Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on Italy please.

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We are planning a 3 week visit to Italy in late September. We have no toured Italy before, just a couple of visits to Rome. We hope to tour round the coastal route, clockwise. If you have any suggestions of places we should not miss, and recommended campsites, we would be very grateful. We will have bikes with us. Thanks!

Sounds ambitious. All the way around the coast in three weeks, including there and back?

You like driving then?

I'd pick an area and explore that.

Sounds ambitious. All the way around the coast in three weeks, including there and back?

You like driving then?

I'd pick an area and explore that.
I agree. We do 2/3 days in a researched area then move on.

Seems like every Tom Dick and Cali is off to Italy this year - including me ...... but September should be lovely and clear.

September should be lovely and clear

No it wont, we're going in September!

We just stayed at "Camping Belsito" which is about halfway between Pisa and Florence at a place called Montecatini Terme. Really lovely site and actually closer to Montecatini Alto. Train to either Pisa, Lucca or Florence is a few euros.
7fbcacd9cc082bf13b408b2a37f6322f.jpg

View from our pitch

We also stayed at Camping Fusina which is next to Venice (ferry runs hourly) and has a great view of the city. Don't be put off by the seemingly never ending industrial area around it, you never see it once in there!
e990df32d5febe7c961e339f82acdf23.jpg

Def worth joining ACSI as we had nice savings which you should also get in September (€17-19 per night for van +2 people)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree that Lucca is a fantastic little town, though leave the van on the outside of the walls! Siena is wonderful to walk around for an afternoon - we're driving down there over the Alps last weekend of September.

I've tried Florence / Firenze twice & it's not for me - definitely book in advance if you want to get into the Uffizi museum.

From Italy, I suggest a three/four days stop in Liguria: camping Acqua Dolce, Levanto. My favourite. Full of vans from all over Europe. Top pizzeria. 500 m to the Beach. And perfect trekking along Cinque Terre walking route. If you prefer you can travel by local train in the Natural Park, city by city. Bellissimo. Ps. If you go (or somebody else), give me a call: it's a perfect all season destination from our house (Milan). Ciao!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you all for your helpful information. Yes, we were being too ambitious. We will target 3 or 4 areas. The only area we have explored before is Rome. So far, we like the sound of Lake Garda, Venice, Tuscany, La Spezia (Cinque Terre), and the Amalfi Coast. We're taking the bikes, and like to find picturesque cycling routes. We'll be there the last 2 weeks in September, and first in October, so anyone else travelling around these parts at that time, keep in touch!

Agree that Lucca is a fantastic little town, though leave the van on the outside of the walls! Siena is wonderful to walk around for an afternoon - we're driving down there over the Alps last weekend of September.

I've tried Florence / Firenze twice & it's not for me - definitely book in advance if you want to get into the Uffizi museum.
Went this February and completely agree. Siena was lovely. Florence was not for us and yes book to see the statue of the David bloke. About an hour queue in February. Worth the visit though.

Will be in Italy early part of October , but only in the north lake maggiore, orta San Giulio , on then to Aosta valley . Where we found a lovely small family campsite batten morgex & chamoniase . From there over the pass into Swiss . Just a short trip as we are limited by school holidays & we live in Scotland

I can't add much more to the above other than don't call unexpectedly on ancient olde travellers until they have had a chance to brush their hair, put a bit of lippy on, take off the horrendous bright pink socks previously worn under trail shoes and put a decent skirt and top on instead of the tatty old walking shirt,:D

If it wasn't you then apologies, you wouldn't have a c;ue what the hell I am talking about,

seems to be par for the course these days:shocked

From Italy, I suggest a three/four days stop in Liguria: camping Acqua Dolce, Levanto. My favourite. Full of vans from all over Europe. Top pizzeria. 500 m to the Beach. And perfect trekking along Cinque Terre walking route. If you prefer you can travel by local train in the Natural Park, city by city. Bellissimo. Ps. If you go (or somebody else), give me a call: it's a perfect all season destination from our house (Milan). Ciao!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip. We where visiting Carrara on the way from Rome yesterday so Acqua Dolce was full when we arrived. We are now staying at a smaller site in Levanto. Very nice city.