Have you consider an awning room. They are much easier to put up than an air beam awning and cuts down the draft significantly so that you can leave the door open most of the time. Only just bought mine second hand on this forum but I really liked it on first use. Only limitations are:
Slight gap next to door so can rain in if the rain is blowing the wrong way (can buy an additional panel but I won’t bother)
No mesh windows so I had to drop one side to let in more air on a warm day (very easy to do)
Can’t drive away (but I find that a faff when using my hexaway)

Limitations outweighed by being able to double living space very quickly and easily. I had a two seater chair and all my cooking stuff in the awning room so could use the inside for the dining table and changing. It worked well for me.

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4514.jpeg

Have you consider an awning room. They are much easier to put up than an air beam awning and cuts down the draft significantly so that you can leave the door open most of the time. Only just bought mine second hand on this forum but I really liked it on first use. Only limitations are:
Slight gap next to door so can rain in if the rain is blowing the wrong way (can buy an additional panel but I won’t bother)
No mesh windows so I had to drop one side to let in more air on a warm day (very easy to do)

Limitations outweighed by being able to double living space very quickly and easily. I had a two seater chair and all my cooking stuff in the awning room so could use the inside for the dining table and changing. It worked well for me.

View attachment 124823

View attachment 124824
I do have the front and side panels but there are gaps on the corners - I will take a look at those thank you

BTW nice colour van - Same as ming Fontana Red...

The awning room is probably an option for external space. You can improve the rubbish internal storage a little by adding shelves to the wardrobe and above the kitchen, but inevitably they're not cheap. We find the rear pull-out drawer option makes better use of the boot space & allows you to get items out without pulling the whole contents out.

Or just trade up for a conversion based on an LWB T6. The extra space can make a big difference when the bed is down.

Tow bar mounted Mft back box would give you a lot more storage space on the current van. You can still open the boot and use the bike rack as it tilts.

Awning / shelters, although good, all take up space and time.

Although sounds like it might be time for a van with a different layout, that allows you to walk through and avoid the bedtime shuffle.

I do have the front and side panels but there are gaps on the corners - I will take a look at those thank you

BTW nice colour van - Same as ming Fontana Red...
I think if you could set up your kitchen outside including all the pots pans and plates then during the day you would have minimal internal disturbance/limbo….I have found that it does take some practice to know all the stuff you need from the fridge, kitchen cupboards and draws in one go before you start cooking. I think I might invest in a small outside camping cupboard and shift all the essentials outside at the start of my camping trip. I have found I haven’t used the internal stove on my last few camping trips at all. I hope you find a way for it to work for you both.

View attachment 124823

View attachment 124824
Awning room not for me thanks what phaff setting it up so you can’t move the van.
I’ve got a DA awning which is used if really inclement weather planned and staying on site.
The Hub (edit; Shelter) works great for additional living area , light and airy, easy to pitch quick and small pack size. (Very cheap to purchase)

Last edited:
Awning room not for me thanks what phaff setting it up so you can’t move the van.
I’ve got a DA awning which is used if really inclement weather planned and staying on site.
The Hub works great for additional living area , light and airy, easy to pitch quick and small pack size. (Very cheap to purchase)
Yes the air beam awning is great but it’s taking it down when wet - sorry I don’t know what the hub is

Yes the air beam awning is great but it’s taking it down when wet - sorry I don’t know what the hub is
The hub is what I call the shelter in the thread link above “Eurohike dome shelter” we use it as a social hub , a bit like the kitchen at home

We have a Cinch hub, which I take if the weather is likely to be anything other than hot, and sunny.

It takes a minute to pop up, and a couple of minutes to pack up (after a practice). With a couple more minutes for the pegs.

If hot and sunny, then instead, I take the sides and front for the awning, which give us shade and ventilation.

We also have a 3 room Joolca pop up shower/toilet tent, which gives us a toilet cubicle, a shower cubicle, and a changing/drying area. Again takes a minute to pop up and pack up, plus a couple of minutes for the pegs. We use this on CL sites. we also have a Joolca gas boiler to give us a shower & hot water on demand.

You're not far away, so you're welcome to come and have a look.

We have a Cinch hub, which I take if the weather is likely to be anything other than hot, and sunny.

It takes a minute to pop up, and a couple of minutes to pack up (after a practice). With a couple more minutes for the pegs.

If hot and sunny, then instead, I take the sides and front for the awning, which give us shade and ventilation.

We also have a 3 room Joolca pop up shower/toilet tent, which gives us a toilet cubicle, a shower cubicle, and a changing/drying area. Again takes a minute to pop up and pack up, plus a couple of minutes for the pegs. We use this on CL sites. we also have a Joolca gas boiler to give us a shower & hot water on demand.

You're not far away, so you're welcome to come and have a look.
Both look really good but just a bit more that my current budget

Your original post is you’re looking for ways to assist and prevent an inevitable sale of your Cali, despite liking it !

you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do within your budget and comfort zone .

Back