Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aire advice and hopefully a recommendation

Mooreml1

Mooreml1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi everyone,

We are travelling to France in the Cali in 2 weeks and doing loop around several sites, and cannot wait.
We have an early ferry on the return morning so was hoping to park somewhere for a night within about 30-40mins of Calais.
My questions are…

Are aires safe enough and suitable for an overnighter (we have a 6 yr old)

Is anyone able to recommend anywhere safe within this radius of calais?

I presume you don’t need to book them?

Thankyou in advance folks!

I stayed here last August although it was quiet because of covid.

I’m currently staying here. Feels safe although we are staying at the full camping. 28 eur per night with electricity, 2 adults 1 kid.
Camping Le Grand Gravlot
+33 3 91 91 52 34

You can’t ask random strangers on the internet what their view of safe is.
It’s a personal thing and only you know if you feel comfortable enough staying somewhere, which isn’t a general campsite.
Aires and roadside aren’t for everyone and if you’re not happy about pulling over somewhere random, you’re probably better to stay on a campsite.

Always go with your gut instincts…:thumb

Last edited:
There will be no consensus on this site - other threads will clearly evidence this - and why should there be. We have used aires across France for the past twelve years, since our son was six. We have never been threatened or felt at risk anywhere we stopped, though we drove on from a few that seemed too isolated or run down. Another option I have suggested elsewhere is to stay at services on a peage motorway. Nothing is certain, but the car parks at the larger ones allow campervans to park overnight, usually in designated parking bays. Video surveillance on and off the motorway and the opportunity to use the service facilities are bonuses. Others will disagree, but it has worked for us

What kind of Aire do you mean? The aire as in motorway service / picnic type or an aire du camping car, which are small and often free camping places that are in most towns in France?

For the latter have a look at searchforsites or park4night night apps and read the reviews. Some of them close to Calais had immigrant problems and have closed: the others can be full in season.

For the former, I concur with @soulstyledevon about safety perceptions: we often use them tho and have never had an issue. However we always use ones with petrol stations. If you are on the A28 from Rouen, the Aire de la Baie de Somme is 60 miles from Calais and feels safe and is always busy with UK overnighters in the NE end of the car park.

Bon route.

The area around Le Crotoy would be a reasonable option for your last night - it’s got a holiday feel. The campsite we stayed at has closed down unfortunately but you will find lots of options on Park4night etc.

I can recommend Camping Municipal La Foret, Bazinval

It’s quiet and cheap. Shady, lots of trees, immaculate facilities. I think just turn up. Doubt they take bookings or get busy.

Back