Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any good tips for autumnal visit 'down South'?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I know it's a bit general but I'm down in Glastonbury at the end of the month (from Manchester) and wondered where I could go afterwards for a few days?
Wondering about a harbour town....Devon...maybe Cornwall...but could be South Coast too. Would be a bonus if I can generally leave the van parked up and either walk or (level) cycle to things to do / places to eat, but it's not a deal breaker, as hopefully the town centre car parks will be quieter now.
Will just be me and a well behaved dog (who rides on the bike).
I like National Trust places, pretty views, nice pubs etc.rosiebike.jpg

I'm around end of October if you ever meander your way down through west sussex

Not too far to Lyme Regis, we stayed at Hook Farm Campsite at Uplyme. Pub next door, dog walking field next door and easy bike ride to Lyme, uphill on the way back though:confused: Love Lyme Regis, Charmouth, West Bay etc. Nice dog :thumb

Lyme Regis is a great area, if you're in C&CC then Monkton Wyld is a very nice site in Charmouth.

Highly recommend Golden Cap at Seatown too... expensive site but views like this... more info on our trip here https://t25campervan.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/holiday-part-2/

2013-07-09_1373401307.jpg

Could do a lot worse than Cheltenham ...... the gateway to the Cotswolds. If you fancy and ned some pointers let me know

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Some good ideas there. I'll probably research a couple of those and decide on the day which way to turn..... Ah the joys of campsites being 'less than full'.

North Devon is a very nice area. There is a long part of the Sustrans C2C trail goes through it.
Barnstaple is right in the middle of a flat section of it. C2C goes from Ilfracombe to Plymouth, but the section around Barnstaple is along the estuary and flat. Seems very dog friendly as we saw a number of cyclists with dogs running next to them. The Tarka Trail goes on through Bideford along old railway lines for a lot of it, so gentle gradients. There is a thread on the forum about camping in N Devon car parks with an amazing location at Appledore looking over the estuary. Nominal fee for parking overnight.
Lydford Gorge is a stunning National Trust walk. The Fox & Hounds on the A386 EX20 4HF has a campsite at the back of it in a large field. Good food in the pub & a couple of miles from the Gorge.
Further on from here is The Drakes Trail http://www.drakestrail.co.uk/pdfs/dt-main-leaflet-2013.pdf & the bridge you can see on the cover here is stunning. Replacing an old railway bridge it is up in the tree canopy going over a valley. Again relatively flat. You could do a circular trip or just the best bits. Nice well lit tunnel on the North end of it. Simon

+1 as per Matt's post Dorset coast

Just an update. I've had a nice few days at Minehead, (well apart from it being an adults only weekend at Butlins in town) and now off to explore those £5/night car parks around Appledore. If I've any feedback I'll put it on the Devon post kindly linked here.

Just an update. I've had a nice few days at Minehead, (well apart from it being an adults only weekend at Butlins in town) and now off to explore those £5/night car parks around Appledore. If I've any feedback I'll put it on the Devon post kindly linked here.

20151102_082641.jpg
View from the van at the (£5 a night) Appledore car park (North Devon) . Thanks for the tip off! Great spot with good pub / chippy / cafe all within 100 yards.
The car park at Westward Ho! also looks fine, but sensed you are a bit more likely to get disturbed at night as it is very central. 20151102_160855.jpg

View attachment 10799
View from the van at the (£5 a night) Appledore car park (North Devon) . Thanks for the tip off! Great spot with good pub / chippy / cafe all within 100 yards.
The car park at Westward Ho! also looks fine, but sensed you are a bit more likely to get disturbed at night as it is very central. View attachment 10800

Glad the car park worked out. It was Martin, who lives not too far from there, who posted the tip originally a few months ago. Did your adorable, well behaved dog get a chance for a run along any of the cycle paths near Appledore, or was the weather just too bad?