Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Annoying Odour/smell

A

ALTYGEZZER555

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All
I have a late 2022 California Ocean and over the past few months I have encountered an annoying odour like from a damp carpet? It was much less noticeable during the earlier dry weather spell. I have checked that there are no obvious damp areas within. We have hardly ever used the sink so I am confident it is not coming from the sink drain or grey water tank. I have had no internal spillages (and I change my socks regularly!) and just want to ask if anyone out there has had a similar experience before I confront my dealership!

Hi All
I have a late 2022 California Ocean and over the past few months I have encountered an annoying odour like from a damp carpet? It was much less noticeable during the earlier dry weather spell. I have checked that there are no obvious damp areas within. We have hardly ever used the sink so I am confident it is not coming from the sink drain or grey water tank. I have had no internal spillages (and I change my socks regularly!) and just want to ask if anyone out there has had a similar experience before I confront my dealership!
Have you checked the chair storage bag on the tailgate. I think some people have found water ingress there.

Is it when the internal blinds are down? I've noticed that ours have started to develop a musty smell, that goes off after a period of time. No dampness. I am just putting it down to a lack of airing when there are rolled away for a time.

Is it when the internal blinds are down? I've noticed that ours have started to develop a musty smell, that goes off after a period of time. No dampness. I am just putting it down to a lack of airing when there are rolled away for a time.
No the odour is present most of the time. We haven't needed to use the blinds these past few weeks. We have left the sliding door and tailgate open to freshen the air but the build up returns when the vehicle has been locked for a reasonable period of time (sadly!).

You can also check the drain channels and ensure they all evacuate under the Cali. Also have a look at the water dump outlet and make sure that is correctly aligned below the gas bottle compartment.

The only carpeting is in the cabin I assume so that might be where to focus attention initially. A cheap moisture sensor could be used to probe for minor leaks and water accumulation in the carpet.

Its a late '22 Cali and the smells started months ago so I have a hard time believing the filters are the source of the odour.

You can also check the drain channels and ensure they all evacuate under the Cali. Also have a look at the water dump outlet and make sure that is correctly aligned below the gas bottle compartment.

The only carpeting is in the cabin I assume so that might be where to focus attention initially. A cheap moisture sensor could be used to probe for minor leaks and water accumulation in the carpet.

Thanks for these suggestions. I will check the drain channels and the alignment under the gas bottle compartment.
I will also check out a moisture sensor, I hadn't thought of that thanks.
I have wondered if there is under floor lining or insulation that could be absorbing moisture but this is only an unqualified thought!

On a couple vehicles I’ve owned (not VW) I have found the passenger footwell carpet has got damp due to air condition condenser drain pipe becoming detached under the dashboard and as a result dripping water into the footwell and wetting the carpet and insulation under it.

Thanks for these suggestions. I will check the drain channels and the alignment under the gas bottle compartment.
I will also check out a moisture sensor, I hadn't thought of that thanks.
I have wondered if there is under floor lining or insulation that could be absorbing moisture but this is only an unqualified thought!
There is a thick wad of a fibrous material between the front seats, which protects a wiring loom between the front seats and the same material extends into both footwells. This material can hold a lot of water.

There is a thick wad of a fibrous material between the front seats, which protects a wiring loom between the front seats and the same material extends into both footwells. This material can hold a lot of water.
I have a accumulated a few minor warranty issues that are due to be sorted so I will ask my dealer's opinion though if it is tricky to get at he may pass it off as unlikely! Thanks again for your input.

On a couple vehicles I’ve owned (not VW) I have found the passenger footwell carpet has got damp due to air condition condenser drain pipe becoming detached under the dashboard and as a result dripping water into the footwell and wetting the carpet and insulation under it.
I will ask the dealer about this when I take my van in for some warranty work. It has got to be something like this, ie; dampness. Thanks!

Back