Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional Quick Space - To avoid Selling

Just seen on their web site they state: Waterproof rating | 3000 HH.

Now that my OH has seen the ‘rolling stone’ colour, that will apparently tone better with the Ascot Grey van…..!
Agree, we went for Rolling stone with Ascot Grey van.

Our Cinch has been fully waterproof in very heavy storms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have previously written on here about having to sell my beloved Cali but we have decided to give it one more go , we are in our first season with the cali and I absolutely love it I don't mind having to do things a bit differently but my other half finds the small space difficult at times and with the door open it can be a bit cold there is also having to move constantly so I can get stuff out of cupboards, we are in the process of relocating and decluttering any duplicate or unused items

The question I would like to ask if has anyone got any suggestion how additional space can be added relatively quickly we have tried an airbeam awning but that probably bigger than we need and does take a bit time to up up and take down I am looking for something that we can pop up quick and can extend the space.

TIA
Comfortz awning room is perfect only downside is not be able to drive away from it. We have an air beam awning for longer trips and this for short ones.
As for the gap to the van they also do Velcro fillers which with a bit of ingenuity stop all leaks.

David

IMG_2971.jpeg

IMG_2967.jpeg

We have a Cinch hub, which I take if the weather is likely to be anything other than hot, and sunny.

It takes a minute to pop up, and a couple of minutes to pack up (after a practice). With a couple more minutes for the pegs.

If hot and sunny, then instead, I take the sides and front for the awning, which give us shade and ventilation.

We also have a 3 room Joolca pop up shower/toilet tent, which gives us a toilet cubicle, a shower cubicle, and a changing/drying area. Again takes a minute to pop up and pack up, plus a couple of minutes for the pegs. We use this on CL sites. we also have a Joolca gas boiler to give us a shower & hot water on demand.

You're not far away, so you're welcome to come and have a look.
You mention front and side panels. I just posted an inquiry about those. Any recommendations ?

Brandrup side panels + Thule sunblock across the front.

Agree, we went for Rolling stone with Ascot Grey van.
Ours is too, makes it much lighter inside than the other colour schemes. SWMBO terms it our safari tent - not sure if it’s the correct title. When we got our ‘Van I signed up for items for sale and got one nearly new if used at all. It packs down really nicely. There are additional holes to tie it well which minimises drafts and flapping.

To minimise drafts there’s a magnetic skirt available to keep your OH warmer if there’s a nippy wind. SWMBO hadn’t really got the layering principle for indoor/outdoor life, one to encourage possibly. There are full length fleece smocks available for virtually nowt, although apparently I look like a teletubby. I’ve been called worse.

As for storing excess, IKEA do an amazing hanging set of fabric shelves that work really well from the wind out awning arm in the “safari tent”. It folds down to nothing

We've got a briefcase sized folding cupboard which is amazing. Campart travel camping cupboard. Not cheap I’ll grant, but these two items have stood the test of time as the best organisational solutions for living in a small space. A couple of wooden chocks may be worth your making for levelling up on uneven ground.

Hope this helps someone who’s struggling with clutter.

I heard the KIS(s) principal on this forum a lot in my early days of reading... Keep It Simple (stupid)

We've bought the Comfortz front and side panels that we've used once and a Cayman Combo Air PC driveaway awning that we've used once, and we've also bought the comfortz awning room and the Colapz shower/toilet tent that we used last weekend.

Going forward, out of those we'll probably use either the Comfortz sides and front panel or the awning room depending on the weather but always with the Colapz shower tent as it takes no time putting up. I can't see the driveway awning being used much at all to be honest.

This was last weekend. I used a couple of king poles to lift the front up but don't think I did it right.:embarrased

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

We have a Cinch hub, which I take if the weather is likely to be anything other than hot, and sunny.

It takes a minute to pop up, and a couple of minutes to pack up (after a practice). With a couple more minutes for the pegs.

If hot and sunny, then instead, I take the sides and front for the awning, which give us shade and ventilation.

We also have a 3 room Joolca pop up shower/toilet tent, which gives us a toilet cubicle, a shower cubicle, and a changing/drying area. Again takes a minute to pop up and pack up, plus a couple of minutes for the pegs. We use this on CL sites. we also have a Joolca gas boiler to give us a shower & hot water on demand.

You're not far away, so you're welcome to come and have a look.
How do you find the Joolca?

We've bought the Comfortz front and side panels that we've used once and a Cayman Combo Air PC driveaway awning that we've used once, and we've also bought the comfortz awning room and the Colapz shower/toilet tent that we used last weekend.

Going forward, out of those we'll probably use either the Comfortz sides and front panel or the awning room depending on the weather but always with the Colapz shower tent as it takes no time putting up. I can't see the driveway awning being used much at all to be honest.

This was last weekend. I used a couple of king poles to lift the front up but don't think I did it right.:embarrased

View attachment 125316

View attachment 125317
Where is this site?

Definitely like the Collapsz tent. Sturdy & quick to put up.

Borrowed an O/R Cayman driveway to try. Didn’t get on with it. Bit of a faff to line up the van, attach panels to van etc. Plus it removes views and makes the interior of van darker when attached.

Currently use a cheap pop up privacy tent to chuck anything waterproof in on arrival. Tiny & light to pack. Can be a pain to put away when you forget the knack.

I bought an Arepnaz standalone shelter. Find it achieves same as a driveway for less money and less effort. Plus they don’t take away the view and light from the van interior.

This is a bit of a different suggestion but just camp somewhere hotter. There’s an awful lot of space outside the van! Bear with me.

Some people here camp a lot in the UK. Our Cali is predominantly for 2 1/2 weeks in the summer in France or Spain. There we live almost completely outside the van. We cook outside, eat outside. We basically only use the van itself for driving and sleeping. These are fantastic holidays. Campsites in France and Spain are brilliant. We use the Cool Camping France book. We have had our van since 2009.

1719523233282.jpeg

I know that might seem a barmy suggestion but it really works for us.

We are all different but during Covid I didn’t want my second jab as had a reaction to my first. That meant we had our summer holiday in Dorset. I hated it. My abiding memory is every time I stood up, my chair blew over. It was just so cold. Got my 2nd jab as soon as we got back.

Yes, I would like to do that Scottish 500 thing, but I bet I never will.

I have come to the conclusion that a couple of things split how people use their vans on this forum. One is young families and retirees (or near retirement) and the other is camping in the UK and abroad. Obviously there are overlaps in those Venn diagrams! We do a lot of weekends in the UK almost always with friends but mainly we camp abroad where it’s hot and rains less!

1719523496325.jpeg

You don’t need an awning, just some comfy chairs and warm evenings.

Edit: and you live in Southampton!? Halfway there! and I bet your other half will see my point of view. 15 years experience….

Last edited:
Back