Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Terrain Kumho Tyres 225 / 17

P

PeterS

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Good Morning from Australia, Is there any consensus re the optimum Tyre pressure for the T6 Camper?

In Australia there is conflicting advice at every turn, the VW Manual cites 28 psi - 32 psi. The Tyre fitters proclaim 41 psi (based on what their cousins brothers best mates son says) whilst the conversion builders have yet a third figure. The sticker on the door pillar refers to Tyre sizes not even fitted to the T6 in Australia.

Kumho who make the Tyre won’t even reply to enquires.

Thank you, PS. Sydney Australia.

Kumho won't advise you a tyre pressure, as they don't know the tyre pressure needed for every car/van with this size. They will only stamp the maximum pressure on the sidewall of the tyre.

I'd stick to the VW approved pressure.

Don't know your tyre size pressure, but I put mine on 3,9 bar. The advised pressure for mine is 3,5 on all 4 I think.
But I have 215/65 R16. You won't do harm if you go for 3 - 4 bar.

Maybe someone with 17" fitted can answer what they put on, and what the tyre wear is?

Good Morning from Australia, Is there any consensus re the optimum Tyre pressure for the T6 Camper?

In Australia there is conflicting advice at every turn, the VW Manual cites 28 psi - 32 psi. The Tyre fitters proclaim 41 psi (based on what their cousins brothers best mates son says) whilst the conversion builders have yet a third figure. The sticker on the door pillar refers to Tyre sizes not even fitted to the T6 in Australia.

Kumho who make the Tyre won’t even reply to enquires.

Thank you, PS. Sydney Australia.
I run my 17" at 44 psi front and rear. Van always loaded, apart from water. Equal wear front and rear.
One way of getting correct pressure, put a thick chalk line across tyre width. Drive a few miles. Check chalk mark. Centre of line worn, over inflated. Edges worn then under inflated. Whole mark worn - correct.

My door sticker doesn't have 225 info but 215 has 54 front and 51 rear.
235's are 44 front and 40 to 44 rear varying with load carried.
28 seems far too low.
What load rating are your tyres?

I run 225/65/17 (106V) on Cooper Discoverer All Season at 45 psi. I’ve just fitted them so will see how we go on that pressure.

I run my 17" at 44 psi front and rear. Van always loaded, apart from water. Equal wear front and rear.
One way of getting correct pressure, put a thick chalk line across tyre width. Drive a few miles. Check chalk mark. Centre of line worn, over inflated. Edges worn then under inflated. Whole mark worn - correct.
Thank you, I like that tip re the chalk! I worry that high Tyre pressure means that the suspension and even the chassis / body absorbs the impact of corrugations - I don’t think corrugations are typical of roads in the UK and Europe - but in Australia these sine curve shaped “hills and valleys” on gravel and dirt road surfaces impart shattering impacts on vehicles. Getting the correct Tyre pressure is crucial to ensuring optimum safe and comfortable vehicle operation.

Back