Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional shelves... next to the Kitchen

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I just wanted more accessible storage. In winter or with rain I want to access stuff without having to go outside in the element, ...like big-white-MH people do :D.
I've added these two shelves between the kitchen and the left front seat. They fit perfectly. The 230v inverter socket remains accessible.
Inner dimensions drawer 31 x 12.7 x 15 cm (L x W x H) each. Love them.
Despite my concerns they don't open enroute, despite me driving almost Lambo style. You may have seen my recent pictures where i climbed to many passes in Italy, many hairpins, they stayed put and shut. Worst case I can turn them the other way round with the drawer facing the left wall, but it has not been necessary yet. And , unlike most Cali accessories, they cost just 27€.... for both!

Just placed them there wedged between kitchen and seat, the small soft rubber feet are enough to keep them from moving. If you have a LHD and are very tall with the seat all the way to the back, the top shelf might not fit. But you guys are predominantly RHD, so no issues.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MY10WRS/

20231114_104011.jpg

20231114_104021.jpg

20231114_104204.jpg

Can’t see this working with RHD as the pax seat nearly always gets swivelled round as opposed to the drivers seat which is a PITA!

Can’t see this working with RHD as the pax seat nearly always gets swivelled round as opposed to the drivers seat which is a PITA!
Not if you're on your own like what I am. These look perfect for me

Not if you're on your own like what I am. These look perfect for me
I'm glad. Not sure what the majority of RHD owners do, but adjusting the steering wheel is the only extra item compared to rotate the pax (left) seat. But the difference is huge, rotating the front right seat opens up the room inside the Cali, while rotating just the left seat ,you get a seat in an awkward position because of the kitchen.

I'm glad. Not sure what the majority of RHD owners do, but adjusting the steering wheel is the only extra item compared to rotate the pax (left) seat. But the difference is huge, rotating the front right seat opens up the room inside the Cali, while rotating just the left seat ,you get a seat in an awkward position because of the kitchen.
That’s why the Cali works best in LHD :D

I don’t fully agree about the RHD though…….. whilst it’s doable I still reckon it’s a lot of grief especially for just a brief overnight stop. With just the two of us we tend not to bother.

Another fan for Turing drivers seat here.
At first we used to turn passenger seat, but it is then at awkward angle and legs are constrained by kitchen unit.
After seeing instruction video on here for turning drivers seat then started that, it’s all about technique, careful positioning of seat with recline wound forwards, ( i don’t even adjust steering wheel anymore), one foot on brake pedal whilst release seat, and wife takes handbrake off and it’s done
With practice no problem at all
The big plus is passenger seat position traps the user in the van behind the table, but drivers position much better position, ease of exiting van and can adjust seat as you like
Our routine is now my wife preparing meal and I can get out to the microwave positioned in the rear to heat up those wonderful M&S curry meal deals
Working in a small space is all about planning and technique, practised to perfection :D

We seldom turn the driver's (rh) seat, as it's more tricky, and it makes itvless easy to climb into the roof bed (which we do by standing on the shoulder of the driver's seat).

Back