Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Annoying First Gear

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have a 180 manual SE and whilst I love almost everything about this wonderful camper, I really find the first gear ruins the drive.

I find it really annoying that you almost have to change to second gear just having pulled away, given its the 180 version, I thought it would be more powerful and a nicer drive around town. I'm quite glad we don't use it as a daily drive around town as we cycle to and from work.

Does anyone else feel the same about this manual gearbox or maybe there is something wrong as I have never driven another?

On most diesels 1st is to
a. get the vehicle moving from rest
b. manouvering

On my Defender we often started off in 2nd on the flat or downhill, and in the handbook it specifically stated the above points a & b.

On the DSG it is the same, virtually as soon as the vehicle is moving 2nd is engaged.

Have you ever previously driven a heavy diesel vehicle before?

Diesels are not high revving engines but what they do have is torque and without a very low 1st gear you would basically damage the clutch very easily. You want to try a diesel Defender. You change to 2nd as soon as you are moving or you end up doing 5000 rpm at 10mph, a bit extreme but then it can tow 12 tons and has to get that weight rolling. The California only weighs 3 tons laden but the principle is the same.

Many thanks for your response, we had a 2.5 T5 conversion before this one but it didn't feel so sluggish in first, maybe it was just the noisier engine that made me think it went further in first. We had some high BHP petrol engines before so am quite used to high speed 1st gear cars. Thanks for reassurance that everything is normal.

I will have to start pulling away in 2nd more like the old days in my 63 beetle, still in the garage :)

With my old land rover you could take off just using the clutch. Not possible with a aT5!

Back