Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another new steering column

S

Stu

Guest User
Our bus has only been on the road a couple of months although it was built last August and it's clocked up a mighty 2500 ish miles.

I had sensed a knocking or clunk in the steering from day one but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Any way he went to the Doctors on Tuesday and was diagnosed with a faulty steering column. It seems this is becoming a 'common' issue in the T5 GP and VW Technical told the garage to replace the entire steering column and send the original back for analysis.

I know a couple of people here have already had them replaced but it's certainly worth following up if you feel the odd knock or clunk in your steering.

Cheers stu ... I think I have a knocking every now and then .. Keep me eye on it and see if it needs to go to the vets :)

Had mine done about three weeks ago - we're on 4500 miles.

My transporter work van does this mostly when turning right and has done from early on.
Am hoping it can wait till its first service.
I had a similar problem with my old work van can't believe vw still haven't got hold of this problem over the years.

Hmm, :eek: I'm interested in your experiences on this as mine is on about 2500 miles and yesterday for the first time I felt a slight knocking sensation nothing major but something noticeable which was not quite right and I will keep an eye on.

Poppy had the same issue. To start with we noticed at slow speeds on full lock. I was told by the dealer that this was not a safety issue. VW have redesigned the part as it was rubbing on the casing apparently.

Anywhoo repair done march time and it has been fine since

The column is just shy of £500 plus the labour so worth having it checked if you have a concern.

run out and camp out tonight . Beth hasn't moved since last weekend ,as been busy ,so will be interesting to see if what the steering is like ... :!: :!:

I think that's what prompted me Lee. I had the occasional knock when driving but after he'd been parked up for two weeks, first drive out was shocking b

Called smg tonbridge today just about the first payment and extra sign up fee to make sure all ok ...

I asked about steering column issue and I was told that Vw are now telling the dealerships not to replace the steering column in a tech release of some sort ... Not sure why ,but they think vw maybe in the future doing a modification of some kind ..!!!
Anyway ... So lucky everyone that got replacement and looks like all of us others will have to put up with the knocking ...( well for now ) or unless it gets really bad and I spit the dummy out :)

If this occurs under warranty then we have to contact VW Technical to discuss the matter before replacing the steering column. If we feel that the column is at fault then they can ask us to replace it and send the old column straight back to VW Technical for analysis. No word of redesigned parts, but I think that they are looking into trying to reach a permanent fix so as to not keep on replacing them over and over again with the same part.

cheers

Hi all, have 2yr old 180dsg with low miles. Intermittent click/knock felt through steerwheel when turning. Seems to happen more often when pulling away but that maybe just coincidence. Vw looked at it but as intermittent they dont seem to interested. Have tried to get it to happen more often eg keeping in lower gear, pulling away fast and slow etc but still just to intermittent to warrant return to vw. Any one else had similar occurences and any advise on how could get it to happen so can show mechanic. Cheers in advance and appreciate hard questions to answer but frustrated.

Sounds like similar symptoms to mine.

Could be replicated on roundabouts or driving through a change of camber in the road.

Got it on my panel van same as you stu, roundabouts and slight right turns etc. Not bad enough to bother me though, sometimes not there at all. Will get them to have a look when it goes in for its first service but wouldn't bother me if they wouldn't do anything about it tbh.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I noticed this last weekend. Pulling off up hill and reversing at an angle.
Lets see what my local dealer says..

I had a call from VW CS yesterday about this as it happens. They are aware that my last one was returned to head office in Milton Keynes but have urged me to have it looked at by the garage again.

As yet there is no revised part or bulletin to guide the dealers and it would be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Worth getting it booked in.

mines in tomorrow for steering knock and the control buttons knackered,and it's her 1st birthday tomorrow, had just been bragging I was having a trouble free year, sods law

Will get them to look again but as said doesnt always do it. May be worth forcing them to take it for proper drive. In soon for respray due to blister paint on roof and front panel so mention it then. My concern is come next year im out of warranty. Heres hoping vw will be sympathetic to a problem i mentioned whilst in warranty if they still wont do anything until happening all the time. You can only hope sometimes. Cheers again and in sick way at least i know there are other t5's with similar issues so hopefully vw will be a ware of it. Sorry, but im sure you know what i mean

I am interested to hear if the replacement steering columns fixed this problem. Mine is only 3 months old, but I have recently noticed a slight knock/tug through the wheel particularly when unwinding lock after turning right.

Does anyone know if the dealers have a new part which resolves the issue? I am rather keen to get this fixed whilst under warranty, obviously.

Simon

After leaving he Cali in Germany over Christmas, long story of German registration issues, noticed a knock through the steering column when doing slow manoeuvring or reversing. I'll send it to the local garage here to look at. Only just overa year old so will check how good the pan European warranty is!

Our Cali was delivered May '12 done 7k, going in this week for column, bed plastic side rivet things ( keep finding them falling down when we use upper bed) and a split water filler cap (not been dropped)
Steering knocking started at about 200 miles, told dealer then they said its normal...had to go and complain again....so now being done...
Will let you know how long it lasts.....!!

Mine also needs the column doing. How much would this repair cost outside of warranty?

I can't see it possibly being cheaper than £300 (although depends if VW would do the sliding scale contribution thing).

I assume the knocking causes no further damage if left un-repaired?

Back