Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any folks bought or sold a second hand T5 beach lately?

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Seeing some tempting T6 deals at the moment on the Beach. As it will be the last of them in the UK, there is a part of me tempted to upgrade whilst I still can, feels like a last chance to get a relatively new one with low miles :( .

Would all depend on the value of the old one. So just to be clear it is not for sale just looking at rough idea of value. Just wondering if anyone has bought or sold one of the last T5s recently and what the going rate is.

T5.1 2015 - 3 seat beach.
Full VW Service History
46k / 114 bhp (easily safely mapped to 140+ just never felt the need)
5 speed manual
DAB RNS 315
Sportline Front Splitter
Cavascel Alloys
Fiamma Awning with LED light rafter.
Parking heater installed (after market).
ISOTOP
Insect Window Inserts
Mattress topper for downstairs
Comfortz Screen Cover
Parking sensors
VW Warranty Roof Repair completed.
VW roof bars

Maybe the slidepod could be included but may be better to just keep that.

I checked the trade in price which was short of what I'd let it go for but not too bad.

Last edited:
Purchased 2012 Beach last summer for £27.5k, (advertised at £30k) with below:

17k, 140 bhp
7 seats
6 speed manual
3 zone aircon
DAB Radio, bluetooth, ipod connection & steering wheel controls.
Factory Parking Heater + remote, and engine pre-heater (think this is standard anyway)
Thule Omnistor awning
Freestanding awning (unused,)
Main bed Memory foam Mattress (unused)
Roof memory Mattress (unused)
VW Bike Rack
Full Removable interior carpet, mats etc
Thule Levelling ramps
Parking Sensors
Auto Headlights
Auto Wipers
Dimming rear view mirror
Turning Fog Lights
Waterproof seat covers
....VW Torch!
FVWSH (only 2 services anyway due to low mileage)

Upon collection main battery was flat & rusty brake discs (both fixed by a decent drive, although battery now replaced).

We used the change versus buying a new one to build a double garage to park it in.

(Keep the Slidepod as unlikely you will recover the initial outlay, and would fit straight into your new van!)

That is quite useful to know, its made me realise I forgot a few things but also you have a few nice to have features I dont like the auto wipers, turning/fog lights, 3 zone ac and lights. Also yours is a 140 with nice low miles.

What if the T6.1 is comming at a later time to the UK anyway , you will regret getting a 6.
Your T5 will get you anywhere a T6 can .

Or not. List for a 6.1 beach won’t be small esp when you add a few options. Not massive difference between that and T6 and certainly not against some of the deals you can get now. I’d jump on a T6 now and ignore unless you have a really really specific spec in mind or you want the built in kitchen which may come in the beach.

Main reason to get a 6.1 would be the built in kitchen module. I guess I have to part from my T6 and 25.000€ to get that kitchen. Not worth it for me

Have you thought about an Ocean...

Seeing some tempting T6 deals at the moment on the Beach. As it will be the last of them in the UK, there is a part of me tempted to upgrade whilst I still can, feels like a last chance to get a relatively new one with low miles :( .

Would all depend on the value of the old one. So just to be clear it is not for sale just looking at rough idea of value. Just wondering if anyone has bought or sold one of the last T5s recently and what the going rate is.

T5.1 2015 - 3 seat beach.
Full VW Service History
46k / 114 bhp (easily safely mapped to 140+ just never felt the need)
5 speed manual
DAB RNS 315
Sportline Front Splitter
Cavascel Alloys
Fiamma Awning with LED light rafter.
Parking heater installed (after market).
ISOTOP
Insect Window Inserts
Mattress topper for downstairs
Comfortz Screen Cover
Parking sensors
VW Warranty Roof Repair completed.
VW roof bars

Maybe the slidepod could be included but may be better to just keep that.

I checked the trade in price which was short of what I'd let it go for but not too bad.
Going thru the same process at present. Advertised mine on here started +£28995 for a fortnight. No takers so reduced to £28k still no joy so again dropped to £27250 had an offer of £26750 but turned out to be time wasters. Now reduced to £26k and have a viewing today. Seems a lot of essentials like parking heater etc do nothing for some buyers. Was offered £22500 against new Beach@£47k, £18495@we buy any car £21k@Evans Halshaw. Good luck with yours but in the end selling to a private buyer is never going to be easy at£20k plus. PS would remove the engine mapping from any advert as could put people off. In the end if I do attain £26k the Beach will have deprecated by 26% over 4.5 years so really good in my book.

