Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice please for first timers trying before buying

R

RCZ White

:hello
We are renting a California from BMVS in August for 7 nights. Can anyone suggest / recommend overnight stops ( paid or free!) and any useful tips along my wife's 'wish list' route...
Weymouth
Staying with relatives at Shaugh Prior
Has anyone done the Devonport to Torpoint ferry (website bit confusing... Is it a one way only crossing?)
Looe
Polperro
Fairy Cross
The Eden Project
Mevergissy/ Goran Haven
Forty Acre Wood
Mousehole
Lands end
Padstow
Davidstow
Exmoor Park
Bath
And back to Bognor

We'd appreciate any comments or ideas :thanks

Torpoint ferry is 2way. Q and go. Used to be 40p each way when I was a young lad!

Graham said:
Torpoint ferry is 2way. Q and go. Used to be 40p each way when I was a young lad!

Thanks - 1 off the list - keep 'em coming :thumb

Not sure when in August you are going but Weymouth, or to be more precise Portland is hosting some Olympic events so would be well avoided.

Graham did you ever go to the Carbiele (not sure on the spelling) for a steak in Torpoint?? ;)

RCZ White said:
:hello
We are renting a California from BMVS in August for 7 nights. Can anyone suggest / recommend overnight stops ( paid or free!) and any useful tips along my wife's 'wish list' route...
Weymouth
Staying with relatives at Shaugh Prior
Has anyone done the Devonport to Torpoint ferry (website bit confusing... Is it a one way only crossing?)
Looe
Polperro - worth a visit
Fairy Cross
The Eden Project - a must but entry is rather pricey and it gets VERY busy in season
Mevagissy/ Goran Haven - lovely area but Meva gets rammed. Stay at Treveague Campsite nr Gorran if you can
Forty Acre Wood
Mousehole - nice village/town well worth visiting
Lands end - a bit ruined TBH but good to go to
Padstow - Amazing restaurants but also gets VERY busy in season. Lovely surrounding area.
Davidstow - ermmm just a cheese factory and some Moors...
Exmoor Park
Bath
And back to Bognor

We'd appreciate any comments or ideas :thanks

Comments on stuff I know about above! We grew up in North Cornwall and are now nr Truro.

Hi RCZ White. What are your hire dates, so I can put a forum name to a real name :thumb

Let me know if you need any info regarding the campervan prior to collection

:D

Fairy cross?
What's the reason for going there? There's only about 6 houses on a very busy main road.
And my mother in law lives there so that's another reason not to go!

We're staying at heligan woods at the weekend which is a very nice site close to mevagissey would recommend you give it a try.

Stu said:
Not sure when in August you are going but Weymouth, or to be more precise Portland is hosting some Olympic events so would be well avoided.

Phew thanks for that I almost forgot :crazy

Any other suggestions? Does anyone have any friendly pubs with parking?

Freeley said:
Fairy cross?
What's the reason for going there? There's only about 6 houses on a very busy main road.

We're staying at heligan woods at the weekend which is a very nice site close to mevagissey would recommend you give it a try.

Fairy Cross as my wife thought our daughter would like to visit due to the name, we will cross that one off then :thanks

We will try Heligan woods thanks, any idea of a rough cost and does anybody else have any gems they wouldnt mind sharing? :D

If in Heligan, visit the lost gardens of; they are magical.

RCZ White said:
Freeley said:
Fairy cross?

Fairy Cross as my wife thought our daughter would like to visit due to the name, we will cross that one off then :thanks

We will try Heligan woods thanks, any idea of a rough cost and does anybody else have any gems they wouldnt mind sharing? :D

It's not the cheapest it's costing us ÂŁ78 for 3 nights which includes a rather steep ÂŁ7.50 booking charge.
As Graham says the lost gardens of heligan are well worth a visit and they are literally right next door. As is Lobbs Farm Shop, i'm praying for at least one dry evening for a BBQ as their ribs are awesome!

It's not the cheapest it's costing us ÂŁ78 for 3 nights which includes a rather steep ÂŁ7.50 booking charge.
As Graham says the lost gardens of heligan are well worth a visit and they are literally right next door. As is Lobbs Farm Shop, i'm praying for at least one dry evening for a BBQ as their ribs are awesome![/quote]

Thanks for that. It seems most sites are about ÂŁ25 which surprised us but perhaps we can roadside sometimes.
Does anyone know if you can Campervan overnight in the Council car parks of Padstow?
:thanks

I don't know but most of these places are against it. However I stayed in a quiet country pub car park in kingston near swanage for free and that is something I would try and repeat. Most landlords are used to cars being left behind by those that have caught a cab.

Big thums up to landlord of Scott's arms in Kingston :thumb

Also, you would be worth lookin for small industrial estates. These are quiet of an evening and don't nornslly have parking restrictions. Might not be the prettiest view but better than finding somewhere in a residential road as more cars and people likely to be around.

keacal2705 said:
I don't know but most of these places are against it. However I stayed in a quiet country pub car park in kingston near swanage for free and that is something I would try and repeat. Most landlords are used to cars being left behind by those that have caught a cab.

Big thums up to landlord of Scott's arms in Kingston :thumb

:thanks we thought about that area being our first stop :thumb

Camp on an industrial estate?!?!? Madness.
If you can afford a cali you can afford to stay on a campsite for a few nights surely?

RE: Padstow i'd recommend Padstow Touring Park, lovely site 15 minute walk down into the town, nice big pitches, good facilities.
Another of our favourites.

Freeley said:
If you can afford a cali you can afford to stay on a campsite for a few nights surely?

Wow, how snobby does that sound? :lol:

Depends, if you are going to get some use out of the campsite then yeah, sure, pay up.
But it might be late and just a case of sleeping for the night. The poster asked for advice on free places to stay. Some of the office complexes round here overlook lakes, etc.

Just because a Cali costs a lot does not mean we are all made of money :sad :boohoo

One tip I have just learned with camping wild is to make sure you pick a lay-by away from the road. I recently found a good spot on a B road in Shropshire, quiet, good views. However during the night when the odd car came by the van was rocked by the draft.

keacal2705 said:
Freeley said:

Wow, how snobby does that sound? :lol:

Depends, if you are going to get some use out of the campsite then yeah, sure, pay up.
But it might be late and just a case of sleeping for the night. The poster asked for advice on free places to stay. Some of the office complexes round here overlook lakes, etc.

Just because a Cali costs a lot does not mean we are all made of money :sad :boohoo

Yeah ok i suppose it does sound a bit snobby but i'm not honest! :D
I'm not against wild camping at all but i would've thought there were better places thats all.
Round our way you get boy racers and other undesirables hanging around those sort of areas at night, i wouldn't want to be parked up anywhere near them.
I'd much prefer a nice quiet site preferably with a view. It's just my personal opinion though.

We have occasionally used industrial estates and railway carparks etc when enroute. Normally we'd plan to park up after 11pm and be gone again by 6am.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/ is a good source for checking locations. Apply a little common sense and you can't go too far wrong.

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Hi RCZ White. What are your hire dates, so I can put a forum name to a real name :thumb

Let me know if you need any info regarding the campervan prior to collection

:D

:hello Malcolm Riches :thanks

Good evening. I amended your booking as per emails today :thumb

Back