Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are off to France for Christmas and New Year. Brittany Ferries want over £600 for the crossing whilst Eurotunnel is a mere £200. I have to travel during school hols which is bumping up the price. I will face a 6-7 hour drive the other side which I know the Cali can easily cope with.

My query is....as a single lady with a child and a dog how safe would it be travelling through Calais? I presume going is ok but it is coming back to Blighty. The news is full of desperate people tring to get here by any means.

Do I train it there and ferry back?

Thanks for any input and Seasons Greetings
Zebedee

Hi,
You will be fine travelling through Calais. Just use your common sense and keep your doors locked. I would use the Tunnel over the the Ferry as I find it much quicker and less weather dependant. Both sides of the Tunnel have Police stationed within the Port at juxtaposed controls, so both sides have UK officers within the Port if you have any concerns.
Have fun!
:D

I am using Eurotunnel every three weeks at present.

Totally safe. As with the English end the french end is accessed direct off a motorway, no need to stop in Calais at all. I normally pop into Carrefour at Ardres, 7 miles before Calais, to stock up on last minute bits and pieces, then back on the Autoroute, straight into check in without stopping, then straight onto the train.

Agree with GrannyJen. Follow signs on Autoroute for Euroshuttle. Once through checkin you are safe.
The Euroshuttle Terminal is outside Calaise and most of the problems are at the Ferry Port in Calaise.

Ive personally been though Calais a dozen times this year, travelling to and from the tunnel, and never seen any issues whatsoever. Remember the media hype everything up. You won't even come into contact with it. Tunnel everytime :thumb

And if you are travelling with bikes on a bike rack, remember to disconnect your gas bottle, and take a picture of it, as quite often the customs will ask to double check that its been done. Its a right pain having to take the bikes off etc to do this, to gain access to show them the bottle. A picture works everytime :thumb

Re.gas bottle. Just turn the taps on the hob and they can see no gas coming out. That's what I do, works every time.

Has anyone been through the tunnel recently? I'm planning a trip to France soon and a friend said avoid Eurotunnel because of increased security & delays due to migrant activity and French strike action.

Recent first hand experience & feedback appreciated please. Thanks

It is just a gamble, we have had 2 hour delays due to migrants in the tunnel yet other times we have been on time. I think in the summer we could see some big disruption again as the migrant problem is getting worse over there. There are some good deals on the ferries but again you have the hassle of getting on/off.
We are using Brittany Ferries this year to Spain and then driving back up to St Malo, its a bit more expensive but more civilised way of travelling.

Likewise Portsmouth-Le Havre with Brittany Ferries including dog-friendly cabins.

I recently went Portsmouth le harve with Britannia ferries
Check out there club voyage membership, gets you 30% off
Ticket was £222 return before discount , cabin both ways

I agree about Club Voyage Membership. I didn't purchase it at the time because we booked well in advance and Brittany Ferries advised us to join in May before we pay the balance for the ferry in order to benefit from maximum time as it is annual membership. They will then apply the discount and adjust price.
We booked for two adults, bike rack and dog. Going out 20/6, dept Portsmouth 23.15; arrive Le Havre 08.30. Returning 4/7, dept Le Havre 17.15; arrive Portsmouth 21.45. (Perfect as we only live half an hour from ferry.) Large o/s cabin (2/4 berth) both ways. The total before Club Voyage discount is applied is £410.25.
The boat is Etretat (Economie Service so you don't get as many facilities as on the bigger boats) and it is a dog-friendly cabin. I'm not sure about school holidays but I would imagine that the dog-friendly cabins would go fairly quickly.
We've used the Santander and Bilbao crossings a few times and paid for most of the cost with Avios but it wasn't such a good deal on the Le Havre crossing so we'll be paying by credit card. The dog-friendly cabin from Bilbao last year was excellent and was just one short flight of stairs away from the dog-walking area.
Hope this helps.

The boat is Etretat (Economie Service so you don't get as many facilities as on the bigger boats)

I was going to do this, but was put off the economie service as it states vehicles may have to transit on an open deck and advise a thorough washing down on arrival etc. Is it purely a first-come, first into the covered decks i.e. Get there early?

Sorry, not sure as I haven't used it before. It will be fingers crossed for us but we've used Brittany Ferries many times and they have been consistently good.

Thanks for your help trying to find the best way to get over to Fuerteventura with the dog.
We won't be in any hurry plan is to leave England October-ish stop wherever France/Spain then ferry over to Fuerteventura until March then head home again.

Don't really fancy the last ferry think it's about 18 hrs & can't seem to get a good reliable report on the kennels or cabins etc.

I was going to do this, but was put off the economie service as it states vehicles may have to transit on an open deck and advise a thorough washing down on arrival etc. Is it purely a first-come, first into the covered decks i.e. Get there early?

Andy.
We're doing Bilbao on Saturday so will find out and post on here. Boat leaves at 08.30 so we are staying overnight in Portsmouth to get early in the queue.

Etretat has always been quiet when we have gone
I choose the cheapest trip, which I imagine is the quietest , as price goes up with numbers. Maby that is why I have been lucky...we usually arrive an hour before departure

Been looking at ferries this week too. Hopefully school summer holidays down to Annecy via Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland. The DFDS Dover to Dunkirk ferry is coming in at a bargain £88 return for 3 people and Cali, both trips Saturday lunchtimes in school hols. Is this worth booking now, seems very cheap , also welcome any views on this crossing. Thanks

Yes, definitely. LIkely to get more expensive later unless you are prepared to risk leaving it to the last minute when they have space to fill but that's pretty unlikely at holiday times.
Slightly longer than the Calais crossing but if you're heading to Belgium it's closer.
Less likely to be any problems as well if it all kicks off again.

Yes, definitely. LIkely to get more expensive later unless you are prepared to risk leaving it to the last minute when they have space to fill but that's pretty unlikely at holiday times.
Slightly longer than the Calais crossing but if you're heading to Belgium it's closer.
Less likely to be any problems as well if it all kicks off again.
Thank you Brian. :thumb

DFDS seem to be pretty competitive. I've just booked Newhaven-Dieppe in May for £115 2.5 people, one way with overnight 4 berth outside cabin. About half the fare of Portsmouth-Caen

Back