Alloy wheel refurbishment process

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
This video came across my YouTube feed tonight which I thought might be worth a share.

Two things struck me (as an ex mechanical engineer)... 1) the wheel straightening process and the associated lack of proper heat treatment, and 2) the amount of metal being removed by the diamond cutting process. Alloy chips flying everywhere!
I think I'd be cool with a straight forward shot (media) blasting and then repaint/bake, but the more serious processes would leave me stressed.
Given how we deem a 103 rated tyre to be acceptable but a 102 isn't, it seems mad that a bit of a blow torch and the removal of so much metal doesn't get the same scrutiny.

I believe they can only be Refurbed twice (re cut)...
We weld wheels at work for a local wheel dealer tyre place.....
mostly bmw and merc wheels the more welds you do the more tension it puts in the wheel any more than two welds bin it....
the biggest reason for wheels cracking is run flat tyres

Makes me smile, about 5.35 he says the wheel has no buckles left now and what a great job they've done etc. but if you watch the rim it's wobbling in and out all over the place. Anyone else agree?

And at 6:00 they've left a socket wrench on the wheel - reminds me of leaving a chuck key in a lathe....

If I had a wheel that had suffered enough of an impact to split it and deform it to that extent, I’d be worried that there would also be some invisible damage.

If one of my rims would have been split, I'd just buy a new one. I won't take the risk of driving around with a welded rim. Not worth the risk, how well it would have been welded. No offense to anyone who welds rims.

Had a cracked alloy on my old Beach.
Got rid and replaced all four wheels. Just didn’t fancy welding a wheel up...

You guys worry too much about the integrity of a repaired/refurbished alloy. You've 4 wheels on your wagon, if one fails you've still got three. Keep rolling...

My sister and brother in law own alloy wheel solutions in Hereford. Check them out. They do an amazing job.

Back