Going thru the same process at present. Advertised mine on here started *+£28995 for a fortnight. No takers so reduced to £28k still no joy so again dropped to £27250 had an offer of £26750 but turned out to be time wasters. Now reduced to £26k and have a viewing today. Seems a lot of essentials like parking heater etc do nothing for some buyers. Was offered £22500 against new Beach@£47k, £18495@we buy any car £21k@Evans Halshaw. Good luck with yours but in the end selling to a private buyer is never going to be easy at£20k plus. PS would remove the engine mapping from any advert as could put people off. In the end if I do attain £26k the Beach will have deprecated by 26% over 4.5 years so really good in my book.

As buyer we had the opposite experience; every van was either under offer or sold. We were prepared to travel the country...but then a good spec one one popped up 20 mins away.

The seller admitted that he did not know how to price the van. Original VW invoice shows £37393 as 2012 purchase price new, seller purchased from 1st owner for £33k 4years later; He worked his sell price to us on his 2nd hand purchase price and the loss over 3 years from his ownership (rather than the current market). He was happy with the price, as were we!

Maybe wait until after Easter, when a lot of people will camp and then realise they would be better off in a van. Also a lot of companies pay bonuses during Feb-April.

Last edited:
Or a Coast?
Yes I have quite considered an Ocean or Coast, personally I like the idea of a coast just because less to go wrong in the long term.

V has suggested we hire an ocean to try it, so to my surprise she is quite open about upgrading.

The main temptation was realising with the 6.1 coming in the T6 will have some great deals out there and I could probably upgrade to almost new beach for about 10k. May be a much bigger jump for a ocean/coast? Then again new model time is the time for great deals.

Going thru the same process at present. Advertised mine on here started *+£28995 for a fortnight. No takers so reduced to £28k still no joy so again dropped to £27250 had an offer of £26750 but turned out to be time wasters. Now reduced to £26k and have a viewing today. Seems a lot of essentials like parking heater etc do nothing for some buyers. Was offered £22500 against new Beach@£47k, £18495@we buy any car £21k@Evans Halshaw. Good luck with yours but in the end selling to a private buyer is never going to be easy at£20k plus. PS would remove the engine mapping from any advert as could put people off. In the end if I do attain £26k the Beach will have deprecated by 26% over 4.5 years so really good in my book.
We buy any car offered me £24500, you can see their profit on top of that for resale so gives an idea about the retail price? Not sure what markup garages will put on that? 15%? 20%?

Not sure what year yours is?

Yes I have quite considered an Ocean or Coast, personally I like the idea of a coast just because less to go wrong in the long term.

V has suggested we hire an ocean to try it, so to my surprise she is quite open about upgrading.

The main temptation was realising with the 6.1 coming in the T6 will have some great deals out there and I could probably upgrade to almost new beach for about 10k. May be a much bigger jump for a ocean/coast? Then again new model time is the time for great deals.

Give the Ocean a try.
I loved the Beach, worked great for the two of us for many years, so I’m not knocking it.
But we really love the Ocean.
It’s does making camping easier with all the extra storage.
I wouldn’t go back now...

Absolutely worth hiring one for a week to see how you get on.

I think V secretly would like an ocean, but with the 2 dogs may be cramped.

I think if it was just us two I would go ocaen too although the price jump looking at some of the deals out there isnt as bad as I first thought it might be.

We don’t find the ocean cramped with our 2 dogs. Admittedly they are fairly small,westies. We nearly always sleep upstairs.
Agree best to hire an ocean with the dogs.

I think V secretly would like an ocean, but with the 2 dogs may be cramped.

I think if it was just us two I would go ocaen too although the price jump looking at some of the deals out there isnt as bad as I first thought it might be.

That for me was one the things which persuaded me to move from Beach to Ocean. A highly specced Beach was coming in close to the price of an Ocean.
There were certain things I absolutely wanted. Front and Rear Climatic, Parking Heater. There’s a lot of extras with the Ocean which are standard.

We decided to try the Ocean, thought having a fixed cooker etc would make things simpler with our little one, with regards to getting meals ready etc. Babies and toddlers need feeding at set times.

We thought once he had got past this stage we would sell again and buy another Beach.
I’m not sure that’s going to happen now...;)

That for me was one the things which persuaded me to move from Beach to Ocean. A highly specced Beach was coming in close to the price of an Ocean.
There were certain things I absolutely wanted. Front and Rear Climatic, Parking Heater. There’s a lot of extras with the Ocean which are standard.

We decided to try the Ocean, thought having a fixed cooker etc would make things simpler with our little one, with regards to getting meals ready etc. Babies and toddlers need feeding at set times.

We thought once he had got past this stage we would sell again and buy another Beach.
I’m not sure that’s going to happen now...;)
Its never too late to see the light.:thumb:cheers

Ocean is definitely fiscally better once you add options onto a Beach. We went the other way as with 3 of us the constant jenga in the Ocean was doing our head in, we find the Beach much more versatile and easier to camp with however ymmv