Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on Italy

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Touring out of season to the continent and would like to visit Italy
I don't speak a word of Italian
After doing a little research it seems it could be quite easy to collect parking & speeding fines apart from accidentally going through the ZTL zones!

I would be greatful for members advice that have any experience driving in Italy the last couple of years

Many thanks
Alan

Ps didn't have any problems in Spain & France last year

Don't speed and you won't get a ticket! The driving appears to border on the insane on occasions in built up areas but... despite looking like an accident at every corner, they're generally pretty good. Until it rains. Then just park up for a while and watch the ensuing chaos!

Not speaking the language isn't a problem - unless you want to order coffee. Never rely on what you think a coffee should be called based on what you know from the UK!!

Lovely Country.....

North very safe but south of Rome be a little cautious until you get to Sicily then it's very safe again. There is a guide to aires which has a yellow cover, can't recall the name. South of Rome driving standards get a bit wacky.

Easy to park up for free and be undisturbed.....

Any idea about where you wanna go?
Hi Argo&Liebe
Haven't got a set itinerary,but I'm looking at a lovely book by Eyewitness Travel titled "back roads northern & central Italy",which is made up with 25 leisurely drives lasting up to a week at a time.
If all goes well this year then I will take Berndros's suggestion and head for Sardina next year

Can anyone tell me if standard tires on a 180 DSG will be appropriate in the Italian alps in the later part of May?,not sure what weather conditions to expect !

Regards
Alan

Roads are normally clean in May,that's the perfect time of the year for motorbikes in the Alps! :happy
It depends on the temperatures, sudden snow is rare but not impossible.
Standard tires are ok.
For suggestions about Dolomiti...just ask, it's not far from where I live:thumb

Alan, I went last May for two months. Started at Cinque Terre and then went all the way down to Rome,then cut across and went to the tip of the heel. Then worked my way up east coast for a little then into the middle for the mountains and on up through Venice to wrap up in the dolomites. Was a nice trip but I hate to say I felt the Italian drivers were less than courteous. They don't under the concept of a roundabout, jamming it up into a traffic jam. At an intersection, they love to pull out just enough to make you hit the break, if you do, they win and will pull ahead of you. I constantly had concerns they were going to hit my Cali with their 3000eu beater. Was a bit stressful, especially dealing with traffic in cities and on the Amalfi Coast. I also had the pleasure of receiving a 90 euro ticket from the Bologna police dept 10 months later for driving in a pedestrian zone which I have no recall of but not worth driving back to fight. When I drove in the Dolomites in May, there was still a bit of snow on the higher peaks but 95% of the roads were dry and fine. There were a few with a small amount of snow but definitely no problem with good tires. Overall, beautiful country, beautiful people, pain to drive in. I felt instantly different when I got back to France, definitely a different driving culture there. Happy trails. Laurent

Hi Laurant,
Thanks for the info,you have confirmed my concerns for which I posted here

I have always had a fascination for Italy although never visited
Now I have my van it has to be done :bananadance

To date I'm planing to enter Italy via Lausanne in Switzerland,dropping south to enter Italy towards Aostal/Aoste,heading east towards the lakes following the scenic routes on the Michelin map avoiding built up areas where possible

Blimey,I'm tasting that Italian food already :)

Alan

Lol, we had same problem as Californiaman trying to order white coffees in a restaurant for locals! just about managed to get a couple of espressos in the end!