Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Dumb Question ....

M

Martyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can't say I noticed it before, but tonight the warning notice "CHECK SAFELOCK - Owner's Manual" came up on the dash. Is this a normal thing? I suppose it could be. I checked the manual and it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong. SAFELOCK is the deadlock mechanism as I understand it.

Any advice appreciated.

Martyn

Check that if you are leaving anyone in the vehicle, people, dogs, dancing bears or mother-in-laws that you do not deadlock the vehicle so it cannot be opened from the inside. Also that you have not activated the interior movement alarm.

In my manual it is explained on page 54.

GrannyJen said:
Check that if you are leaving anyone in the vehicle, people, dogs, dancing bears or mother-in-laws that you do not deadlock the vehicle so it cannot be opened from the inside. Also that you have not activated the interior movement alarm.

I'm sorry Jen, I don't quite understand. Does the warning message imply that I have somehow activated the deadlock? Pardon my dumbness, how would I have done that? Likewise the interior movement alarm? I can't recall messing with anything.

It's just a reminder. It does it on mine. Same as when you close the roof it stops and asks "blind open, bed down, window /door open/...."

Nothing to worry about. It's just telling you think before you lock.

Ah, I see. Thanks Jen, much appreciated. Must have my paranoid head on today!

I hope it is your paranoid head and not something dreadfully and fatally flawed with the operation of the vehicle as mine does the same!

The locking regime, to safe lock, deadlock, de-activate interior movement alarms, to de-activate movement sensors etc. actually gave me a headache when reading the manual.

In fact you have prompted me to check my manual again and I am currently sat in Albert on a campsite in west wales and probably on the brink of waking the whole place up as every alarm known to man, boy, girl or cali-owner suddenly bursts from my vehicle :oops: :oops: :oops:

And there was me thinking it was a reminder to check you had locked the safe :D

From the Sandringham Estate...I too am confused about this and have read the manual a few times. When we leave the vehicle with dog inside and want to deactivate the alarm, what exactly do we do?

There should be two buttons low down on the b pillar on the driver's side. One is to deactivate the movement sensors - we use this when parked on a ferry or in the chunnel. The other deactivates the interior sensors which you would use in your case.
It switches back on when you unlock so you would have to do this every time you left your dogs inside

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

In a nutshell - if you lock with the plip it will deadlock, think if you turn the key in the lock within a few secs you can turn it off. If you lock the doors from the inside using the lock/unlock button by window switches, drivers side, deadlock doesn't activate meaning you can open doors in an emergency and get out. This is my interpretation and might be completely wrong though!!

Larkrise said:
From the Sandringham Estate...I too am confused about this and have read the manual a few times. When we leave the vehicle with dog inside and want to deactivate the alarm, what exactly do we do?

The switch on the B-pillar deactivates motion sensors so can leave dogs/kids in car without alarm going off - mine stays set, don't need to reactivate every time though...? If light on switch is on sensors are deactivated.

That sounds simple; there is just one switch. If the background illumination (red) is on then the system is armed. If it is lit up yellow then the system is off. Right?